Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

First Foray Into An Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 497Next Topic  
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   5:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
(The things you find while going through old boxes)

First time bidding in an auction. No idea what I was doing, or why these.

Can't remember if this was suggested or minimum bid.

I do remember Mom was not happy she had to write a check for me.

You can see these followed me around from east to west coast.

Not my area. Can anyone type these from the picture? Did I beat inflation?

Good times!
pat

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   7:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greetings Pat
Top stamp missing pearls is Scott 35
Bottom stamp is either the one of the 70 series or one of the 78 series which are denominated by color, an orange is not recognized.
Regards mark
Edit: if it makes you feel better, I think you did marvelously!
Cheers
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by GMC89 - 01/20/2022 7:15 pm
Valued Member
Canada
471 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was 3 months old back then. Impressed that you still have these together.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The #35 looks to have a foreign receiving cancel of some sort (the orange cancel). This stamp was commonly used on mail to foreign destinations (or coast-to-coast within the USA). It has an extremely 'dry' print - all kinds of the design are 'missing'. Like in the letters of "US POSTAGE" (they should be solid), and between the letter of "TEN CENTS", and around the "X"s, and on Washington's chest. In the printing process, the paper is wetted before it gets printed. The wetness allows the ink to adhere better. It is neither a fault, nor an 'error' in the strict sense of the word. More like an oddity - it doesn't hurt value, and might even help value to the degree that this one is dry printed.

The 24-cent is all about the exact color. The color of the photo/scan is poor.

I don't think you got robbed at all. Pretty good catch.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 01/20/2022 8:13 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1939 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Classic Coins to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The colored marking on the #35 adds interest. Hopefully someone can identify it.
Valued Member
428 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
casey - "I was 3 months old back then..."
Thanks for making me feel old.....

moot - "The color of the photo/scan is poor...."
Agree. continue to have issues with the USB scope.

pat
Valued Member
United States
330 Posts
Posted 01/20/2022   8:58 pm  Show Profile Check pascoe's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add pascoe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If in 1967 I paid $13.15 for an item, then in 2021 that same item would cost $109.77 (adjusting a cumulative rate of inflation of 734.7%).

This is what I would consider (and recent sold eBay lots) when assessing the results of that auction. I think my mother would also be peeved if she had to cut me a $100 check without her permission!

Thanks for sharing!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   02:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About 45 or 50 years ago (age 10 or 15), I had just learned about stamp auctions. I had been to all kinds of stamps shows and bourses, and knew about auctions, but have never participated. I went to a show and there was an auction catalog for an upcoming auction at the dealer's table. It was Purser and Assoc's, dba Ye Olde Stamp Shoppe, IIRC, in Danbury CT. Right people, don't know if I screwed up the name. I took the catalog home and dreamed. I asked my mother if I could place a few bids. Do I know what I am doing? Will I get in too deep? Can I make sure I don't buy too much? Yes. No. Yes. So, she told me to go ahead and place a few bids. I bid on maybe 50 lots (You see?? RIGHT THERE!! THAT should be a clue that I was in over my head.) and carefully came up with the bids and the 'OR' bids, etc. All nice and neat and I mailed in my bid sheet. A couple weeks later I got an invoice. Over $600!!!!! I nearly soiled myself. My mother nearly soiled me, too. "Mootermutt, choo gat sum 'splainin' to do!!!" She ended up loaning me the money, and I got all that I had won, but I spent the next 2-ish years paying her back. Lotsa lawn mowing to get that worked off. A month or two later, I came back from the PO all excited and I just HAD to show my Mom all the treasures in the catalog of their NEXT sale. She just about slugged me. It was a while before I bid at another auction.

I wish I could remember their names. The 'head guy' was probably Purser. There was a woman named Wheeler, and then there was the 3rd guy who I should know, but I am simply drawing a blank - he became a well-known bidding agent - thin, blond hair, always smoking cigarello's at breaks. I remember seeing him at auctions for decades after that, but never the other two. Anybody remember these people? Anyway, they were good people and worked with me patiently.

ETA: I found a reference to Purser & Associates and found listed: Jeff Purser and Melissa Wheeler.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 01/21/2022 03:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2815 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   06:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mootermutt, the 3rd good guy: Michael Purser.

I started with a mail sale at about the same age range. I threw in a few bids at 10-20% of catalog for some small Canada groups and got most of them. After, I later found that usually most mail sales had some minimum, stated or unstated, but I did win things at my bid or even slightly less. I also got a note that read "Next time, bid higher." Okayyyyy.
Edited by hy-brasil - 01/21/2022 06:32 am
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/21/2022   08:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My early collection was solely from letters to the house or to my Dad's office. Looking back on that early collection it is almost worthless, but the joy it gave me and the enduring love of collecting it instilled in me remains. I still get most joy from what comes through the letter box.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 497Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05