Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Recent British-India Acquisitions

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 2,052Next Topic
Page: of 5
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
35784 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   6:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Geoff, I thought that may be the case.
I have no problems there myself, adopting the attitude, for high values,
that revenue use is a proper part of the philatelic catalogue.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/28/2022   7:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You've seen only only one. Why didn't you purchase it? ;)

I'm not about to try to look for one, as I would have competition, needless to say, especially now that you have revealed its existence; from only one sheet I imagine.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   06:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
All of the Georgian high-values altogether, in perspective...

The following were among the very last issues to exhibit the old, single "Large Star" watermark, and are part of the first printings...

Previously, I had mentioned that blue-slate was one of the shades of the 1911-22 3p value, and regarding the second 3p specimen illustrated, of which I was uncertain. I now think that the second one is either the grey or slate-grey of 1911. I had forgotten that I have a 3p in blue-slate, but I don't know how, as it's rather attractive. In the end, however, I remembered...

1922, 3p blue-slate...

I wouldn't want the stamp that was attached to that one, just above, within the sheet. I like that little flourish of paper at top-left. It has blue-slate ink on it even, as it was once a part of the dud. I wonder who has the dud, or was it destroyed, never to be seen again...

1922, 1a chocolate, postmarked at the Madras general post office on November 28, 1924, and at 18:30 hours...

1922-26(?), 2a6p orange...

1922-26(?), 3a ultramarine; I have two of them...

Thus ends the Georgian India issues that exhibit the single "Large Star" watermark of 1882-1926(?), and printed by De La Rue in England.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/29/2022 06:15 am
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/29/2022   9:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Georgian issues from here on out sport the smaller, multiple stars watermark, which, incidentally, continued in use until 1957, 10 years after India's independence...

Again, I skipped over the re-prints of 1926-31, as I didn't want them, not ever.

Who doesn't like, or even love, airplanes, aside from those aerophobic. The following depict the de Havilland DH.66 "Hercules", and as a mail-plane. These were the very first airmail issues of India, and all six released in 1929...

2a deep blue-green...

I may just hear that airplane sputtering as it makes its approach...

3a blue, a beautiful shade of blue, and what I call "true blue"...

It's not hard to imagine ole George himself there in the cockpit.

4a olive-green...

Postmarked in New Delhi in December of 1931...

"I've heard tell" that this next example, paler, may be a grey-olive, of 1930, and from Scott, however my SG BC catalogue, albeit rather dated, omits it...

Postmarked in Bombay on June 5, 1933...
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/29/2022 9:44 pm
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1929, the first airmail issues of India, continued...

6a bistre...

Postmarked in "...epore" on December 13, 1932...

There's a place-name to decipher, "...epore". I've tried, and failed.

Postmarked in Rangoon/Mandalay(?), Burma on May 26, 1934...

8a purple, and postmarked in December of 1930...

The last and highest value of the set: 12a rose-red, and postmarked in Madras on March or May 13, 19??...

That one has a scuff, much to my disappointment, chagrin actually, betwixt the "A" of "INDIA" and the "P" of "POSTAGE".

All six values altogether...
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   03:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This post deals mostly with odds and ends that I did not post previously...

British-issued stamps for Burma were not released until 1937, those of George V, India, overprinted "BURMA", and despite the fact that George V had passed away the year before I might add. This is a 1911 6a yellow-bistre, a shade of the three, postmarked in Mandalay, Burma on January 31, 1914, and perhaps among the earliest usages of a British colonial stamp in Burma...

King Thibaw and Queen Supayalat, on the Lion Throne at Mandalay Palace...

Thibaw had become king as a result of a royal massacre, and was deposed in 1885, therefore that photograph was taken prior to his deposition, in the very early 1880s, or during 1878-79.

1911, 3a orange, and postmarked in Bombay on May 2, 1916; among the early usages, not a 1911 issue cancelled in the 1920s...

Previously, I had listed this pair, and with colour of the 1921 value as grey-brown. Actually, both stamps were printed in chocolate, per the book...

Then, presumably, there is a printing of the older design(1919), in grey-brown, but released in 1911. I haven't seen one. I had a tough enough time finding those two. All three exhibit the old single "Large Star" watermark, so there's no way of identifying except by their shade of colour, and the written value.

A Gwalior official issued in 1927, overprinted in Hindi only...

You can tell it was used officially, and by its mint-like appearance.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/30/2022 04:42 am
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   04:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay, okay, okay, so I do have a few of the second printings, of 1926-31, but only the ones that caught my eye, or as a result of mis-identification, either on my part, or that of sellers. These two were had by a combination of both. I thought that either one might end up being the 1922-26 issue, and of the first printing. I can't recall if either of the two sellers had actually misidentified them, but no matter, as I now have them sorted; well, almost...

