Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Indentify Large Numeral Cancel On Cyprus Sg 62, SC 50, Minr 48?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 602Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
742 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EMaxim to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Anyone identify the location of this cancel?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Cyprus
136 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   2:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's a railway post office cancellation.
Not sure which station it is though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
742 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Moose. Can I assume that the numeral is six, not nine? And does anyone know where to find the station's location?
Valued Member
Cyprus
136 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   2:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is indeed a six and not a nine. Unfortunately I do not have my referance book with me at the moment. I am due in Cyprus next weekend. I'll look it up if I remember.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5932 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that is a fake cancel . This number cancel should be in a oval with a period after the "6" it should have two bands Hoz. lines below the number and two lines above . There are 5 numbers for the railroad cancels they are 1,2,4,5,and 6 the 3 has never been recorded .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5932 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   8:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is NOT a railroad cancel ,but it gives you a idea of what I am talking about ,the railroad cancel also has a circular date stamp to the left of this oval .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
742 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And thank you Floortrader as well. That's even more interesting. Any idea why someone would fake a railroad cancel?

Also, Moose, if you are at some point able to tell me what city station would use the number six cancel, I'd be grateful.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3146 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This looks ok to me.

It appears to match a type shown in the old Robson Lowe encyclopedia known with numbers 4 to 7.

It's basically "R.P.O. / large single-digit-number / CYPRUS" within a single circle.

The type mentioned by floortrader is only one of ten different types shown in RL.

The RL book doesn't give locations for the numbers.
Nigel
Edited by nigelc - 02/04/2022 8:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
742 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Picking up on what NigelC has added, at http://www.pennymead.com/results.ph...&sub=318&m=s I found these two images, identified as railway cancels and both rather like mine. They do seem legit, no? Also, I now recognize the letters "R.P.O." on my OP as well.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
3146 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   8:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add nigelc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see there's an exhibit at the London 2022 Exhibition entitled, "The Postmarks Used At The Post Offices Of The Cyprus Government Railway 21.10.1905 - 31.12.1951."
Nigel
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5932 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   9:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Nigelc ....I was seeing a page of Cyprus stamps up for auction that had that stamp as I mention .
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great thread!
These were all new to me, even an image search from Google
showed no Rail Pmks.
Nice ID Nigel! Good old RL !

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
742 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   9:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad also to have Nigel's reference to Robson Lowe. I knew nothing of his volumes. Will search now for available copies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2850 Posts
Posted 02/04/2022   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
EMaxim, if you've looked already, I am sure you found each volume on the expensive side. They are worth it, in my opinion, being quite conprehensive for the British Empire. There are two versions, one is the higher numbered books in the Billig Books series.
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/04/2022 10:43 pm
Valued Member
Cyprus
136 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   10:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moose to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Any idea why someone would fake a railroad cancel?

Also, Moose, if you are at some point able to tell me what city station would use the number six cancel, I'd be grateful.

If memory serves me well, although admittedly I am no expert on these post marks, there are two distinct types of Cyprus R.P.Os.

This large type were only around for a few years only - up to 1911 perhaps.
The villages and towns along the railways were rather small and most of the population at the time illiterate so in general they are rather more difficult to come by as not many people were writing letters at the time; some more than others depending on the size of the community at the time.

Faking an R.P.O cancel on a stamp is rather pointless, one just needs to search a little harder to find them however
a complete cover is rather more difficult to come by and does command a premium especially the early years.

The postmarks Floortrader describes are the Duplex post marks used during the early years of British administration of the island although late use has been recorded to early KGV. There were numerical cancels for Larnaca (942), Famagusta (982), Kyrenia (974), Nicosia (969), Paphos (981), Limassol (975) and Polemideia Camp (D47).

These are decommissioned cancelers which had been used in British Post Offices before being sent to Cyprus.

So one can build up a nice postal history collection of duplex cancels with both the British and Colonial post offices being displayed.

I will try get an entire listing of towns and their numerical cancel posted if somebody doesn't beat me to it when I get back to Cyprus.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3328 Posts
Posted 02/05/2022   10:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 602Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05