Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

If You Had $50.00 To Spend, What US Stamp Would You Buy?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,138Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   12:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dorset to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm just wondering if there would be any consensus among the community if you all had 50 bucks you had to buy a stamp with. I thought I'd keep it to U.S., but any stamp, really. I'd like to start adding to this pitiful collection of mine.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
614 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For me the $50 price point is a tough one. I would probably buy a misregistered EFO stamp that was dramatic. I don't pick stamps out by cat number when I buy them as I have become somewhat topical.

I am focused more on accumulation than studying what I have currently. I also don't know if I just throw money away for a dumb hobby or I am sitting on a goldmine. Also not sure if I care. Many things bother me as I spend up in the hobby. So I feel like the first $50 was a stepping stone drug. It didn't do anything except make me want other ones. Then you get completion goals. Then you spend way more, and realize there is always an elusive thing that is either impossible financially or based on scarcity. I guess you just have to follow your own path.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rismoney - 01/16/2022 12:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6381 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   12:48 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If I had $50 to spend, I shouldn't blow it on one stamp - that would buy me 100s, and much more fun.
Valued Member
United States
211 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   1:05 pm  Show Profile Check jamesg's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, not knowing what you have, that is hard to say. If it were me and didn't have much yet, I think the best early buy you can make is to look for a good "remainder" collection from a private collector (not a 'big' dealer type), where the expensive stuff has been picked and sold off, but a large quantity of the less expensive items remains. I've had some real finds in these where what was left over was just amazing!

For anywhere from $100-1000 you can get some pretty amazing collections on eBay typically that will be a good start to a U.S. collection including 19th century - for early/mid 20th century you'd pay even less ~~ $50-100.

Look for quality - not junk and be patient until the 'right one' comes along. This is also a great way to buy later issues (1980-2022) in bulk and pay less than face value for usually complete periods.
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I spend more than that by mistake. You will soon up the ante as you get further into this hobby.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I spend more than that by mistake. You will soon up the ante as you get further into this hobby"

I'll keep this post away from my wife!
Valued Member
102 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1847 5c Franklin would be nice, but I don't think possible for $50 any more. So I'm going to cheat a little bit and say the 20th century $5 definitives...Prexie (Coolidge), Liberty (1053-Hamilton), Prominent Americans (1295), Great Americans (Harte) and even the Americana railroad lantern. ALL of those spaces were empty in my childhood collection so I always considered them all iconic and important. I think for $50 you could get 4 of the 5 mint, with change leftover for a nice used Coolidge.

For WW, I would go with Penny Black or maybe Canada Bluenose(mint) although $50 is pretty tight budget for either.
Valued Member
United States
349 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   2:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with GeoffHa. I'd use it to target as many cheapies as I could get.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1941 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd buy something I don't have.

Jack Kelley
Valued Member
United States
123 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Personally for $50 I'd probably grab one of the early Liechtenstein stamps I'm missing.

Here are a couple of suggestions for you if you want to add $50 of stamps to a US starter collection:

Scott 323-27 (Louisiana Purchase), SCV is about $84 used, on eBay right now for about $25.
Scott 294-299 (Pan Am Expo Set), SCV about $120, on eBay about $50.
Scott 239 (30 cent Columbian), SCV about $100, can get on eBay for about $40

I find the early US commemoratives attractive and interesting. I don't have a lot of early US because I find Ben and George to be, well, rather boring and unattractive . . .

Pillar Of The Community
United States
3923 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's always a Mint Australian Kangaroo that I'm missing
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   5:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great suggestions, guys. Thanks. I definitely like the early series. I have the beginnings of several, so I might fill some in. I'm not yet sure if I will buy several cheaper ones or do it slowly with a better than average example now and then. At any rate, I'm enjoying the process.
Thanks again,
Stephen
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
70 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   7:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Going Postal to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With my meager collection of US mint, I'd probably use that $50 to fill a lot of holes in the years 1970-2000. Like others have mentioned I'd like to get a lot of bang for my bucks, and that's a lot of low cost bang.
Valued Member
United States
431 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That would be hard because, limiting it to the U.S. within my areas of interest, I'd be hard pressed to find a single stamp that I need that would run me less than $50.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7886 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It all depends on what I see on eBay. There is always something interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1696 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My 50$ would go to a specialized catalogue.
Then I would go threw what I had,
If I was choosing to collect this area.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,138Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05