Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My 6 Month Collection/Addiction

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,696Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
140 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bubbachismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
6 months ago I bought a large stamp collection that had a coin collection that I wanted attached to the deal. I had no intention of collecting stamps. Well that didn't work out as planned. It's been just under 6 months and it's getting out of hand lol. Would love to see your comments on my beginning

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
499 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   10:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rdavid to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You appear to have some very nice stamps. Could you scan a few of them at higher resolution? Thanks
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Absolutely. Any ones imparticular?

Pillar Of The Community
United States
6386 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you scan the 24 Winfield Scott? Interesting cancel.
Edited by stallzer - 01/17/2022 10:34 pm
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   10:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35846 Posts
Posted 01/17/2022   11:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!

An Australian song comes to mind.......

"Overkill"

I can't get to sleep
I think about the implication
Of diving in too deep
And possibly the complications
Especially at night

RY7S6EgSlCI
t=RDRY7S6EgSlCI&index=1
Edited by rod222 - 01/17/2022 11:24 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
980 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   12:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am going to say this to be truthful - not to be a dick - because it sounds like you want truth. There are many stamps here that have value - on he first stocksheet, anything with a face value over 5-cents is fairly valuable. On the 2nd stocksheet, the 6c, 10c, 12c, and 15c 1869's (the 'squarish stamps about 2/3 down) are fairly valuable. The 24c and the 90c on the 2nd to last row also have value. Most of the others on the later stocksheets are someone's attempt to collect (probably) cancels. I suspect the collector was going for variety rather than rarity. The 24c with the cancel that you were asked for a closed up looks like a New York Foreign Mail cancel. Interesting, and collectible, but not a winning lottery ticket.

So.... I pointed out a bunch a 'valuable' stamps. Now for the big letdown. There appears to be faults with most every one. It is usually hard to tell from an entire page, but it wasn't too hard with these. The ones that you showed close-ups of, they appear to be faulty, without doubt. Real world value would be under 10% of catalog value - RETAIL. At some point, you should have a collector look at the collection in person and let him look at the faults in order to give you a better evaluation. There MIGHT be one or two sound valuable stamps there. Like I said - this looks like a 10% CV (MAX) lot, but there is still a few $1000 CV there, so net is still nothing to throw away. There will be people here to tell you that my estimate of value (10% of CV) is way over-estimated, and I would not argue with that POV.

If the coins in the lot met your expectations and your price was for them and not the stamps, then you are ahead of the game a bit. Don't plan on retiring on these, though.

I collect the first two issues of USA (the imperforate stamps of 1847 and 1851 - the top 2 rows of your first stockpage) and looking at your first photo, it looks like the 2nd and (possibly) the 3rd stamps on Row #2 are either USA #10 or #10A. The 2nd in the row looks like it is from the top row of either Plate 1, 2, 5, or 0. There are plenty of people here that get off on plating stamps from this era.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 01/18/2022 12:45 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35846 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   03:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bubba,
your 24c Postmark, may be found here at "Stampsmarter"
https://stampsmarter.org/features/NYFM_home.html

Maybe this one from Page 14 ?

Edited by rod222 - 01/18/2022 03:58 am
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   07:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow great feedback thus far everyone. Very much appreciated! I'll give some context on my purchases. The beginning stamp/coin collection cost me $600. 6 cardboard boxes of us and world stamps including 6 world Supreme albums. Though most of the stamps were 40s-70s. The coins however were earlier including a few seated liberty dimes and a surprise 20 mark 1882 gold coin. The 20 mark basically paid for everything. Since then I've been purchasing collections and lots that are seemingly undervalued for the amount of stamps in them as long as they have an early stamp that I don't have yet in my collection. The faults I have have all been through those lots such as scott #1 with the tear. I will eventually upgrade them and as I got further into it I have started to become more picky about it. I have so many stamps to identify its going to be a hobby for a long time lol. I'm 40, ill get to it eventually haha. I'm going to post my back of book stuff today, I definitely went overboard on my 1st issue revenue stamps. It's funny how the same Washington picture can be so enticing to have more and more lol. I'll just post one picture of that here and move over to the correct thread to post my revenues and other bob stamps. Much love to the whole community here and a shout out to any Pottstown stamp club members.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 01/18/2022   07:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a link to the Bob thread
http://goscf.com/t/79801#723689
Valued Member
Canada
55 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeeBee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wish that my start in stamps was as spectacular as yours. What a great group of items to begin a collection with. All you have left now are a bunch of inexpensive items.
Valued Member
United States
140 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks DeeDee, unfortunately my eyes are on the most expensive right now. I really love number 2 the Washington stamp with x's instead if the number 10. This collection was bought with an average well under $50 per stamp for the first page and much lower than that for the others. Lots of eBay cherry picking. It's much appreciated and a blast to collect and share.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see these stock pages and I think "OCD." Hopefully there was some rhyme or reason to the original collector's methodology, but without documentation perhaps accumulator is a better word to use.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
980 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Note the different colors of the 4 revenues on the 2nd to last row. That particular stamp is famous among revenue collectors for coming in a spectrum of colors - THOUSANDS of different shades all evenly spaced (Each discernibly different, but only barely so) from one extreme to the other. I bought a large lot of them once - perhaps 75 of them - all different shades - all laid out from one extreme to the other. It is like a rainbow. There are very few issues in philately that have a wider range of normal coloration.

I am glad you found this lot and 'fell into' stamp collecting. I believe some people have the collecting bug and some don't. Those that do, but don't know they do, will see the light after finding just the right carton of 'something' and it starts a whole new passion. Sounds like you found your carton. Or 6. Hahahaha! I guess if you are going to jump in, you might as well jump in with both feet.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1946 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jkelley01938 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bubbachismo,

You have a seriously nice collection. And you're just starting??

Jack Kelley
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 33 / Views: 1,696Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05