Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

World Stamps Early 20th Century-How Should I Proceed?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 914Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tsmatx,
Had I known you had an interest in these I would have given it to you. I removed the remaining pages in order to scan them, and chucked the loose empty ones.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
4304 Posts
Posted 01/16/2022   11:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, antique stamp albums are collected/collectible.

On the tangent of Captain Tim, there are 3 major covers.
The upper left type has 66 pages.
The other two and the "Adventurer Album" all have 128-130 pages.

I have two copies of the lower left album, with different title pages the first is headlined on the title page: "The Ivory Album for" (on yellowing newsprint paper) and the second is ""The Adventurer Album for" (with fairly nice paper). There are some other title page differences, beyond what I want to do here.

To do a full study of Captain Tim and other Harris albums of this period, I would start with Wayne Youngblood's article on Captain Tim the "American Philatelist" about 15 years ago.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
643 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   12:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I can see that I must be very careful with my terminology around here.

Not just here. Philately is a very exact hobby; "simple" collections are only so because the owner has chosen to ignore one or more details: for example, the Stanley Gibbons color key describes ~200 colors used over the centuries for stamps, changes in perforation can be measured down to 0.06mm, and some cancelations were used for only a few hours at a single post office.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35184 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   01:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi, I like the cancel on your first GB stamp on the page - I have not seen it.

Hi Nora,
GRACECHURCH STREET (LONDON) (A Branch Office)

I believe the "L1" in the hexagonal duplex half
refers to a code "TOO LATE" for whatever service the sender was trying to achieve.
(To catch a certain Coach and four, for example)

This code is pertinent to Gracechurch Street Only.
see correction in later post

Edited by rod222 - 01/17/2022 6:59 pm
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   02:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,
That's exactly the kind of thing I was hoping for. What a great thing, to know that! That's the past coming alive, right there.
Thanks. You made my night.
ADD: And thanks Nora, for asking about that cancel!
Edited by Dorset - 01/17/2022 02:34 am
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
790 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob Roy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you plan to collect in stock books, why do you feel the need to keep the integrity of the falling apart Harris album? To sell to antique albums collectors?
For used stamps, I'd go with Nora's recommendation, remove and soak them to clean and remove hinges and album leftovers. It will also enable you to correct and straighten folded corners.
If some of them are mint-hinged - I'd cut the hinges and try not to soak them, depending on their condition. I'm a novice WW collector too. Very novice.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   09:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what I wrote:

"My question is, how would you collectors suggest I remove them from this dirty, damaged book and transfer them to a better album."

I said nothing about preserving the integrity of the original album. It's a complete mess.
Edited by Dorset - 01/17/2022 09:36 am
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   09:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd go with Nora's recommendation, remove and soak them to clean and remove hinges and album leftovers. It will also enable you to correct and straighten folded corners.
If some of them are mint-hinged - I'd cut the hinges and try not to soak them, depending on their condition

Thank you RR. This is what I think I'm going to attempt.
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
RobRoy,
I like your thought about smoothing out the corners. I also think a lot of the perfs will clean up. There are stamps with nice perfs that appear to be a little soiled around the very edge.. So I hope they'll clean up.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also note that the two Russian stamps in the Finland section that have overprints are from Siberia, which at the time was a breakaway from the Bolshevik government.

The 9p Jamaica George V stamp catalogs over a dollar, most of the others not so much, and are often sold by the pound
Edited by Willwood42 - 01/17/2022 09:56 am
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   10:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Willwood!
Edited by Dorset - 01/17/2022 10:01 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many thanks for displaying
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Many thanks for displaying"

Pleasure's mine. Thanks.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35184 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
After exhaustive searching, finally found information on the
GRACECHURCH (TOO LATE) Hammer impressions.

I was thinking they did not exist.

Note: correction, L1 code also used at Mark Lane and Ludgate Circus
mis-posted articles.

Still up for confirmation, (I am still a student of this discipline)
but here you go.......

Edited by rod222 - 01/17/2022 6:57 pm
Valued Member
United States
117 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   7:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dorset to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,
Man, thanks for this. I really appreciate you finding that. I find it so interesting. It's much earlier than I thought. I'm glad that so much of the cancel was on the stamp. I have been looking for examples of this stamp. It seems the more valuable ones have am "IR Official" overprint. Am I to understand this stamp was doubly employed as a postage and tax stamp?
Again, I thank you, Rod222.
Stephen
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 39 / Views: 914Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05