Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mexico 1869 Puebla Sfl Internal Mail To Veracruz (Not Perambur)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 298Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/19/2022   9:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Mrita75 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I bought this piece - I thought is was interesting and I found it on a less known bidding site - not expensive and I like the stamp. I do not have many letters/covers so this is what I figured out so far - hoping the experts could add some detail/info for my learning.

This letter was sent in 1869 - finally figured out SFL = Self Folded Letter from Puebla to Perambur a neighborhood located in the northern region of Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.Are these SFL pretty collectable? would love any insight. Thank you, Nora.

Send note to Staff
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/20/2022 10:21 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2799 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   03:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, here it is a FL = folded letter. SFL is a stampless folded letter, generally. And yes, since this is the way a lot of mail was sent back then, such covers are certainly collectible and collected.

I feel that the destination is actually a scribbled "VeraCruz". There should be some kind of ship transit mark or at east a receiving cancel, though sometimes those got missed. 25c was a domestic rate at this time. No country of destination is indicated; when such things were done by a writer, a postal clerk handling it would often write it in.

Sorry, but the stamp, which is thick figures, doesn't look genuine in that "25. CENT" does not match any of the 10 transfer types reported. I also thought that PUEBLA should be reading upward. Perhaps someone who collects Puebla or the full face Hidalgos can chime in.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3321 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The great postal fraud 1870-1871

oPSl6XnXWDQ
Edited by perf12 - 01/20/2022 07:03 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   08:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you both. I'm going to dig in further to see what I can find out. I definitely do not think it says Veracruz. But Perambur seems strange. I was also confused by no receiving mark and I was not sure what Internal Mail meant? That was in the description - it also said BIN 71 but I assumed that was the sellers tracking or inventory number. The inside flap says Dionisio Galan (maybe) Puebla Recibida Agosto 19 - than I think I see a 4. I've started the Video! Love it perf12.
Edited by Mrita75 - 01/20/2022 08:50 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
2209 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think your cover is addressed to :
Seņores
Zaldo Hermanos y Compaņia
Vera Cruz

And on the inside flap : Dionisio Zaldo

http://www.enterospostales.es/articulos.php?id=268
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6376 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   08:52 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nora - I read that as Vera Cruz before reading any of the comments!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again guys- the C in "Veracruz" is throwing me off - does not match the writers other cs - but definitely makes a lot more sense. The Video is amazing almost done with it - will check out Vayolene's link next.

What a Stamp Novela :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Vayolene:
Amazing - you are like the Sherlock Holmes of Philately. I Read the article - definitely makes sense. After reading that and seeing the family Bruno Zaldo y Rivera (and his brothers) came from Spain through Veracruz to establish businesses. One of the brother Dionisio Zaldo founded Centro Mercantil de Veracruz and a financial group that acted like a Bank - Zaldo Hermanos y Cia. So - if I had to guess I would think that this was maybe a payment or something made to this family. Thank you all.

Also the Video was extremely helpful and I will definitely be using that knowledge with my Hidalgo stamps. Really interesting - what an Inside Job! Attaching a close up of the stamp.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 298Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05