Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

If You Had $50.00 To Spend, What US Stamp Would You Buy?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,140Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
55 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wshuwahere77 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would get a Scott #301 lh, xf. Just about that price point.

But in general, for $50, more fun to be had buying a collection or accumulation and going through it. I picked up a duplicates collection in December and still going through it for over a month.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1271 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   10:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My personal choice would have to be Scott #3138, the alternate Bugs Bunny pane from 1997. It's the only major Scott number that is still missing from my collection of MNH U.S. postage from 1931 to 2005 (my cutoff date). CV is $140, but I've seen it for as little as $50 on eBay.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1199 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Individual stamps I want for my Canada collection all run over $50, so instead maybe I'd pick up a lot of cheap common used from the classic period and go through it looking for interesting cancels, potential re-entries, that kind of fun.

Although come to think of it, I have a lot just like that I bought last year for that purpose - and I still haven't gotten around to going through it...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would try to snag one of my very early Hidalgo, imperial eagle or Emperor Maximilian stamps that are currently out of my reach :) - those spaces call to me. $50 probably won't get me there but u never know.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great ideas all of you. Nora, that's a nice looking group. Thanks for showing. I think I might consider a stamp in the trans-Mississippi series, if I find a nice example. I have an OK #286 that I soaked of the old album page. I'll post it.
Thank you all again!
Stephen
Edited by Dorset - 01/17/2022 3:02 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
551 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A problem arises when everything you are still missing is priced well above $50 per stamp. Such is usually the case with long-time collectors, as they already have all the "cheaper" stuff.
Valued Member
425 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   4:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hedge on inflation

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
614 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
patg23, probably the best use, no kidding aside.

Meaningful valuation appreciation doesn't seem to happen on the lower end ($50-250). Either there is enough availability, or the scarcity is already factored into pricing. This makes the only real way for an increase to occur through finds and discoveries. I generally don't see stamps just rise in value organically. A $300 stamp hasn't turned into a $3000 or $30,000. Ya just dont see that enthusiasm. I have been sitting on high value stamps forever and they don't magically skyrocket. Trophies, yes. The lower uncommons, no.

Its only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Final thought on this - if you read Linns you might be tempted to believe Gitner's columns about good buys. While there is good info in them, suggesting a price that you think is reasonable of assets you own is hardly unbiased.

Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LadyGrace to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't know what one single stamp to get for $50... I would try to get some Godzilla stamps or a 3 cent beaver. I'm probably just not familiar with that many stamps worth $50.
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
790 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   10:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If You Had $50.00 To Spend, What US Stamp Would You Buy?

What US stamp/s does one need for green card?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7886 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   12:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rismoney-such raises have occasionally happened in some revenue varieties; the double transfer of RS29b went from a cat of $275 to a cat of $1000 a few years ago because of an auction sale (they rarely come up for sale). But I agree it's very rarely happened.
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   1:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This should probably be a whole other thread, but I just reviewed my credit card purchases for 2021. I spend over $15 a day on stamps on average.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow Casey!
Yeah, I learned a long time ago, eBay and alcohol........
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   3:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I know. I spend less money on gasoline. Need to narrow my interests down to 3 or 4 things...
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,140Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05