Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ebay As A Seller And Small Funds Purchases With Free Mailing

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 352Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3899 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   9:55 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KGV Collector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Should eBay let sellers have a minimum purchase amount for buyers so as to cover costs and that would also allow for cheaper pricing on some listings?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No. eBay is a business ,having another 500,000 listing under stamps would just jam up the listings . Also tell me those $1.00 sales wouldn't increase the work load in the compliant dept . If someone didn't receive their $.50 order of stamps and needed help ,I would have to decide to hang up the phone on their complaint or just tell them to suck it up and don't buy again from that clown and dismiss the complaint .

eBay needs to tell sellers and buyers ,your on your own for $5.00 or less purchases . Don't call us .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3899 Posts
Posted 02/09/2022   11:25 pm  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So free mailing could be on the nose because buyers keep purchasing under $4 lots at only at 1 per invoice. Costs to mail , 50c for stock card, glassine, cardboard stiffener, $1.10 stamp, the time it takes, getting to the PO, plus the sold stamp.

It looks like it comes down to free mailing or not really.

Would hate to see free mail go but.....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1176 Posts
Posted 02/10/2022   04:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One full time dealer who sells on eBay as well, listed the opening for all lots as $0.99 plus shipping. Buy multiple lots and the shipping would be combined and adjusted. Then eBay pressed for "free" shipping from sellers. Eventually the dealer went with "free shipping" on each listed lot but raised the openings to $2.99 for every listing. Buyers still purchased many items together, but because shipping was "free" they got no shipping price break but the dealer made more money on the built in cost of "free shipping" at $2 per listing.

Me, the built in "free" shipping is wise but screws the buyer; however, to minimize the screwing, after so many purchases a dealer adjustment (discount) could be applied to drop the cost of shipping on the buyer. Such as a dollar per listing purchased beginning with the third item makes the buyer feel better and the dealer able to cover the minimum expense of sending out one or two small (inexpensive) lots.

But the bottom line in business is there is no such thing as "free."
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6461 Posts
Posted 02/10/2022   05:49 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I started selling on eBay, I offered free postage. I then switched to charging at cost. I didn't notice any drop-off in sales. You and I may add up the price of the goods and the postage, but, as I know from the many people who pay for things without waiting for a combined invoice, lots of buyers don't. For the stamp collector selling stuff, the likely use of old mint stamps also covers the cost of the strengthened manila envelope etc.
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 352Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.36 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05