Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Suggestions For Hingeless Album

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,035Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is my stamp room:

The bottom post are my French Schaubek Albums.

In the first photo the red albums on the shelves are the lighthouse
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Paris Exhibition - 01/17/2022 11:26 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1696 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   12:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! That's impressive
Could you give some back story about how you started and what you started with?
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   07:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just Fella,

Sure. I started collecting when I was 5. My family was quite poor, and I don't know how I got the stamp album. It may have been a present. The album was noting more than a paper booklet, maybe 20 or 30 pages, and I got a bunch of stamps with it, all cancelled, all common varieties from around the world. It was fun seeing pictures of all the interesting people and thing, and it actually got me interested in learning at a very young age. After some time, I got a real album with a hard cover, and of course more stamps. It really got me interested in the world around me. It truly motivated me intelletually, and I was the first person in my family to go to college. After that I joined the Navy and I got to visit some of the exotic places I read about.My first fisit to Europe was flying into NAS Rota (Naval Air Station, Rota, Spain). I travelled via MATS (Military Air Transport System) in a turboprop plane ant the trip from, I think it was New Jersey, was about 10 hours if I remember. Rota was a small Spanish town, not known for anything and not near anything but I really loved it for the short time I was there. Then I proceeded on to Toulon, France where I met my ship, which was attached to the Sixth Fleet. I visited a lot of ports in the Med, snd then my ship reverted to the 2nd Fleet, to which it was permanently attached. The Second Fleet is the North Atlantic. Did get to see the Caribbean a little, but mostly Norfolk and chasing Russian subs in the North Atlantic.

Anyway, stamp collecting eventually became merged in my mind with good times and adventure. A company I worked for in the Boston area, needed to send some administrative/techncal people to their Affiliate in Paris, (CII-CHB - Honeywell Bull) and I was the first to volunteer. I lived in Paris for three years, and it was like a dream. When I was scheduled to go back to the States, the French Company offered me a permanent job. I almost took it. But in the end I decided to come back. While in Paris I would often go to the Marche de Puce (Flee Market) and find stamps that I liked.

Stamp collecting is connected in my mind to a lot of good things in my life. I guess that is the gist of it.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1696 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you,
Wonderful story and very impressive!
Nothing but respect for you
I'll be looking forward to learn more from you
Edited by Just_fella - 01/18/2022 11:08 am
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   09:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for sharing that great story, Paris. And thank you for your service.
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   11:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That really is a great story 'Paris Exhibition.' But my take on 'Dorset's query is use stock books. That is what I use now exclusively and have actually transferred most of my stamps into stock books from country-based printed albums. I do like to buy old albums though and try to fill in the gaps that remain which is usually extensive. Here is one I am working on at the moment.
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys, for the compliments.

Like I said, stamp collecting has been part of my life as long as I can remember.

I guess I was lucky.
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   3:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Paris Exhibition to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice Album, NickIreland.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,035Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05