Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

2d Block Stamp Duty With Writing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 430Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
251 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   06:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Pshann to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi
Would appreciate comments
Thx
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
769 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi, Pshann:

In what respect are you seeking comments? Do you see something that may make this a variety rather than the basic stamp? Are you looking for catalogue number or value?

I don't spend any time on postage dues but here are my general comments.

What I see is a badly off-centre printing (Perfs cut into the design) but not so badly that it can be regarded as an EFO. There seem to be a number of shortish perf which could be a bit off-putting to a quality collector. Also, the stamps don't look very clean but that may just be because of the way the photograph was taken. I believe, scanning gives much more consistent results.

It is probably not handwriting on the stamps. It is quite common for postage dues to be cancelled by scribbling on them if a normal hammer postmark is not used.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your comments
What I thought was unusual was looking at the bottom middle
Of the two stamps you will note the right hand stamp is
Lower than the left stamp.
Apologies for the quality of picture
Pillar Of The Community
4425 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I thought was unusual was ...

Gentle suggestion ... I agree with itma ... why not mention this at the beginning instead of leaving us guessing? The title implied you wanted feedback on the cancel.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
769 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The badly placed cliches are not uncommon. Here is one of three examples of the penny ha'penny 1942 Queen Elizabeth cases that I posted back in 2019. I also have a KGV 2d red pair but can't locate a reasonable copy of the image at present. If anyone is interested I'll try to locate a good copy of the image.

Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
Posted 02/10/2022   01:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John
My apologies to all - John you're certainly right
I should have been more specific.
I just thought it was obvious.
Once I noticed the bottom not lining up and then went to the top right hand stamp
I could see flaws everywhere - if I am right
But I'm definitely no expert
Just trying to learn
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
792 Posts
Posted 02/10/2022   4:00 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Misalignment of the individual stamps is not uncommon.

That looks like SG D94, 3rd wmk. Not much commercial value but still attractive.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
769 Posts
Posted 02/10/2022   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's also interesting also to consider the red value insert. (This is the first bicolored misplaced cliche that I have seen.) Now, assume that the bottom right stamp is misplaced and the others all have the same relative positioning for the green, and that the red insert of the top left stamp is in the"normal" position. Then the red insert in the other two is higher than the normal to differing degrees. The red insert in the bottom right stamp appears to be lower and displaced to the right of normal.

Sorry, this is my engineers brain at work, but it does seem that the red inserts are all over the place.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
792 Posts
Posted 02/11/2022   2:43 pm  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It's also interesting also to consider the red value insert. (This is the first bicolored misplaced cliche that I have seen.) Now, assume that the bottom right stamp is misplaced and the others all have the same relative positioning for the green, and that the red insert of the top left stamp is in the"normal" position. Then the red insert in the other two is higher than the normal to differing degrees. The red insert in the bottom right stamp appears to be lower and displaced to the right of normal.

Sorry, this is my engineers brain at work, but it does seem that the red inserts are all over the place.

The red value (duty) plate was set up in groups of 30 across the 120 unit sheet. There is variation in the placement of the duty plates, particularly if the block we see crosses the boundaries of two blocks of 30. The image is not clear enough for me to position the block.
Valued Member
Australia
251 Posts
Posted 02/13/2022   06:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Pshann to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your comments
Appreciated
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 430Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05