Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

I Want To Get Better At Telling 36 From 36B

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 501Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1399 Posts
Posted 01/29/2022   12:59 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add rlsny to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Can anyone point me at an article or something to help with this. Sometimes it is obvious - recutting standing out. But too often I see a "might be 36B' and I'm just not sure. Are there other clues to confirm plate 3 other than broken frame lines? Thanks in advance.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   09:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The best reference material I am aware of is the Neinken book on the 12c stamps. From my experience Plate 3 stamps (where 36B came from) do not have the small gash mark in the lower right as do most stamps from rows 2-9 on Plate 1 (from which #36 came from). Some have a small dot in the LR corner though. Also, quite a few, but not all 36B's, are missing at least on frame line. You are familiar with the weak frame lines.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1399 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   11:19 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, good clues and thanks for reminding me about that book. I will take a look.

Here's a damaged stamp that is an example of the challenge. Only two margins visible. The top is ripped up so I can't really trust the weakness of the top line and the left line is indeterminate.

I would guess 36B but I wouldn't be very comfortable.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't tell. There's no re-entry either to help or any visible identifiers. The 36B color is sometimes darker but in the scan There's nothing to compare it to.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6382 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   2:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a 36B.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2484 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   3:59 pm  Show Profile Check sinclair2010's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add sinclair2010 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wouldn't hesitate to call it a #36. It doesn't look like a Plate 3 stamp and the spacing is usually wider than what this stamp shows.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with sinclair2010 - looks like a #36 to me. As with the 10/11 identification, the best way to differentiate 36 from 36B is to plate the stamp in question. I don't believe the plating documentation for 36/36B is as good as for 10/11, though.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
865 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Caper123 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think I have ever seen a reconstruction of Plate 3.

Stalker, your stamp haste extra line only on Plate 3. I think left pane.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1399 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   6:09 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sinclair, thanks for that. I thought I had seen something about spacing that was different between the two plates. So the spacing between the stamp I posted and the frame of the next stamp to the left looks narrower than typical for 36B. And when you say "it doesn't look like a plate 3 stamp" - are you talking about more than just the frame line? Caper said 36B is sometimes darker. I appreciate all these comments. It's obviously not a cut and dry topic. I'm sure plating is the ultimately correct way to view it and "sometimes darker" "sometimes wider" kind of tells a story. Then it comes down to experience and I'm working on that part.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8300 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   6:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As I understand it Plate 1 which was used for Scott 17 was also used for 36. The centering on Plate 1 was close to begin with without exacerbating things with perforated stamps. I was not under the impression that the spacing changed for Plate 3.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 501Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.44 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05