Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Was Told Those Stamps Were Rare And Valuable. Is It Still True?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,276Next Topic
Page: of 3
Valued Member

United States
60 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   10:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just for fun to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
from collection of my grate grand father:

The original post had a wrong image. please see photos in my replies.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Just for fun - 01/27/2022 07:53 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
About $1 each, give or take. Whoever told you otherwise was romanticizing things a bit (or a lot).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by classic_paper - 01/26/2022 10:43 am
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am so sorry! I saved a new photo with the old name then uploaded it. It ended up showing the old image instead. Here is the correct one:
Valued Member
20 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   10:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carl20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The catalog value and online sales show them a lot higher than $1 each.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   11:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The catalog value and online sales show them a lot higher than $1 each.

Catalog value means nothing.

The surcharges from the first (now removed) picture are valuable as blocks, but as singles not exceptionally rare (though the number of overprint varieties for some issues can measure well into the dozens, and some can be very tough to find).

This series, the Northwest Scientific Expedition from 1932, is worth a bit, $20-$100 per stamp depending on condition.
Edited by classic_paper - 01/26/2022 11:22 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7907 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   11:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The stamps that the OP is showing seem to be toned badly?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6381 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   11:25 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, they're badly toned and foxed, which will deter most potential buyers.
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   11:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have just removed the toned wrappings to show the true color of them:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5857 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that condition they are close to worthless . That is not TONE it is mold/fungus ,don't want them near better stamps in a collection . To me TONE would be a gray tint showing poor storage . Let me know if I got this wrong .
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   12:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks floortrader, but have you seen my new reply with the true stamp photo?
Valued Member
20 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Carl20 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well look here now. Are they still worth $1 each?
Valued Member
United States
162 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   12:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Gibby01 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Everyone's interpretation of the word 'valuable' is different depending on their stamp budget. For me I'm thrilled when I run into a $20-100 item, for others it's a rounding error on their last auction purchase. stampworld shows these listed for 28 bucks each in unused condition.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8167 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   1:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just for Fun - If you have a lot of stamps wrapped in that stuff you should remove it all ASAP. How is the gum?
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   1:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found it on Stampworld. Surprisingly, it was listed under China/Empire but was issued way after the Empire had gone.
Edited by Just for fun - 01/26/2022 1:50 pm
Valued Member
United States
60 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just for fun to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@rogdcam: The gum looks not too good.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
630 Posts
Posted 01/26/2022   2:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Well look here now. Are they still worth $1 each?

Carl, you came onto this thread literally a few minutes too late and you haven't caught up, so I'll repeat what I wrote before: the original stamps posted by the OP (two examples of the 1940 surcharge issue), not these stamps, were about a dollar each. You're either still mixing things up, or you're purposefully conflating the original picture of the surcharged stamps with the later pictures of the Expedition issue in order to pick a fight. Let me know which it is.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 31 / Views: 1,276Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05