Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Stamps Early 20th Century-How Should I Proceed?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,193Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Dorset to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These are the pages from a book given to me some time ago. It is part of a larger accumulation. I realize the vast majority are common, but I thought I'd put them up in case someone might spot something "other than common".

My question is, how would you collectors suggest I remove them from this dirty, damaged book and transfer them to a better album. I asked the question about albums in another thread and got some great tips about stock-books, which I have been checking out on eBay.

The boy who had this collection, although many are obviously in poor to fair condition, also has a surprising number of nicely centered new and lightly cancelled examples. My guess is that he sent away for some of them. I think many are worth preserving and a great start to my collection.
Stephen

Send note to Staff
Edited by Dorset - 01/16/2022 8:43 pm

Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would leave them on the pages, unless as a whole the thing is damaged with pages removed, moldy in spots. I don't see a need for immediate action. To proceed I would keep this as is and keep on buying more of what I (you) like.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I didn't say rare. I used the word unique in it's normal definition, "uncommon." I don't have a collecting style because I am not a collector, rather someone interested in becoming one. I know absolutely nothing about stamps. If someone from this forum sees a stamp that he or she finds interesting,or uncommon, and tells me about it, then I've learned something, and I have a place to begin some sort of research.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would leave them on the pages, unless as a whole the thing is damaged with pages removed, moldy in spots. I don't see a need for immediate action. To proceed I would keep this as is and keep on buying more of what I (you) like.

Thanks, Casey.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1892 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, sorry I mentioned rare, you didn't
Edited by Just_fella - 01/16/2022 8:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9021 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dorset - The Finland stamps are actually Russian stamps.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, Rogdcam, the kid sometimes mixed up countries. I found an Ireland stamp in with India!

ADD: I must say, those Russian ones on the Finland page really caught my eye as being very pretty. The colors are gorgeous.
Edited by Dorset - 01/16/2022 8:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just Fella,
Thanks. No problem.
Pillar Of The Community
4578 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I used the word unique in it's normal definition, "uncommon."

I must disagree with your above definition as normal.

"Unique" = a supply of 1. Period.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I like the cancel on your first GB stamp on the page - I have not seen it. Very interesting that the collector placed Russian stamps on the Finland page. The stamps are pretty common - definitely a great start to a collection. In terms of keeping them on the pages - if the pages or album shows any signs of toning (yellowing/darkening), mold, etc - I personally would take them off (I assume they are hinged on?) I would clean them up and place them in order in your stock book. Once you find the countries that you really want to focus on, you can put them in a new album that suits your needs.

Me personally - since I am a novice, I purchased pages from Stamp Albums.com and I get access to all the countries and print the countries and dates that I want (only exception is Mexico which is my prized collection - I did invest in a Scott specialized album through a dealer).

I tried black mounts with my US. collection (and regretted it personally) so I use clear mounts on everything else that I collect. I love your passion for learning about stamp collecting and learning - I am on a similar path. Nora.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"I must disagree with your above definition as normal.

"Unique" = a supply of 1. Period."

I can see that I must be very careful with my terminology around here. I will edit the original post so we don't get hung up in semantics. I apologize for the confusion I've caused. I simply wanted to know if there was anything, shall I say, "other than common" in this book. Not rare, not valuable, just something, be it a stamp or cancellation, that one doesn't come across every day.
Edited by Dorset - 01/16/2022 8:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
4578 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
PLEASE, do not go back and edit previous posts once additional posts have been made afterwards. It destroys the continuity of the thread and often makes the later posts meaningless to the flow.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, I like the cancel on your first GB stamp on the page - I have not seen it. Very interesting that the collector placed Russian stamps on the Finland page. The stamps are pretty common - definitely a great start to a collection. In terms of keeping them on the pages - if the pages or album shows any signs of toning (yellowing/darkening), mold, etc - I personally would take them off (I assume they are hinged on?) I would clean them up and place them in order in your stock book. Once you find the countries that you really want to focus on, you can put them in a new album that suits your needs.

Me personally - since I am a novice, I purchased pages from Stamp Albums.com and I get access to all the countries and print the countries and dates that I want (only exception is Mexico which is my prized collection - I did invest in a Scott specialized album through a dealer).

I tried black mounts with my US. collection (and regretted it personally) so I use clear mounts on everything else that I collect. I love your passion for learning about stamp collecting and learning - I am on a similar path. Nora.

Nora, I noticed that cancellation as well. I thought it was quite neat. Have you put any pics up?
Thanks,
Stephen
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   8:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stephen - haha - yes many many pictures. I am sure my friends on the forum smiled at that comment. If you click on my profile, you can see my posts and pictures. I most actively post on my Mexico Stamp Album (Scott), Great Britain Novice edition, recently the stamps of Sweden on Steiner pages and also France. I joined the site two years ago and have been on a journey learning so much from everyone here. I still call my self a new/novice collector because 2 years is truly a newbie! I still hesitate to ask certain things on here feeling a bit shy or that I might embarrass myself. Like I said if you click on my profile and look at past posts (choose more then last 20 posts so you can get more examples), you will see my progression from knowing nothing to let's say something. :). I also collect WW in general - for the learning and I ask a lot of questions, from watermarking to perfs, cancels you name it.

Glad you are here!
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/16/2022 9:03 pm
Valued Member
147 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   9:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What album is this? It is definitely Harris. I compared it to my 1935 Captain Tim which has very similar layout although only half as many pages, so I'm guessing this is the Harris intermediate WW line which existed then (which I'm guessing also was 30's/40's). I'm a huge fan of children's albums from this period and I have always wanted to fill every single space in one.

Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   10:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
tsmatx,
You got it right. Harris (1934) Boston. The pages were falling out, and yellowing, foxing. That's why l I'd like to remove the stamps.
Edited by Dorset - 01/16/2022 10:20 pm
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 1,193Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05