Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

One More Reason That You Might Not Be Getting That Package.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 2,832Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2909 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   10:40 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The problem is catching the smash and grabbers, it is not a lack of interest in catching them or prosecuting them.

Yes, there are some places where lawlessness seems to be permitted <cough>Portand<cough>
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8179 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Do you not understand how smash and grab works. A large mob people show up out of nowhere and overwhelm the place and they are in and out in a very short amount of time. The only way to deter that would be to have a cop in every store. No city has that many cops. Besides, what can one cop do against a mob? You want to give them an automatic weapon and start shooting? How many innocent shoppers and store workers would get killed in the process? And while you are at it, do you want a cop in every home to prevent home invasion robberies too?

Nope. Just prosecute the offenders and send a clear message that the party is over. Easy-peasy.

Learn More...
United States
10455 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   1:48 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Smash-and-Grab Robberies Coordinated on Social Media, Law Enforcement Says...

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...cement-says/
Pillar Of The Community
United States
867 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   1:57 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
And while you are at it, do you want a cop in every home to prevent home invasion robberies too?

...that won't be necessary.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8179 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Los Angeles Police chief Michel Moore on Thursday faulted California's "zero bail" policy with returning 14 suspected "smash and grab" looters back to the streets.

"All the suspects taken into custody are out of custody, either as a result of one juvenile, or the others as a result of bailing out or zero-bail criteria," Moore said of 14 suspects arrested in connection with eleven robberies between late last month that cost businesses some $338,000 in stolen merchandise and more than $40,000 in property damage.

The policy also allowed a car-theft suspect to be arrested 13 times in 12 weeks after repeated releases, according to the outlet.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news...o-bail-rule/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3381 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   4:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess the discussion is even less about ecommerce now.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3892 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
End Times!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8179 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   5:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I guess the discussion is even less about ecommerce now.

Seems like a natural progression when the topic is about train looting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2909 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   6:42 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do agree that catch & release/no bail is inappropriate, but my point was they are very hard to catch because they are in & out so fast.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3892 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   04:32 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Why has basic law & order changed so much in 10 years like never before?

What has gone wrong or more wrong?
Learn More...
United States
10455 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   08:13 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi KGV.
The US has one of the highest recidivism rates in the world (77%): within 3 years of their release 2 out of 3 people are rearrested. If you take a look at the history of incarceration, it swings between cycles of 'punishment' and 'rehabilitation' over time. For a while the primary focus is on punishment and then after a while the pendulum swings back towards rehabilitation. The fact that this cycle repeats itself across many countries for centuries without resolution reflects that society has not found an answer for dealing with those among us who are willing to take advantage of others. Given the very high US recidivism rate, the focus on 'defund the police', and the activism seen in the judicial branch, it seems clear that the current focus is more towards rehabilitation as opposed to punishment. Folks can research and decide for themselves if the current emphasis on rehabilitation will be successful or not.

Looting parcels from a train and stealing parcels from a person's front porch are, for me, a much more personal kind of crime. In my mind, and perhaps incorrectly, I feel less offended by someone stealing from a large company or store. (It is short-sighted for me to feel this way since in the end we all pay for any loses by a store or company via higher prices.) But as a person who has been a victim of breaking and entering, I can tell you that you feel personally violated. And when a package that I have been greatly looking forward to goes missing, it really hits home. I think this is why we see so many 'my parcel is late and I am mad' type threads. But as the title of this thread calls out, there are other reasons for missing parcels including criminal behavior.

I assume that the large increase in online ordering has contributed to the increase in parcel theft and parcel looting (43% of Americans surveyed said they had an ecommerce delivery stolen from their front porch in 2020). But because I view this kind of crime as being more personal, I think that it may eventually lead to more pressure to revisit the 'punishment' incarceration cycle.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
586 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Even though it's been a constant evolution, I think we've pretty much reached rock bottom in terms of people respecting "rules" and "authority". Not just the societal kind, but also innermost conscience-inspired restraints on behavior and attitude. I honestly believe that there is a sizeable segment that just does not believe that what they are doing is wrong. Their antisocial behavior is justified by their own perception of being aggrieved due to some type of injustice that life or society has inflicted on them. Then there are other segments that may have some type of conscience but are now inspired by the mottos "no rules" or "break the rules", attitudes that are reinforced constantly through the media, social and otherwise.

I don't see the current form of, or repeated, incarceration accomplishing much with either of these segments. Just teaches the casual offender how to be a better criminal and the petty criminal how to be a hardened one. In the words of Andy Dufresne, "on the outside, I was an honest man, straight as an arrow. I had to come to prison to be a crook"

My solution is to have a three-step process. Offer first time petty offenders whatever services they need to get straight as well as require him/her to compensate the victim. Second time petty offenders (or first time offenders that don't follow through on step one) as well as first time serious offenders get some type of incarceration but again with emphasis on services and one last chance. Third time petty offenders or second time serious offenders go to jail for life. Completely separated from society once and for all. Forget punishment or further "rehabilitation". If you have decided that you can't or won't live by the rules for society, then you won't live in society. Period. No recidivism. Maybe set aside the entire state of Nevada as a penal colony - lock 'em in and let them develop their own society any way they please.

This is why they don't put me in charge of the justice system.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
510 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   2:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Oracle:

Let's add to your well thought-out proposal the requirement that each of these stage one and stage two offenders must to be released to the custody to one of the bleeding hearts who don't think that these offenders are really bad people, live with them while on rehabilitative parole, and that their custodians also become responsible and liable for any future crimes, and suffer the same consequences.

If they think that these people can be rehabilitated, they should participate. Let them put their money and life where their mouth is.

---Oracle, Jr.

Guess I'm not in charge either.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3892 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   5:05 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Grow up in Sydney Australia next to Botany Bay, nice place. In my teens things changed. We could no longer leave our homes or cars unlocked because of thief. In one year my car and 5 other were stolen in a street of 12 houses. It went ballistic Sydney wide all of a sudden. Break and enters. Had the garage cleaned out etc. It basically happened over night. Does anyone in the USA remember this happening in society your end?

Live on an island of 6,000 now and I do not lock my home but my car yes. It is nice to go back in time here. You can only go on off island by water here.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3892 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   6:35 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another issue that is coming to mind is should I stop selling to the USA?
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 67 / Views: 2,832Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05