Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

A Schermack Franklin Head With A 468 Pin Pattern

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 489Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rephil to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
[size=3][size=2][size=1][black][size=3][size=2]Apparently I'm a little late for the party as Schermacks with control marks have been discussed herein for a number of years. Nevertheless let me introduce mister Franklin with a 468 pin pattern. I found it a collection I purchased about 40 years ago and put it in my box labeled "Stuff to be researched when I'm old, retired and have the time."
Well I'm now old and retired and I don't find this pattern discussed any place else so I'd appreciate information on who the user was and the relative scarcity of the 468 pattern.

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10540 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   11:08 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a control perfin, see here for more information https://stampsmarter.org/features/ConPerfHome.html
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7953 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   11:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rephil. Several years ago the United States Stamp Society ( www.usstamps.org ) had a great article on these. You might try their website and look for this article

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2479 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   11:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chasa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
According to the latest US Perfin catalog (2018, Endicott) this was used by Graphic Arts Company of Chicago. Rated B, it is moderately scarce but certainly one of the easier patterns. It is noteworthy for being one of the perfins found on the 1902 series stamps.
Learn More...
United States
10540 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   11:46 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Curt McCoy, a member here and the one who administers the Stamp Smarter Control Perfin Census, is considered a leading expert and makes the Stamp Smarter the most up-to-date and 'go to' reference.
Don
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeeBee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I have a few of those items lying in wait. I'll need to take a look to see if I have those perfins, as well.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   01:07 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The 2013 Census reported 65 known copies across 6 different Scott #s. First thing you want to do is watermark the stamp to determine if it's a 343 or a 383. The 383 is scarcer.

We really don't know much about who used this pattern. There is nothing recorded on cover. It does have two potential users in Graphic Arts and he Meyer Both Co. both of Chicago. Where that information came from is unknown by me.

Completely ignored by stamp collectors until the late 30s, about 25 years after there last known usage. What we think we know about them was developed by stamp collectors, the work is still going on.
Edited by kcaramat - 01/24/2022 01:08 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   08:56 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DeeBee

I wanted to send you information but you have elected not to receive emails.

Curt McCoy
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeeBee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hey Curt

I am new here and haven't reached the 50 post benchmark to receive emails.

Dennis
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   8:06 pm  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When you get there give me a shout.
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rephil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to all who who replied.
It is, by the way, a 343, the more common variety.[:)
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 489Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05