Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stamp Auction Network Will No Longer Be Free For Bidding- Subscription Based Only

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 146 / Views: 7,114Next Topic
Page: of 10
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Quote:
In 1994, we created the first marketplace for stamp auctions. It has grown to be more than any one might have imagined. Together we have changed the face of stamp auctions with online catalogs, online bidding, live bidding during auctions, and now access to the largest database for stamps.

To continue delivering on our mission to provide the best experience and tools to the philatelic community, on April 1st, 2022, StampAuctionNetwork will move to a subscription service.

With your support as a subscriber, StampAuctionNetwork will:
Incorporate new technologies to enhance your experience.
Enable us to add staff to continue offering LIVE phone support and other services.
Keep the site Advertising Free.
Continue to create and enhance bidding tools and resources.
Develop programs to attract new collectors of every age.
Add a StampAuctionNetwork Community for peer to peer connections.
The basic membership will be $49.95 / year to bid, search, or use any of the interactive features of StampAuctionNetwork. Free access to all online catalogs at StampAuctionNetwork will still be available to all.

*** Edited by Staff to clarify topic title. Titles are important! ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
691 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   2:58 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Going to be a chaotic few months.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
394 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:04 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Not good news for the average collector, like me.

Subscription AND Juice to buy stamps?

No, thank you!

p.s. I'm sure there will be folks who are totally okay with it.

John
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1795 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Should be like 4.99$ and like 19.99$ for the premium
Small loss big gain, I'd think more people would be willing

Guess there expecting to loose half there existing base
As part of the roll out
Edited by Just_fella - 02/02/2022 3:10 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1228 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, but potentially risky move for SAN - yes, brings in recurring revenue, but runs the danger of prompting more auction houses to move to their own bidding platforms, lessening the value proposition of SAN. Which is convenience for someone like me, who bids at multiple auction houses - it's certainly not for their poor site design & glitches in bidding.

The options are somewhat confusingly presented but boil down to -
$19.95/year for very infrequent bidders, $49.95/year for basic membership - which includes their "extended" features" if bought before April 1st.

~Greg
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow a StampAuctionNetwork peer to peer forum? Count me in! I've yet to find a community of stamp collectors online who will help me grow as a collector!
Valued Member
226 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Peer to peer. Wow.

I was thinking that SAN was getting a % from the auction houses to advertise and facilitate their services.... Not enough I guess.

I wonder how much of the Siegel abandonment is driving this decision.

Disintermediation is good until it is bad... I guess.

Bob
Pillar Of The Community
United States
664 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:29 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So you will no longer be able to bid unless you have a subscription? What about the auction houses that don't have their own live bidding? I'm not fond of leaving bids ahead of time on lots I really, really want only to find out after the fact that I have lost a bid because there is no live bidding.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
614 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pay for the dumpster fire that is Win2012R2 IIS, running coldfusion? Someone over there has lost their minds, and clearly doesn't know how to:
1. manage money and customer relations. The customers are the houses...
2. manage a tech stack

With the amount of affiliations they have with auction firms, the fact that they are not just swimming in cash now is beyond belief. Charging people admission for the right to bid is clearly the wrong model and they will learn fast, when the auction houses see participation from SAN drop off the face the earth.

If anything they should be begging me to bid there, not charging me.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OLDBOLD ----What are you saying isn't the Community here good enough.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In principle, I agree with rismoney. I seriously wonder if my days on SAN are over. On average, I spend about $10k per year (that has slowed down greatly - I have spent less than $1k over the last year), and a bit over half of that is with Siegel's. This may be just the kick in the pants I need to concentrate on the cartons of stamps that I currently have and finally get around to doing the 'clean up' with them that I have always had on my to-do list.

I DO suspect that Siegel's move to their own platform is a big part of why this is happening. They sold over $40M last year - how much of that would have been on SAN? 50%? 75% 95%? I don't know what their terms were with SAN, but I am sure it was a major portion of their revenue. SAN may well be killing the Golden Goose.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 02/02/2022 3:50 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   3:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow. :( I just got approved to bid in my first Auctions. Sigh. It was already daunting to me to potentially make my first bid and now I have to pay to play. I guess I need to see what those fees will be.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7955 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   4:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mrita, I hope you are a member of the APS. If you read their monthly journal there are oodles of auctions that do not charge'

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   4:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am totally confused by SAN's actions. On January 20 they sent an e-mail that unattended live bidding was now available to any registered member, and not just to extended features subscribers. Now, two weeks later, everything is membership based? I also don't understand what if any features will be available for free. Today's email says you will still be able to view the catalogs for free. What about submitting book bids? Live bidding?
Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For posterity and for floortrader's sake of course I was kidding! You all are amazing and most importantly free hehehe
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
927 Posts
Posted 02/02/2022   4:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Mrita75 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Peter. That may be a better place for me to dip my toe in. Thanks. Nora.
Page: of 10 Previous TopicReplies: 146 / Views: 7,114Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05