Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cork Gas Consumers Company Overprint

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 359Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I am trying to find more information about this non postal overprint and the company who did it.

A google search for Cork Gas Consumers Company's history was a bust.

When was it established? Where was it located (address). Is it still operating?

Are there other companies that overprinted Irish stamps similar to this?

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Commercial Overprint
Not listed in the Commercial Overprints Soc.

Common type overprints used in England, not seen many from Ireland.

Actually, I see it is an Receipt type overprint
That would differ from the usual Commercial overprint.
If the 2p is "Postage and revenue"?
Then is would have been adhered to a paper, I would suggest.

I think "Cork Gas" is still alive
albeit, unsure if it would be the same company

https://francesbird.blog/2020/08/27...d-1908-1991/

https://www.thejournal.ie/readme/co...549-Oct2014/
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 01/23/2022 8:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   10:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the reply. For some reason Goggle does not search foreigh websites very well. Here I could type in Cork Gas Consumers Company and maybe only get a couple of hits. In Europe if asking Google the same question you would get multiple hits.
I'm hoping someone in Europe has more information.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/23/2022   10:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edited by rod222 - 01/23/2022 10:49 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   11:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the help.
From your suggestions and a lot more Goggling I found this:

In 1825 the Cork Wide Street Commissioners, a municipal planning agency of sorts, entered into an arrangement with the United Gas Company of London to provide Cork City with gas lighting between the hours of sunset and sunrise, with each gas lamp to provide light equivalent to that of twelve mould tallow candles. The United Gas Company's network served the city between 1826 and 1859.

By the mid-1850s local interest groups began to mount a strong and ultimately successful challenge to the monopoly exercised by the United General Gas Co. of London. John Francis Maguire (1815-72), proprietor of the Cork Examiner and a staunch advocate of economic nationalism curbed the influence and monopoly and incorporated a rival gas company the Cork Gas Consumers' Company, acquired a three acre site for its own proposed gasworks adjacent to the London one. Work began in January 1857 with 36 miles of service pipes laid and 43 miles of mains. In 1984 the gas industry was in tremendous difficulty. The Cork Consumer Gas Company was essentially bankrupt and the Limerick, Waterford, Wexford and Dublin gas companies eventually wound up in receivership. The site today is now occupied by the National Offices of Bord Gais Energy.

The stamp was apperently used as a revenue stamp on a document sometime around 1922 to maybe 1940.
Edited by Timm - 01/24/2022 11:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
France
2217 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   12:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another example of irish "commercial overprint"
Queen's Old Castle is a shopping center

(not mine)

(photo circa 1935)
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I have seen a few overprints like this on old Irish receipts from utilities and tradespeople from the 1930's through to the 1950's. Just as Rod describes I have never seen one used for postage. The examples below are from Electricity Supply Companies and gas companies, in the UK and were used for also endorsing receipts, as one states quite clearly, but I have also seen these used for postage.
Valued Member
Canada
54 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DeeBee to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently won at auction a small lot of British utility overprints. I had never seen them before. Glad I saw this post this afternoon.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/24/2022   6:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great contributions from everyone !

Advance in knowledge on these (Thanks Vayolene)
I had searched 7 copies of the "The Revealer" Bulletins
Yet to find any mention of these.

The Commercial overprints soc, give a blank when searched on "Ireland"

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   7:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is a FREE commerical overprint catalogue PDF at
http://www.filateliaspecializzata.i...tter%20S.pdf

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   7:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Seeing the Queen's old castle overprint make me wonder how many more of these overprints there are.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35190 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice *.pdf Thanks for sharing.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 359Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05