Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Cost Of Stamp Hinges , Time To Look Again.

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,276Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2902 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   09:24 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It will take someone with money who is concerned for the hobby and can take a loss to try and they may fail like others have. My giess is there is something between the adhesive and the hinge that makes it peelable.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   10:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
FYI, Brookman catalog I got just a few days ago lists original dennison hinges at $10 a pack. Anyone enterprising enough may be able to make a tidy profit turning those over...
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
384 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   10:18 am  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
FYI, Brookman catalog I got just a few days ago lists original dennison hinges at $10 a pack. Anyone enterprising enough may be able to make a tidy profit turning those over...

I saw that, too. Unfortunately, they are not available to purchase, either at their online store or eBay store. I did not, however, try an order by snail mail, as I am pretty sure what the response would be... I did not bother to call them.

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8154 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   1:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was wondering if anyone that read my post above would notice that all of the tested hinges except for a Swedish brand I have never heard of are acidic (low PH). We are always discussing the dangers of acidity when it comes to album pages and other paper products (glassine is paper) and yet we attach these hinges to our stamps without a second thought.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2902 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   6:51 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not recall ever seeing hinge shaed tone marks on the backs of stamps (except in cases where some fool used tape).
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5851 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have albums here next to me where I hinged stamps into them in 1966 ,while in high school and there is no staining or marks on the album page or on the stamps , so over 50 years later no problem .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8154 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither have I ever seen any issues from hinges and yet they test as acidic.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
931 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   7:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen problems with those early, thick paper hinges. They are well over 100 years old - maybe 19th Century. The paper is thick, like stamp paper - it might even be sheet selvage being used as hinges. It is like they are welded to the stamp - these things inspired 'peelable'. I have found that they can easily tone, affecting the stamp.

I agree with the others, though, that generally hinges don't discolor greatly. I DO see the older 'glassine' ones change color with age, very similar to how glassine 'dries' (gets brittle) and gets a brown tint over decades.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8154 Posts
Posted 01/22/2022   8:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I purchased a collection at auction that was all MH and a large percentage of the stamps had a large brown oil-like spot exactly where they were hinged. All that I could think of was that perhaps the mounter was a smoker or was drinking something while hinging? The hinges popped right off but there was no repairing the damage. Ruined some great BC sets.
Pillar Of The Community
1069 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In over 60 years of collecting stamps, I've seen all sorts of stains on stamps and on album pages. Some were caused by the glue from adhesive tape. A lot of us may have used Scotch Tape for hinges when we were beginning collectors. What a disaster that turned out to be. Some stains are caused by the paper used in the stamp album itself which turns brown over time. Some by the ink of stamps on facing pages (one reason to use interleaving). Some stains are from dirty fingers or perhaps food or drink. Coffee stains are not uncommon on album pages and I'd guess they may sometimes get onto stamps, as well. But I've never seen a stamp hinge stain a stamp.

I have seen a lot of hinge damage but not because the adhesive stained the stamp, but because the adhesive is so aggressive it doesn't allow the hinge to be removed easily or at all. But I can't recall any brand of hinges staining stamps either from acidic paper or from the adhesive. Logically, you'd think some hinges would be made out of such cheap material that they'd stain stamps, but I've never seen that.

This is different from hinge marks or hinge remnants left on the back of stamps. Those are caused in the first case by the moisture used to attach the hinge to the stamp, and in the second by overly aggressive glue on the hinge. But that's a different kind of damage and is not related to acidic hinge paper or adhesive. Hinges can certainly damage stamps, but not by staining them. Maybe the lack of acidic damage is because so little of the hinge actually touches the stamp and that little is buffered by the small amount of moisture we add to the hinge . . . ? But I'm not sure.

So, generally, among all the worries we have about protecting our stamps, I'd put acidic hinges pretty low on my list of worries. Well below overly-aggressive adhesive which makes a lot of hinges a bad choice.
Edited by DrewM - 01/23/2022 03:29 am
Valued Member
United States
412 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the answer to your hinge problems, NOT:

"Do-It-Yourself Peelable Hinges" by Richard E. Goodman, American Philatelist August 2011

Yes, it is a real article. I wonder what his hinged stamps look like today.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
686 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   2:12 pm  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
was the manufacturer of Dennison hinges ever located in watertown NY? where they a rubber stamp company?
Michael Darabaris
Valued Member
Ireland
290 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   5:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add FitzjamesHorse to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find the quality of hinges to be a bigger problem than price. About half the hinges in a packet are useless.
With a lot of stamps now self adhesive,I don't try and take them off paper.
I have started using double sided tape instead of hinges.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
686 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   09:52 am  Show Profile Check 3193zd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 3193zd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
was this company a part of the Dennison hinges company?

Michael Darabaris
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Last year after my old Dennison hinges finally ran out I bought a pack of Supersafe for about $4. Hated them, weren't folded right so couldn't tell which side to moisten, many were wrinkled, half of them ended up in the garbage. Thankfully I recently ran out of them and bought a pack Prinz, same price. Have only used a few but can tell already 100% better than the Supersafe.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 48 / Views: 2,276Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05