Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Two Stamps Labeled 534B.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 843Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
121 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   08:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Bubbachismo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
So in one of the collections I bought these stamps were set aside very carefully with a label that said 534b. I've done my research as a beginner and haven't found any obvious reasons why they might not be. Foil test, type test. A little help would be greatly appreciated. I certainly would send them out but I know the experts here are just as good as those experts. Many thanks in advance

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10450 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:01 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What someone else has previously identified the stamps as is virtually meaningless, try to avoid being influenced by old IDs. Keep in mind the W/F stamps we deal with today have been looked at over and over and over by many generations of collectors. Not only was a 534b rare back in the 1920s but stumbling across an unidentified today is even less likely. So your expectation should be 'I have a greater chance of seeing Bigfoot and a UFO on the same day than having two 534b'.

Imperfs are easily made by trimming other stamps; go to this page and look up how a fake 534b might be manufactured https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/WFFakes.html

Other helpful links
https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/wa...pesMain.html

https://stampsmarter.org/1847usa/wa...pleType.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8175 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You need to provide much better scans for a definitive answer as to exact type. I can tell you however that these are NOT Type VII based upon the toga line thickness.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yup did that
Edited by Bubbachismo - 01/23/2022 09:29 am
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Rog I'll get some better pics up
Learn More...
United States
10450 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:15 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have dedicated more time and effort to helping others than most others in the hobby; so your opinion is wayyyy off base.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1696 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bubba,
Don is one person here that type of reply isn't necessary,
You'll learn he does a lot here and what he says runs deeper then the words
Edited by Just_fella - 01/23/2022 09:16 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7891 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
With margins as small as these, it really does not matter. They have been trimmed from perforated stamps. They are probably not 534B in any case.
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My reply was just the way I felt with the way you answered. I know you're very highly skilled and a huge help to the community. I am sure you also meant no harm. I just wanted to express how such feedback can make one feel. Especially to new collectors. I will take down the reply but just wanted to express my thoughts
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1696 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I understand, there are a couple people here that
Some serious thought should come before an answer
I feel don is one of them
Learn More...
United States
10450 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:38 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want to opine on the job that I do as a volunteer Moderator here, then feel free to contact me or the forum owner privately, there is no need to do that kind of thing in a public post.

Avoiding conformation bias is a significant issue in correctly identifying stamps. My post was written to help and in no way was it meant to belittle, even after re-reading it I do not see anything that should have offended. I put a smiley after the Bigfoot sentence to show that it was a lighthearted comment. The links all were all there to help.
Don
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This may be true. He may be legend of all legends. Maybe every stamp has been searched and checked as he stated. So what's in it for the new collector? Just give up the pleasure of the hunt? If I think looking for Bigfoot is ridiculous than why bother looking for stamps? I understand his importance to the community. Do people understand mine? Sorry son I've already looked at all the stamps, don't bother.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1696 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I feel what your saying, don't give up,
The world is full of infinite possibilities
Just don't stress value here
We are kings (and queens)
there is no quest for riches, some things are more important
Find a cheap stamp learn everything you can and add history there's value
Learn More...
United States
10450 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:50 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tresure hunting is a small part of the hobby. Would you take up collecting oil painting in the hopes that one day you might find an undiscovered Rembrandt at a garage sale? Or would you take up collecting oil paintings because of the intrinsic joy that you get when you look at one you like? Or perhaps if you enjoyed the history and educational opportunities that oil paintings represent?

In my experience, having an expectation of finding a rarity is not something leads to a long-term collecting and can often lead to disappointment. The hobby attributes that can be guaranteed (i.e. learning, history, cultural exposure, etc.) are those which I tend to promote.
Don
Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bubbachismo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I appreciate it fella, and Dan I mean no disrespect. Please accept my apology for the rawness of my first response. I was trying to make a point and could have done that with less harshness. I agree that it's highly unlikely to find anything "special" but I sure love trying.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 24 / Views: 843Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05