Curiously, Scott lists those two as being of 1929, rather than of 1926.

A comparison between the two of 1926, of the second printing, and the one of 1922-26, again, of the first printing...

Scott lists the 1st printing, at top, as being of 1926, and printed in just "rose", no carmine.

Who's incorrect, SG, or Scott??? To be fair, my SG BC catalogue is now forty years of age, this year.
Edited by StampGuy64 - 06/30/2022 04:43 am
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At last, I'm out and away from the second printings of 1926-31, the "second fiddles" as I call them. But after 1931, among the definitives, anything and everything is game. But first...

I have this one only, and the second to the highest value of a commemorative set, the "Inauguration of New Delhi", of 1931, and the first said set during George V's reign...

1931, 31/2a chocolate and carmine, and postmarked on St. Valentine's Day, 1931...

But I have very little love for, interest in, that set. Besides an old fort built by a long-dead Mughal emperor, the rest of the scenes feature cold, drab and dreary governmental buildings and structures. The entire set won't set you back too terribly much, but that's beside the point. The only reason I have that one was due to its low, low price at the time, so I chucked it into my virtual cart, along with the ones that I really did want, and from a single seller.

However, another commemorative set was issued, in 1935. That one depicts scenes of the Taj Mahal, three temples, and a pagoda; scenes of general, native interest. Although, I don't care for the values printed in black, a second pass on the press, and irrespective of the colour of the frames("Hey, it's 1935, and times are hard!"), but the scenes make up for that.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that set, yet.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1932 ushered in somewhat new designs and colours for the Georgian India definitives, and what seems to be a new portrait of George V. These relatively new stamps are ordered according to value rather than by year...

1934, 1/2a green...

1932, 9p deep green...

The 1/2a and the 9p appear to be the same deep shade of green, yet my catalogue differs, and as I have the 1/2a listed.

1934, 1a chocolate...

1932 11/2a mauve...

Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   03:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A new colour, and never before seen among the Georgian definitives of India, nor those Edwardian or Victorian illustrated within this thread: vermilion, that somewhat deep, and one seemingly pale as well. But first, the old colours...

This was the very first printing of said new colour, and with the old portrait of 1911. It is rarer, scarcer than the others of its type to follow...

1932, 2a vermilion, and postmarked on May 29, 1933...

Incidentally, a "Postage & Revenue" stamp could be used for postage, or to pay governmental fees and taxes, one or the other, and most convenient.

1934, 2a vermilion, large die, and a pair...

That could be a "4", surely not a "1", or can it per the spacing? It could be an indistinct "5" for that matter. I give up.

The 2a vermilion of 1932 is also a "large die", but since it's the "holotype" there's no need to refer to it as being so; of course it's a "large die", in other words.

There is a great deal of confusion among buyers, and sellers, as to how to tell the difference between the 1932 2a, and the 1934 2a...

Admittedly, I fell for it myself. How else did I get the other, there at right, of 1934, although the seller had listed it as that of 1932...

1936, 2a vermilion, pair, small die; the two stamps may appear to be separated, but are attached, unbroken...

Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
1932 3a carmine, and postmarked in October of 1933...

The 3a value throughout the years...

1932, 3a6p ultramarine...

Always at your...

...and the stuff of stamp-approval packets, and random chance.

George V passed away quietly, and controversially, on January 20, 1936.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 07/01/2022   9:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There was a second round of Georgian issues of India, and bearing the portrait of George V's son, George VI...

But, alas, the sceptre-exotica was old, worn, and paled before what was to come. Consequently, there weren't very many issues released during George VI's reign as emperor of India. Among those, these are the ones I prefer, and depict scenes -- landscapes, a seascape, and a skyscape...

2a vermilion...

2a6p bright violet...

3a yellow-green...

3a6p bright blue...

4a brown...

6a turquoise-green...

That's the dud that came with this set. I will want another to replace it.

8a slate-violet

This, the highest value of the scenes...

12a lake...

There are more colonial issues, other than those of India, that bear the portrait of George VI, than at which one might shake a sceptre. For example, this one, and one of my favourites...

1950, 12c olive-green, and aside George's portrait, that magnificent yet ill-fated avian of lore...

With that, this thread is concluded. Thank you for looking.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
243 Posts
Posted 07/02/2022   4:08 pm  Show Profile Check Chipshot's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Chipshot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I guess Singepore? Kind of a reach.
Valued Member
United States
310 Posts
Posted 07/03/2022   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StampGuy64 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I thought "Singapore" myself, but with an "a". Could it be "Singepore" with an "e"? It wouldn't be impossible. There are used Victorian Hong Kong stamps reading "Shaghae" instead of "Shanghai" within the postmark. In any event, a good answer on your part.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 74 / Views: 2,052Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05