Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Bid On And Won The Wrong Lot

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,485Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 02/23/2022   7:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

OK, I am an idiot. I was bidding live in the Rolli European sale this week. They had some Russian covers that were spectacular, and I dreamed about them until go-time. To be fair to myself, or deluding myself, the lot numbering system is crazy. The lots in the catalog are not in numerical order but rather in a random fashion based upon the lot item(s) type. So, you might see Lot 34 followed by lot 769 and then 399 and so on.

Anyway, I am sitting waiting for my lots and notice that there started to be a lag between the lot description/photo and the bid buttons. In other words, you would see a French zeppelin cover on the left side that you knew started at 300 Euros but the bid buttons on the right started at 100 Euros. They were out of sync. It was slight but the bidding moved at a lightning pace. I mean rocket ship on meth fast.

My first cover is the next lot and as I am looking at the photo of it with description on the left, I am also hitting the bid button on the right. So, I hit the button and notice that it now is for 140 Euros instead of 460 Euros. The lot I wanted had been sold and the photos/description had lagged the move to the next lot. As I gasp in horror the cover I am bidding on now pops up on the left and it is a Great Britain zeppelin cover that I DO NOT WANT! SOLD to the man in Massachusetts. Arghhhh

I am more ticked off that I missed a smoking deal on the Russian cover that is worth an easy $1000 all day long.

Just venting.

Thank You
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35525 Posts
Posted 02/23/2022   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Been there, done that.
Mine caused by Turkey lots listed one after another,
I had six screens open at once.

I recall the anxiety and perspiration at the time.
Never to return.

I now pick my lots, divorced hammer times, and
understand (or tell myself) there will always be another chance.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United Kingdom
360 Posts
Posted 02/23/2022   9:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Noocassel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too, except I was lucky, it was a poorly attended room auction, and I was the only bidder, the lot I really wanted attracted no bids. After the auction I explained my error and the Auctioneer allowed me to take what I wanted and leave the unwanted lot. Legally he could have insisted I buy so I was so relieved. The fault was entirely mine. bidding was averaging about one lot every thirty seconds so I had time to avoid my error.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 02/23/2022   10:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I, too, have bid on and 'won' unwanted lots. It just serves to burst the Urban Myth that I am perfect. Yes. Believe it or not. Really. Someday, when someone is scouring my estate's stamp collection, he will come across a couple of items and go, "What the...?", because they make no sense at all in light of the rest of the stuff. Such is life. We have all done it.

Having said that, it certainly sounds like the auction house's 'system' is way more confusing than is necessary!!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 02/23/2022   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
First let me say I understand the bid failure fiascos fundamentally, as well as understand each of our personal reactions to such is driven by individual circumstances, amount of money and the item missed or oops, purchased.

Ah, yes the internet lag-time (latency and server loads) issue the auction firm cannot control nor even may have not been aware. This can be a bit more likely given what is currently going on in certain parts of the world. Not that that affects me much anyway due to the fact in the relatively rural area where I live, internet speed can be quite slow normally, especially when all the computers at the school down the road (and upstream from here in internet flow) all are booting up in the morning. Remember any ad for internet speed even if pushing their new Vulcan 10 terabits per nanosecond service that is the maximum speed but your speed may vary. Remember some few folks do hit the lottery and get close to the advertised speed.

Of course more inconvenient than internet lag time is having your internet service die during an auction. Here on the west coast of the USA when "they" cut power for "your" safety (rather "they" cut power to limit "their" liability and if you need to stay alive with electric powered medical equipment, your safety is your problem) say bye-bye to the internet and internet connected telephone service(s) as well. Tough to play auction bidder then but you will have more money for the next auction, like it or not.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2853 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Auction bidder here feels your pain as does the former auction employee. There you are trying to throw money at them, and they are blissfully unaware that you can't. You should tell them what happened, with teeth gritted. I don't expect much to change, but they should know there's a problem and maybe someday... Like both of us have said before, if an agent is physically present, it's worth it to use them in many cases.

