Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Post Your Stamp Collector Correspondence

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 491Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3953 Posts
Posted 02/08/2022   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Partime to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I'm sorry, but I searched and could not find this topic.

I picked up a cover, discovered an interesting letter inside, and wonder how many of these types of things you have in your collection. Please post letters (or postcards) with obvious stamp collecting correspondence between the two parties.

As a starter, here is a letter from 1936 (exact date not clear) where Les Thwaite from Sydney has sent a letter to his collecting buddy, F Scheid, in Sacramento, California. Inside, he is thanking his friend for some recent items, and then he is asking for specific US stamps: Mt Rainer and Crater Lake from the National Parks Year Issue of 1934. He is also asking for the Mother's Day stamp of 1934. Those are quite common stamps of today, found in almost everyone's US collection, but I wonder if they were able to complete the trade and proceed onto others?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
192 Posts
Posted 02/08/2022   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I ought to post all the instagram and email correspondences I have with people that go so far and then end nowhere either because I was too lazy or they were. We're all guilty of it, no?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1288 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   03:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an unusual one from my collection. It's written in Bolak, a.k.a. the Blue Language, an artificial international language published by Léon Bollack in 1899.

Translation:

Havana, Cuba, [23 or 25?] April 1901.

Very dear Madam,

I have seen your name in a list of scholars of B[olak], and I note that you persevere in this language.

Please tell me how it progresses in your country. May I request permission of you to correspond with me in B[olak] for practice? If it is not inconvenient for you, send me some postage stamps of the last issue of your country, and I shall do likewise in return-post to you.

Put my name in a list of your friends,

Your [servant?]
JOSE M. ROVIRA

Zulueta 32 A. -- Havana, Cuba

Regarding the uncertainty of the date, Señor Rovira wrote "dovistel", which is nonsensical; he must have meant either "dovister" (23) or "doviskel" (25). In the closing, he wrote "serf" (proletarian), but presumably meant to write "sarf" (servant).
Valued Member
United States
39 Posts
Posted 02/16/2022   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoJo3391 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here are a few letters I found. I've got a few more I just have to find them. JoJo

Previous TopicReplies: 3 / Views: 491Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05