Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This R5A Private Roulette

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 725Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
108 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   10:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add stampdorkman to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Is this R5a Private Roulette - Never seen one, this looks like it might be but roulettes are so large. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
121 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   10:49 am  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It appears that the bottom and right were cut using pinking shears. It is not a roulette.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   11:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampdorkman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
is it a private perf of some sort on the right and bottom?
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Can you provide a better, bigger scan? Everything about this stamp looks suspicious from here.
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 02/06/2022 12:06 pm
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   1:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampdorkman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamp is OK scan not great but not rouletted, but the large sawtooth like perfs on the two sides of the imperf stamp intrigue me as have never seen this type of perf on revenue stamp. Probably somebody at a later date trying to play with it - don't know have no idea.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5445 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   1:40 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It appears that the bottom and right were cut using pinking shears. It is not a roulette.

Agreed. I'm only aware of two examples of R5a privately rouletted. One is Philatelic Foundation certificate #510290:

http://pfsearch.org/pfsearch/pf_grd...lledfrom=lkp

(I cannot link the image here.)

The other is in my collection. Tied to piece from an attributed entity (Samuel Dexter Hastings, state treasurer of Wisconsin).

Pillar Of The Community
4352 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   1:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stampdorkman,
Gentle suggestion. You have posted quite a few images in various threads over the past few days. I love the enthusiasm. However they are all very small and have have huge white margins. It makes it more difficult for any of us to give our best analysis this way. A close-cropped scan at 200-300 dpi (file size up to 300k) will communicate the details so much better.
Valued Member
United States
108 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   2:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stampdorkman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
just learning the imaging cropping tool on the site, will experiment moreto try and increase clarity. Thanks for all info - so many knowledgeable people on this site never would have guessed. Been away from stamps over 30 years just got back into it 2 months ago - guess I'm trying to make up for lost time.
Pillar Of The Community
4352 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   2:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be honest, I have never used the cropping utility here. I have always made a <300K scan externally.
Edited by John Becker - 02/06/2022 2:05 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5445 Posts
Posted 02/06/2022   3:28 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not just cropping. The resolution you're scanning at is too low. That image is only 200x200 pixels, including all the exterior whitespace, meaning the actual stamp resolution is even lower. You should be scanning at 600dpi or higher.
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 725Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05