Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can You Correctly Identify This Victorian Era Stamp?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 772Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/27/2022   05:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add NickIreland to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I thought it might be fun to share an image a day over the next week of some of my stamps from my Queen Victoria Empire collection. So lets start with an easy one.

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
670 Posts
Posted 01/27/2022   06:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DJCMHOH to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is a Bhopal issue I believe.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
APS #173088
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/27/2022   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes you are right. According to it's catalogue description from the 1900's it is from the 'India-native Feudatory State of Bhopal. It is the 1/2 anna green issued in 1894, there is a slightly later issue which is bright green; one of those occassions when colour difference is very marked. It is infact a lovely stamp which the photo does not do justice to.
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   05:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One of my favourites. Can you identify it? It looks more white in reality.
Pillar Of The Community
France
2217 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   05:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bundi ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5861 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   07:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tons of forgeries of these stamps ,there are a lot of crappy ones coming out of India now ,the best forgeries came out of Mexico .
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   08:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course you are right. 1/2 anna slate grey (type IV) 1897-9. Not to be confused with Type III which was issued late 1896 which is similar but slightly smaller and lighter print. I didn't know that there were lots of forgies floortrader so is this one real?
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are getting my area of interest. This one may be difficult.
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   04:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Okay no takers, then what about this one?
Pillar Of The Community
France
2217 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   04:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add vayolene to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Both are from Hyderabad (official)
Edited by vayolene - 01/29/2022 04:57 am
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   06:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes vayolene, right again it is the 1/2 anna brown (Type II) with the black surcharge and the 1 anna olive green (Type I) with the red surcharge, both offical stamps from Hyderabad.
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a nice collection but where from?
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   10:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Faridkot which was a Sikh State of just 612 square miles and a population of 100,000. The ruler was Raja Bikram Sinh. No. 1 is 1 folus (4 folus to the anna) on laid paper,No. 2 is also 1 folus but on woven paper; while No. 3 and No. 4 are the 1 paisa both on woven paper. These last two are both Type III, but I think they have enough difference in both printing and colour to be considered different varieties. However, I have never seen Type III 1 paisa which looks almost identical, also ultramarine (like No.3) but has a slightly different script at the base.

I think another Indian state but better known. Where is this from.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
735 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   6:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Isn't that one Dhar?
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   09:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
billsey you are right, the classic 1897 Dhar 1/2 anna black on magenta.
Valued Member
Ireland
80 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NickIreland to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
An easy one to finish off this selection
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 772Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05