Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent British-India Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Replies: 70 / Views: 1,736Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
United States
514 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampguy64

Nice cleanup job on that old Hong Kong 30 cent stamp with the CC watermark. It shows the watermark much better now. I sometimes clean the backs of stamps myself, removing layers of old hinges, to reveal the watermarks. I use as little water as possible, as some inks are fugitive, applied to the back mainly, with a spray bottle, and then I lightly scrape off the old hinges.

My take on this stamp is that it had glue applied to the back to fasten it to a burlap sack, or similar material. They used to slather the glue on the stamps, front and back, so they would stick to the mailing bags, which is why you have glue around the edges on your stamp. This is not the stamp's original gum you saw on the back.

Another clue: I also see some fibers, possibly from the burlap, still stuck to your stamp after you cleaned it. This would also explain why you think the stamp is "deformed somewhat, not square and true." It was mailed on a burlap sack, or similar bag of fabric.

Scanned below are blocks of China stamps from my collection that I acquired in a bulk lot of old covers that are glued to burlap, slathered in glue as previously mentioned. I will never try to remove these stamps, as they will remain "on piece" to show how stamps were mailed on fabric many years ago. I also have a canvas bag in my collection with 1960's Hong Kong stamps applied to it in a similar manner.

Linus

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Linus,

I have a lot of those types of stamps, of my late father's, in envelopes, somewhere. I've been wondering about them, off and on. They need sorting.

Yes, that does sound likely. I was wondering about those fibres. I thought I needed a new drying-book. If I'm not mistaken, one 30c could have packed off 15 letters, locally at least.

Note the darker corners of the backside of the stamp, before I restored it. Those thin pieces of bluish, greyish paper were a bit stubborn, and had been entombed by the glue. I don't think that they were hinge-remnants(?). Also, I knew all along that that was not the original gum, and I suspect that that's why the violet inking was preserved. In any event, thank goodness the glue was water-soluble.

Alan
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   3:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stragglers that I received about a week ago or so...

East India, 1873, half-anna in blue, die II(re-drawn); "Da Bomb"...

...and another...

...again, much confusion among the 1855, 1865, and 1873 issues. Caveat emptor...

Half-anna blue, die I(1855, 1865) & die II(1873)...

All of the other values and colours bore die I portraitures, and were never re-drawn...

East India, 1865, 1a in brown...

That one clearly shows the first, die I portraiture of Victoria.
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeeBee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for those great images showing the dies of the Indian Victoria issues, StampGuy. Way more detail than in my generalist catalogue.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, DeeBee.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   7:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one I got several years ago, and this presentation should mop up the East-Indian issues, for the time being anyway...

East India, 1865, 2a in brownish-orange...

Admittedly, I first thought it was the 2a orange of 1855, white paper, which is rarer, but the elephant's-head watermark on the reverse cannot tell a lie...

I did not need to restore that one. Fresh as daisy it was upon its arrival. Although, it might benefit, albeit only a little, by going "under the knife", so to speak.

Within the cancellation, the purple letters, "...S K N O...", elude me as to a place-name...

It may be a precursor to the perfin, that of a business, or company.

Incidentally, I don't collect perfins, as I don't like BB-holes in my stamps, unless it's mandatory, as within this example...

Great Britain, 1887, 2d in grey-green & carmine...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 01/24/2022 8:04 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/19/2022   01:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Alas, I feel that I can't properly post images of the Victorian, Edwardian and Georgian India "Empire" issues until I finish with these Victorian East India issues. I've gotten a few more in since my last post within this thread, and presently I'm expecting, hoping, for something truly wonderful to arrive, and from India itself, but hasn't yet.

This, albeit arguably, the first professionally executed design and printing of India...

If I had a nickel for every India Scott #20, and #31, being advertised and sold as a #11...<insert here>. But these two are the "real McCoy"...

The deeper blue specimen has this wild cancellation, and reminding of a Salvador Dali painting.

I had been searching for one of these, per my requirements, and I finally found one...

The first two were black, neutral, but then, at last, in 1864, a colour...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/19/2022 01:16 am
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/19/2022   02:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I got yet another 1866, 6a8p slate, my favourite issue of India, past and present. It's the best one I've gotten thus far...

I got this one from a seller in Taiwan. At last, the olive-bistre shade; all the others I have are of the pale brown shade.

1876, 6a olive-bistre...

I also ended up with another pale brown, but with a location, and a date. I had to have it, despite its not being well-centered...

I got two more copies of these. 1866, 4a green, die I...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/19/2022 02:04 am
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/19/2022   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The last East Indian issue was released in 1876, this one...

The official ending of the East India Company's direct control over India occurred just two years before, in 1874.

It would not be until 1882 when the new "Empire" issues were released, an interim of six years, and considerable. During said interim, India experienced severe droughts, and famines, that in Hyderabad, Mysore, Bombay, during 1876-78, and in Madras...

