Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada: Info Please On Confederation & War Tax Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 460Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dorset to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'd like to know the date of the yellow 5c war tax stamp, and what might have been the taxable item. Also, does the mark on lower right corner of 1927 2c green Confederation stamp appear to be a hand cancel, in addition to the larger one in the center?
Thanks,
Stephen

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi there. I've been drinking, but here goes. The 5c War Tax stamp is from 1920 and it is a Revenue stamp, not postal of course. Cat number is FWT11 I believe. The 2017 van Dam catalogue says these were for commercial banking, luxury tax, etc. Mint value is only $7 Canadian, 25 cents used.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7909 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen, you may get faster answers if you post this in the Canadian forum?
Sorry, posted this too late!

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 01/15/2022 8:17 pm
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Peter, I'm glad you're enjoying your Saturday night! Raise a cup for me, brother! Thanks for that info. Canada has had some beautiful stamps. That Confederation 1927 is gorgeous. I think I'll send a note to the mods to move it.
Cheers!
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry, Peter, Casey's the one drinking! Thanks Casey!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35185 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Stephen,
be aware of the advantage of our Forum's "SEARCH" option,
you may wish to employ it before posting queries,

The knowledge base here is amazing

CANADIAN WAR TAX
A fabulous treatment by Jamesw...........

http://goscf.com/t/40126&whichpage=2#508291 br /
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/15/2022   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually I've found the search to be troublesome. I will use it and other sources for in depth info.
ADD: I just had better luck after trying it again. I wasn't scrolling down past the ads section.
Thanks.
Edited by Dorset - 01/15/2022 11:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1307 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dorset, the 1927 2 cent "Fathers of Confederation" 50th anniversary issue is quite common used. Yours was cancelled with a duplex hammer consisting of two parts. The circular place, date and time stamp, and to the right of it is the oval 8 bar killer cancel. These were applied by hand, just hit inkpad and then literally hammer the envelope.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   2:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dorset, the 1927 2 cent "Fathers of Confederation" 50th anniversary issue is quite common used. Yours was cancelled with a duplex hammer consisting of two parts. The circular place, date and time stamp, and to the right of it is the oval 8 bar killer cancel. These were applied by hand, just hit inkpad and then literally hammer the envelope.

Thanks very much for this
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1307 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   11:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a followup, shown below is an actual hammer from a post office similar to the one used. It does not have the date indica plugs installed and has a nine bar killer grid in the oval.

Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   09:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's impressive! Thank you.
Stephen
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 460Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05