Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

One More Reason That You Might Not Be Getting That Package.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 2,846Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tis a shame. Before covid started I had spent the last 30 years exploring the US and spending all of my vacation dollars there. The last few summers I've stayed in Ontario. Because I've had to, but now because it just makes the most sense.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3892 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   5:47 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
There are other States that share similar characteristics, but I will not go into what they are out of respect for this forum because they are overtly political in nature.

That is a good answer. It says a lot. Will leave it at that. Thank you!
Edited by KGV Collector - 01/19/2022 5:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I live in Washington state. I used to work in Seattle and commuted to the city every single day. Then life happened and I got another job outside the city. I now work in the town I live in (same town as when I commuted into Seattle) and have no need to go into Seattle. About a year ago, though, my niece was in town and wanted to meet up with me in Seattle and have dinner. I took the light-rail into the city and walked to the restaurant - it was early for dinner, maybe 4PM. We had a great time talking and joking. Before we knew it, it was 7PM and I had to go. At 4PM, the people on the streets are mainly business people and tourists. Lots of them. Lots of hustle and bustle. Excitement. City life. When I left, it was like they threw open the gates to a whole different KIND of human. On my walk back to the train (about a half mile) I personally witnessed 3 assaults and, maybe, 10 drug deals. All right out in the open. There was not a single business person or tourist to be seen, except for me. Also, quite visible 3 hours earlier, but no longer even a HINT of: policemen. Apparently, there is an unwritten curfew, and at some particular time between 4PM and 7PM, the CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT of Seattle goes from a robust nationally respectable economic ENGINE to MAD MAX. I never got the memo, though. I DID notice on my walk to the restaurant that EVERY SINGLE first story window, and many 2nd story windows, were all boarded up. Here were 50 story glass skyscrapers with wooden-sheathed first stories. Not just a few. Not even a lot. But every one! It is a beautiful city, but look at it in the wrong places, or anywhere at the wrong time, and the sights and smells will literally and figuratively make you gag.

It is this raw underbelly of society that many want to ignore, but it is there. It is this segment of society that is doing what started this topic. They will say that they are doing the things that started this topic in order to survive. I am not even going to comment beyond that.

I can't say that I will never go into the city again, but I can say that I will never be caught there, outside, after normal business hours.

Oh... and happy stamping!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2909 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   7:42 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before you rip on CA any more, they have a lot of homeless there because they can survive living outside because of the weather there *try living outdoors in a Chicago winter) and because there are lots of tourists to beg from.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8182 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Before you rip on CA any more, they have a lot of homeless there because they can survive living outside because of the weather there *try living outdoors in a Chicago winter) and because there are lots of tourists to beg from.

I think that this was more about the crime?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@KGV - you were not far off the mark. Parts of California are a 3rd world country.

@eyeonwall - Sorry, but CA deserves to be ripped on. I'm born and raised here, and the California dream that brought many here, including my parents, is dead or at best on life support. I see it first hand on a very regular basis. There's probably 17,003 reasons why that I respectfully won't get into on a stamp community forum.

I got a small collection of Ireland stamps delivered today, so at least that package didn't end up scattered across the train tracks.
Learn More...
United States
10458 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   9:17 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I agree that weather is a potential factor but only one in a large number of other factors. But I doubt weather is a primary influencer since the state with the largest number of homeless people per capita is a cold weather state (NY) and the three states with the lowest number of homeless (per capita) are warm southern states (Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama). I think the primary influences are variables such as access to affordable housing, drug laws, law enforcement, and how much the localized area support the homeless.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   02:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, Don. It is hard (dare I say impossible) to boil down the human condition to a few factors to determine behavior patterns with any great accuracy. Weather, housing affordability, personal 'situations', personal psychology, local/regional support systems, and probably 50 other factors (40 of which I am too ignorant of the subject to ever guess) all play a role in the 'prevalence' of homelessness. The spectrum of factors and the weight of each of those factors is different for each person. Just as there is a broad spectrum of people here on SCF, there is likely a broader spectrum of homeless people and their reasons for being so. PLUS, there is probably THEIR reason for being so, and then there is likely OUR reason for them being so, and then there is likely the truth. They are likely too close to the truth to see it very clearly, and we are likely not close enough to their truth to see it clearly. Some people can handle huge setbacks in a very healthy way, and some cannot. Also, one person's life-crushing traumatic event is another person's pretty sucky Tuesday.

Having said all that, it is VERY TOUGH to have any compassion for someone doing the things that got this thread started in the first place.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   04:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LadyGrace to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@mootermutt987

I agree
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8182 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Kind of veered off into the homeless but they are not the ones looting trains and smashing and grabbing Nordstrom's. That is being done by organized criminals who are emboldened by the non-enforcement of the law.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Frankly, you are right, rogdcam. It can be so easy to see dirtbags wreaking havoc in the streets (or the railroad tracks) and assume it is a manifestation of the homeless problem. The shear weight of destruction around the RR tracks certainly implies (dare I say, REQUIRES) a fairly great level of organization. Aluminum can collectors aren't going to do what we see there.

And you are right on your 2nd point, as well - that they are emboldened by a lack of enforcement. They do this stuff because they know there is (near) ZERO chance that they will pay the price. One must wonder what kind of video evidence would be required to change that. I suspect it isn't even about the conditions shown in the video, but more about the fact that it is making the rounds on social media. Not THAT it happened, but more about that everyone is SEEING it. I read an article today that law enforcement has been assigned to watch this now - undoubtedly due to the original video.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 01/21/2022 2:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2909 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   11:26 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are nuts if you think the store smash and grab has anything to do with non-enforcement of the law.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8182 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   12:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you say so.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2909 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   09:38 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you not understand how smash and grab works. A large mob people show up out of nowhere and overwhelm the place and they are in and out in a very short amount of time. The only way to deter that would be to have a cop in every store. No city has that many cops. Besides, what can one cop do against a mob? You want to give them an automatic weapon and start shooting? How many innocent shoppers and store workers would get killed in the process? And while you are at it, do you want a cop in every home to prevent home invasion robberies too?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   10:31 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you not understand how smash and grab works.

You'd be surprised at how intelligent the posters here are. What we are talking about is criminal behavior, plain and simple. The underlying reasons for it are not that important. The fact that, in some places, you can steal (riot and loot) without serious consequences, is beyond dispute. Without law and order, society will degenerate quickly.

In my state (Iowa), generally speaking, rioters, looters and other criminals go to jail. They are not treated with greater consideration than their victims. The citizens expect this. It works.

John

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 2,846Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05