1882-88, 1a6p sepia...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/19/2022 8:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/19/2022   9:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To resume, and with the "Empire" issues, which were released all the way up to 1946.

These were issued during 1882-88, and were rather long-lived, used up to 1901, and beyond...

a blue-green, or that deeper, take your pick...

9p rose, and let me know if you ever find one. I had a devil of a time...

There were two shades of the 1882-88 1a, purple-brown, and plum, and perhaps as I have the two ordered. What may be the purple-brown was postmarked in 1889, at left, and what may be the plum, at right, in 1900...

Incidentally, I use SG's colours, never Scott's.

1a6p sepia...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/19/2022 10:42 pm
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/19/2022   11:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1882-88...

The 2a was offered in pale blue, and blue. I have four of these, but I wasn't trying to identify a pale blue at the time...

I don't see a pale blue among those. I do see faded blue areas however.

I had fun collecting the 3a values. It came in orange and brown-orange, with the former being the "cookie" of the two shades, and for good reason, as they're much more attractive. But are they rarer, scarcer as well? Only the illuminated denizens of the Trapezium within Orion know for certain. The brown-oranges, and both postmarked in Calcutta, ordinarily...

Ah, the orange "cookies"...

The one on the left was postmarked in Mahabaleshvar, Satara district, and then the summer capital of the Bombay presidency. The other was cancelled in Nowshera, Peshawar district, and an area that was later to become part of Pakistan.

If only the shades of the Jamaica 4d of 1883 were that easy to discern...
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/20/2022   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1882-88...

The 4a was issued in two shades, olive-green and slate-green. I think that I have both here...

As time wore on, from 1864 to 1882-88, the 4a value became less and less attractive...

What happened? Isn't that the way, with all things?

The 4a6p yellow-green, and perhaps other shades of same, although unlisted, is in a class by itself, and a rather attractive design. This one was postmarked in Bombay on January 6, 1888, or 1889. I see both years there...

It's quite difficult to find attractive copies of the 4a6p. The vast majority I saw were heavily-cancelled, or faulty. One day, I came across this one, a rescue...

At the time, all I could see was the front of the stamp, also that yellow-ochre crud along the right side near the top. Ah, but it held promise, a hope...

...Palanpur.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/20/2022   11:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1882-83, still...

There were no 5a, 6a, 6a8p, or 7a values of 1882-88. From the 4a6p the value jumped up to...

8a, two shades...

It was very difficult to find an 1882-88 12a purple, red paper, that was postmarked on or prior to Victoria's passing, on January 22, 1901. I haven't seen a single one cancelled in the 1880s for that matter, for sale anyway...

No! That one is all wrong, just as bad as any mint colonial copy, for it was postmarked on September 2, 1902, and much to my chagrin, as it was postmarked at the high court in Madras, desirable in and of itself, despite the other aspect.

Much better; kind of, sort of, maybe(?)...

1r slate, and the second issuance of a 1r value...

Incidentally, with the advent of the 1882-88 issues, a new watermark debuted, exhibited by same, and for the first time -- the "Large Star"...

That watermark would be used until 1926, and for all postal values.

That concludes the "Empire" issues of 1882-88.
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Several of the issues of 1882-88 served well into the very early 1900s. But other values were required up until 1902, until the Edwardian issues were released. In 1891, the 1882-88 4a6p yellow-green was surcharged with the equivalent of 2a6p, overprinted in black "21/2 As"(I usually don't collect overprints, hence no image of same). Then, the following year, a dedicated 2a6p was issued...

1892, 2a6p yellow-green, postmarked in Calcutta on August 14, 1894...

1892, 2a6p pale blue-green, postmarked in Calcutta in October of 1895...

I don't know if that blue-green is particularly pale, or is it a "changeling"?

Only one other issue was released in 1892. Did the previous 1r slate of 1882-88 run out? Who knows...

1892, 1r green & aniline carmine(or rose, the other shade?), and postmarked in Bhagalpur on August 28, 1897...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/22/2022 12:44 am
Valued Member
United States
125 Posts
Posted 06/22/2022   01:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At last, the higher rupee values; the purchasers and users of these found themselves spending some real money to mail their stuff...

1895, 2r carmine & yellow-brown, and postmarked in Calcutta in August of 1898 or '99...

The 2r also came in carmine & brown, but I think that the yellow-brown is more attractive. It looks like gold. These higher values were larger than the usual fare...

You spent extra, and got an extra large, prettier(albeit debatable) stamp.

1895, 3r brown & green, and postmarked on August 26 or 28, 1900...

I can't make heads nor tails as to a place-name for that one. There were no other shades for that issue, nor for this one, the highest value of Victorian India...

1895, 5r ultramarine & violet, and postmarked on September 1, ????, somewhere...

All of the high values altogether...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/22/2022 4:18 pm
Page: of 5 Replies: 70 / Views: 1,736Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05