Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent British-India Acquisitions

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 2,062Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   05:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The high-values of Georgian India...

1911, 1r, two shades, as shown...

1911, 2r...

1911, 5r...

EDIT: "If anybody might tell me where, or what, "TUTIOO..." is, I'd be eternally grateful." Thanks Rod! That stamp was not postally-used, which accounts for its nigh-mint appearance.

As an aside...

1912, 5r ultramarine & violet, overprinted "Gwalior" in English and Hindi, and postmarked in same...

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/27/2022 11:47 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6550 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   2:15 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whilst I'm, at best, a desultory collector of India, I'm really enjoying your enthusiasm!
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Geoff. There is a basis in fact responsible for such.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35815 Posts
Posted 06/27/2022   6:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If anybody might tell me where, or what, "TUTIOO..." is, I'd be eternally grateful.

Guess
TUTICORIN SOUTHWEST (AIRPORT)
Lat 8.72 long 78.03

Interesting Pmk, not seen that type with 3 arcs before
how do we know a Telegraph station?

Internet

Thoothukudi (formerly Tuticorin) is a port city, a municipal corporation and an industrial city in Thoothukudi district in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoothukudi
Edited by rod222 - 06/27/2022 6:58 pm
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   12:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks again Rod. The "C" appears as an "O" within that postmark that you have illustrated, as well.

The stamp doesn't appear to have gone through the post. It was cancelled at some type of installation, and never left there, until much later(?). As to whether it was a telegraph station is a "best guess" on my part, and based on this telegraphic cancellation on one of my other stamps, albeit not of India...
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ah, here we are Rod. Scroll down to the 14th post...

EDIT: incorrect link
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/28/2022 06:18 am
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   01:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Before I continue, and as I can no longer edit the post, I wanted to correct an error: the Victorian India 3r specimen was not postmarked in August, but July. I was one month off there. That's all.

And now for the really high values of Georgian India...

1911, 10r green & scarlet, and postmarked in Madras on June 15, 1920...

That stamp had been very deeply inked at De La Rue, the scarlet, that it bled throughout the stamp, all in the past, before I received it. I got a lot of it out, most importantly to where it is no longer as noticeable when viewed from the front...

The elephants, and their riders...

Note that the tusks of the elephants have been blunted, and for safety, when domesticated.

1911, 15r blue & olive...

Verily, I may just hear the elephants trumpeting...
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35815 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   04:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
SG64

Quote:
Ah, here we are Rod. Scroll down to the 14th post...

Sorry, could not find a reference, I tried text strings Telegraph and Tuticorin
nothing.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   05:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This, the highest value of Georgian India...

1911, 25r orange & blue, and postmarked in Madras on September 1, 1920...

Incidentally, and also of another value, the 10r(red and green), orange is blue's complementary and secondary colour. If one is mindful of colours, as an artist or other, one can't help but be drawn towards the two combinations.

Most, if not all, of the 1911-26 Georgian empire issues were re-printed in 1926-31; for examples...

The issues of the first and second printings also exhibit differing watermarks...

I did not bother with the re-prints, not too terribly much, as I prefer only the first printings, as shown. However, I did collect others, of 1926 and beyond, but mostly of new designs, and colours...
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Perhaps the exact page was lost when posting the link to the page. I couldn't link to the post itself, either. Here's an example from Victorian India...

...and another, from Edwardian India...

Then, there's this...
http://www.onefivenine.com/india/vi...hanmugapuram

In the end, "G.T.O." can't be seen on my own example. It's on the long-lost letter or parcel, or other.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/28/2022 06:44 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35815 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! Thank you very much SG64
Saved.
Valued Member
United States
313 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   07:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rather, and again, thank you for your help, Rod. Then, nothing can beat a postal cancellation. Aside from its pleasing mint-like appearance, that Georgian 5r is second-rate, if that, as are fiscally-used examples, like this one that I had purchased not too long ago, and without knowing any better...

Beware of purple cancellations.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35815 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few numbers for you SG64 regarding TUTICORIN
Estimated numbers.

Towns in India Beginning with T ..19,000
Beginning with TU.........1,700
Beginning with TUT.......51
Beginning with TUTI......16

Heads up !
Keep looking for the greatest (perhaps) Indian rarity
15th December 1937
KGVl
1 Rupee, Grey and red brown SG259

Portrait error of colour GREEN AND RED BROWN
(Green was the colour for the portrait used for the 5 rupee

Only ever seen 1 copy

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35815 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   4:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Polite suggestion.

Quote:
Beware of purple cancellations.

Suggestions with out resolve, leave readers either having to ask why,
or dismiss and leave the thread and are no wiser.

So, why?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6550 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   5:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As in the reference to fiscal cancellations, mon ami.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 2,062Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.29 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05