Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Have You Ever Searched Years For A Stamp To Discover You Already Had It?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 482Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   5:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Timm to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

I've searched for decades for Scott #Q210a. Not a rare stamp. Not an expensive stamp. Just a stamp I never was able to find.

This morning I found two file folders stuck together and when I separated them... the picture is what I found.

I already had the stamp I searched decades for.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
4305 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did that last week with a postcard.
Bought one on eBay then found one in my files the next day. At least it was an upgrade.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7142 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, I have lost/misfiled items for years only to be pleasantly surprised by my 'new' material. I usually, but not always, remember the purchase.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8175 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many times.
Valued Member
United Kingdom
360 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   5:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Would you believe I found I had a 2nd penny black, I can only guess where I bought it. I do know when I bought my first one, but number 2????
Pillar Of The Community
United States
645 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   6:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This all sounds like a pleasant indictment of everyone's organizational skills.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1229 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Timm to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
But have you searched for decades for a certain stamp only to find you already had it?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
645 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nope. A place for every stamp, piece, and cover. No boxes or envelopes full of rando things. It's all in albums, stockbooks, or cards.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35185 Posts
Posted 01/28/2022   9:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
But have you searched for decades for a certain stamp

No, but I have purchased stamps, believed missing, only to find them later in storage.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1066 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   6:26 pm  Show Profile Check ray.mac's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ray.mac to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Had a U.S. #25 in the album for years, from before Scott changed the types and then several years ago now, I was just looking at everything and noticed a recut inner line-- yep, a 25A and didn't realize I had one. So, I hadn't been looking to buy a 25A, but found out I didn't need to!
Ray
Pillar Of The Community
United States
936 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   8:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nearly 50 years ago, I inherited a stamp collection from my grandfather. Albums, stockbooks, cartons, glassines, etc, etc. Some was highly organized, like the albums, but there was a lot of stuff that was unorganized and unidentified. His US used album didn't have spaces for many of the 1867 grills. Omitting the Z Grill, I get - most of those are rarities that most collectors will never get, but many of the others were omitted, too. It was a Harris album, I believe, but I can't remember for sure. Years later when I was going through the rest of the stuff, I found (yet another...) glassine with a bunch of grilled stamps in it. When I went to try to ID them, I realized that those were all of the grills that were not shown in the album! I got a pack of blank pages and designated a page for each of the different grills and had plenty of stamps on them. No Z grills, though. Anyway, it is clear that the one glassine was his way of saving the un-listed grills. There was nothing on the glassine to indicate they were special, and they were in a carton of random crapola - this one glassine was worth multiples of the remainder of the carton. I suspect Gramp simply figured he would get to it someday and died before that happened.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
704 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   07:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Simple answer to the OP's question::: All the time.
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 482Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05