Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Mounts For Cinderella Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 495Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   3:24 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add docgfd to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I finally got enough 'must do' philatelic activities behind me that I'm ready to start the migration of my Cinderellas from their current stock books homes to their new ones, on album pages.

I'm using black quadrille pages and have decided upon clear mounts. Most of my other collections have their stamps mounted using split-back mounts, like those made by Scott and Prinz, but I have a hankering to use open top mounts in this album, like those made by Hawid.

My question is this: since many (most) Cinderella issues are way larger than the average postage stamp, do those who use Hawid Mounts find they provide enough support for their Cinderellas, or do they have a tendency to fall forward? Another way of asking, are Hawid mounts rigid enough for the big boys?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 01/30/2022   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Another way of asking, are Hawid mounts rigid enough for the big boys?

Depends.
I have used (from memory) the largest block, open top Hawid
(perhaps the Mongolian Large Stamp) and it sits well
But I use page protectors.

Standing alone without protectors, cannot call.

All my large German Poster Stamps are in split backs.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   3:44 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Rod. Not much feedback on this other than yours, so it seems I may have to play it safe and go with the split-backs.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 01/31/2022   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Split backs are fine doc,
apart from the problem that you need exact sizes.

I prefer the open top Hawid, (or cut split backs in half)
Page protectors prevent a lot of problems
even with the normal wide format common US postage stamps
when I place a page of Steiner on the scanner platen, some stamps do move in the open top.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 02/01/2022   04:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Australian A4 Page, employing Hawid Open Top (Clear)
Hawid Product came sealed top and bottom
Top was guillotined to suit Sheetlet size, making open top
In Protector sleeve.

1978 Personal Page 17B

Plant : Trillium (trillium, wakerobin, toadshade, tri flower, birthroot, birthwort, and sometimes "wood lily")
Birthroot due to its regard as an Uterine Stimulant

Edited by rod222 - 02/01/2022 04:23 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 02/01/2022   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hawid mounts work just fine if the stamps do not naturally want to curl. I do have a difficult time keeping my stamps in Hawid's from being askew from moving my album/ turning pages. If crooked stamps drives you crazy they may not be for you. The ease of moving stamps in and out of Hawid's easily and without fear of damage is great though. Another good Hawid trait is that I can trim the open end if I like to further customize the fit. I used only split backs for decades and now will only use Hawid's.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   11:27 am  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, guys. Rog...yeah, tipping stamps would probably make me crazy, so another reason for me to stay with the split backs.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.31 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05