Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Scott 65 On Cover I Think.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 435Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   5:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JoJo3391 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Neat cover. Scott 65 I think. No grille. Cool seal on back. Grandfather must have bought this collection of letters and postcards sent to her. Pretty big in the women's suffrage movement in Baltimore. Friends sent her postcards from all over Europe. Wish I could read the cancel date and the office. Ed

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7891 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
APR 19. No year.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
United States
10456 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   6:19 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could be Port Royal S.C.; it is the only two letter town with first word ending in 'RT' and second word starting with 'R' I can find in SC. (I could not find any SC town with first word ending in 'BT').
Don
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoJo3391 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
She would only have been 3 or 4 years old. Maybe her father was in the civil war. Called her "Lillie" instead of Lillien.
According to Swedishtiger, earliest known example is August of 1861 so probably later than that. Thanks for the research! Ed
She grows up and becomes a doctor. A rare thing back in those times. Nice cover! Thanks again. Ed
Valued Member
United States
358 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Don is correct. According to my copy of The American Heritage History of the Civil War (1960)
Port Royal was taken by the Federal forces on 11/7/1861 as a station for resupply of blockade forces by Samuel F DuPont, Union Commander. Further, to the end of the war Port Royal remained in Union hands as that resupply station.
Scott 65 was replaced by "grilled" issues, so your cover would reasonably dated in those years between. Beautiful cover, rich in the history of our country.
Regards mark
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
Posted 01/25/2022   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
from wikipedia:
Welsh was born in Columbia, Pennsylvania on March 6, 1858 to Annie Eunice (née Young) of Wrightsville and Thomas Welsh of Columbia. She was the fourth child and daughter in her family.[1] Her father had served in the Mexican–American War before becoming a merchant and canalboat owner.[2] He later rejoined the United States Army after the Battle of Fort Sumter to serve in the American Civil War. He eventually rose to the rank of brigadier general in 1863 before dying later that year of an illness during the Siege of Vicksburg.[1][2]
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   12:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoJo3391 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the great info! I figured that fancy seal on the envelope was not from some foot soldier. Ed
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 435Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05