So maybe the decision by SAN to start charging is for a server/system upgrade?? But even the guys who should know better (Zoom, etc.) that have loads of people in a videoconference or attending a virtual event haven't got it nailed down. One bright spark helping to run an online memorial service via Zoom I "attended" was trying to pull the plug on everyone (less than 40 people and not all with video connections) when the real expert had to stop them and fiddle with whatever needed to be fixed.

And I also wonder what the auction houses have for a connection. I kinda doubt it would be terabyte speed. Though, like in your experience, I wonder if they might have a telephone receiver in a cradle and are using DOS software.
Edited by hy-brasil - 02/24/2022 12:23 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
391 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   12:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Willwood42 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happened to me also. A Rasdale auction. There were three mint sets of Zeppelins and I wanted the second one. I thought I had timed it right and left my computer to get a cup of coffee. I came back and they were already bidding on the Zeps. I thought they were on the second lot and placed my bid. But guess what, I won the first lot instead. They were still nice, so not too disappointed
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2031 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   01:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did this as recently as this month.

Good thing I was only A$4.50 out of pocket!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, I paid for the wrong cover and await its arrival. Not sure what to do with it since it does not fit any area that I collect really.

Maybe I will run a contest on this forum and award it to someone out of a pool of donors.

To clarify I was not bidding on SAN but rather on Rolli's own bidding platform provided by Philasearch.

Don't understand how internet speed would matter since the two halves of the split screen being out of sync were the issue. Isn't that an internal thing?
Learn More...
United States
10547 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   3:30 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam,
In your area there should not be any lag issues nor should you see any shared bandwidth issues; average fiber coverage in Massachusetts is 98.08% and in your specific area it is about 90% coverage. Both upstream and downstream should be plenty to prevent any latency. Certainly, more than enough to stream HD television AND computer video over the same connection simultaneously without any noticeable lag. But if you want to check your internet speeds, you can use this online check. https://www.speedtest.net/

But the issue MAY exist on the 'other' side; in this case there are two 'other' sides (split screen). But if the issue existed on the auction side, I would think that other bidders would also be seeing some latency. Any IT 101 person would certainly know that hosting auctions requires supporting multiple users without lag is kinda important.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Yes, fiber was just installed in my Town three months ago and the improvement is incredible. 84 down and 158 up just now. We lived with a Verizon cantenna for years that was slow and extremely expensive.
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
Posted 02/24/2022   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fiber is infinitely better than the alternatives, now that we've had it for a long time, I'd never go back to anything else.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   7:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And so, I get an email from Rolli today and was shocked to find them offering me the two amazing covers that I screwed up bidding on because the winning bidder could not pay. I had placed them on my watchlist. They are high-end Russian covers and I suspect that the bidder is being hit by the sanctions and SWIFT restrictions. They are offering them to me for an increment under the winning bids. For one cover it is a bargain and for the other it is a decent deal. Who says there is not a God of philately?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
3900 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   04:20 am  Show Profile Check KGV Collector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KGV Collector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice to hear!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
877 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   2:52 pm  Show Profile Check docgfd's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add docgfd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good for you, Rogdcam !

From the related and stranger than truth category, some time ago and two auctions in a row, I was watching Apfelbaum auctions just for s's & giggles (I know better than to play with them). One day after each sale, they invoiced me for a lot I never bid on, let alone lots I could care less about. Each time I corrected them telling them I never bid and now that it happened twice, there is clearly a problem on their end. Each time they de-invoiced me, but after the second time, they blocked me from bidding. No loss there, as I wouldn't buy anything from them anyway.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doc - How utterly bizarre and obviously intentional on their part. That is shameless at best. I wonder how they exist. By preying upon the unsuspecting who think that they mistakenly placed a bid and pay up? I really wish they would just fade away.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 1,485Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05