Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Endangered Species On Wwf Stamps

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 2,212Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   03:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Orangutan (Pongo pygmaeus), great ape native to the rainforests of Indonesia and Malaysia, issued by Indonesia on March 6, 1989:

In addition to the set of stamps, two SS's were issued. They became little expensive (70-100 Euro in online selling) although in 1989 I bought the couple for 5-10$ if I remember correctly:

The complete set on a registered cover sent to Switzerland:
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   04:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gonepteryx rhamni "Brimstone"
Guernsey.
Sc# 589 1997 37p
Kings of longevity, 10-14 months.
Edited by rod222 - 01/29/2022 04:17 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   04:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Acipenser Ruthensus (STERLET)

Romania. Sc#3954 1994 150 Lei.

Anadromous populations have been extirpated.

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More items of the 1989 Indonesia WWF Orangutan set I posted above;

A set of four official maxi cards:

A cover sent regular to Switzerland franked with three stamps of the set:
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   04:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Southern Muriqui (Brachyteles arachnoides), a monkey species endemic to Brazil. Here is a set of two stamps issued by Brazil on July 2, 1984:

Official Maxi card and FDC issued by the Brazilian post applied with commemorative postmark shows the Muriqui:

Official Maxi cards issued by the WWF stamp agent:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   03:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Central chimpanzee or tschego (Pan troglodytes troglodytes), a subspecies of the common chimpanzee, issued by the Central African Republic on April 25, 2012:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   02:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As a great fan of engraved stamps, I wondered how many engraved WWF stamps were issued. Looking in my engraved stamps album, I can find only one set issued by Czechoslovakia. I searched the web and eBay and I was surprise to learn there are few engraved WWF stamps like France (first WWF stamp in world, 1969) and Greenland. I sure there are others but not many although hundreds of different WWF set of stamps were issued since 1969.

Here is the only engraved WWF set I have, issued by Czechoslovakia on July 18, 1989 depicting endangered amphibians, designed by Radana Podzemna Hamsikova.

2K. European Fire-bellied Toad (Bombina bombina), engraved by M. Srb
3K. Yellow-bellied Toad (Bombina variegata), engraved by Bedrich Housa
4K. Alpine newt (Triturus alpestris), engraved by Bohumil Sneider
5K. Montadon's newt (Triturus montandoni), engraved by Milos Ondracek

Edited by LaoPhil - 02/04/2022 02:22 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   05:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I absolutely adore those Czech stamps,
from when I first spied them 20 years ago.

As a youth, I collected Newts, had a bath in the back garden
with 10-20 Newts. Rocks plants, the whole shebang. Just loved them.

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod, as one as lived all his life in apartment without a yard or garden, I expressed my love to animals only by collecting animal stamps

The lar gibbon (Hylobates lar), also known as the white-handed gibbon, are found in Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar and Thailand. This set was issued by Laos on April 3, 2008:

Imperforated Sheet (Note the spelling mistake in the word "World"):
Edited by LaoPhil - 02/06/2022 11:22 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 02/07/2022   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod, as one as lived all his life in apartment without a yard or garden, I expressed my love to animals only by collecting animal stamps

What a lovely sentiment, Eli.
May we respect all sentient beings, I rescued a bee, the other day
it was struggling on the lawn, so I gave it a teaspoon of honey,
and away it went 5 mins later.

I would find it hard, to live without space, a gift that Australia
(used to) offer as a premium.
My Bee hotel, resident frogs, Kookaburras in the trees
sometimes hand feed my Magpies. Resident stumpy tailed lizard.

A quarter of my garden (My friends ridicule me, by calling it a "Blank Canvas")
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 02/07/2022   03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 02/08/2022   12:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Drill (Mandrillus leucophaeus or Papio leucophaeus) is a primate of the Old World monkeys, found in Nigeria, Cameroon and on Bioko Island, part of Equatorial Guinea, in rainforest habitats. This set was issued by Cameroon on May 25, 1988:

Three covers franked with the set stamps, sent to Finland and Israel:

Will show more commercial covers as well as a set of Maxi cards.
Edited by LaoPhil - 02/08/2022 12:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a set of four maxi cards and three more commercial covers of the Cameroon set of WWF stamps shows The Drill (Mandrillus leucophaeus or Papio leucophaeus) I posted above:

Pillar Of The Community
Israel
1187 Posts
Posted 02/10/2022   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add LaoPhil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Campbell's mona monkey, also known as Campbell's guenon and Campbell's monkey, (Cercopithecus campbelli), is a species of primate found in the Ivory Coast, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Liberia, Senegal, and Sierra Leone. This WWF set and SS were issued by Guinea Bissau in 2013:

issued in a sheet contains two sets:

Souvenir sheet:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 02/10/2022   11:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vulpes zerda (Fennec Fox)
Not threatened by extinction apparently.
Yemen Rep of, 1989 (Not mine)

Today:
Edited by rod222 - 02/10/2022 11:13 pm
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 63 / Views: 2,212Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05