Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Red Boxes Previously Sold At Kelleher Reemerge At Next Kelleher Auction

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,075Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   5:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rogdcam to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was surprised to find 35 red boxes of WW stamps on 102 cards that I sold through Kelleher about two years or so ago pop back up in their next collections auction broken into groups in seven lots.

Not sure why I am sharing this other than I wonder what they have been doing with themselves all this time. I was pretty surprised that the stamps had not been long since dispersed.

I do know that the first time around the same paddle number bought all of them.

It does go to show that most philatelic material is endlessly recycled.

Lots 1757-1763.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/V/v766130.cfm
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
367 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So true Rogdcam,
What goes around comes around. Don't sweat it, it's just money recycling.
Cheers Mark
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1226 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   6:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed those lots earlier today while reviewing, that is funny. Can you tell at all from the descriptions whether they've been at least lightly cherry-picked, or are they as you sold them?
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6459 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   6:38 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Presumably they've been picked over. Odd that the new vendor didn't organise them into coherent groups.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When they were sold, they had been organized into area groups. Going by the catalog values referenced it is hard to tell how much was removed.

One very interesting thing I just recalled while writing this is Sandafayre sold some of my red boxes a while back that were full of Russia only but there were never any red boxes full of Russia only when initially sold by Kelleher. It leads me to believe that Sandafayre was the first buyer, picked through and organized the Russia and is now dumping the rest. They never sold any other of my red boxes although they could have picked and sold singles. Somehow at least some of my material made it to Sandafayre.
Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3328 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   7:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rogdcam; It'all about pump and dump....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed. I am thinking of the commission monies that Kelleher is making on selling the same material over and over. 40 percent between front and back ends the first go round and now will do it all over again. That is 80 percent on the same material. Wow. One more time and they will have earned 120 percent of the first total sales value.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5932 Posts
Posted 02/25/2022   11:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not likely the buyer of those boxes was the one who put them back with the auction house . From my experience with auction houses, maybe the original buyer is now deceased . It was the family or the estate that relisted the lots and this time the auction house decided to break the lot down to smaller units .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 03/19/2022   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, my red boxes just sold again for about what they went for the first time around if memory serves me correctly. The legacy lives on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5932 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So is it correct that they sold for $400.00 to $500.00 a box , with the buyer getting them at 1/10 of catalog . The unknown factors is how much was removed and if other stuff was added , also played with just to jack up the catalog numbers .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   8:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader - Yeah, that sounds about right. I know that at least some stuff was picked out because Sandafayre was selling Russian material from the boxes. Who knows what else was picked. The boxes were a very mixed bag that needed to be looked at but at that price were well worth the money. There were some really, really good things in them. Of course who knows now. I can't remember what they went for the first time and can't get my hands on the paperwork right now. I think there were more boxes when I consigned them the first time.

The first time one bidder bought them all. This time they went to at least three different bidders.

Also, the first time the winning bidder was really slow on paying and I had to wait a long time for my money. In fact they did not pay Kelleher until they walked in the door for the next Collections auction so that was months. Left a very bad taste in my mouth.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5932 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   01:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was surprised you had so many red boxes and was interested in how this past auction would turn out with those 35 boxes .It takes me about 2 years to fill 8 red boxes with 102 cards ,then I put 2 weeks aside to put them all in order from A to Z , then by country and finally each card in Scott catalog order . Those 8 red boxes fit into a record storage box ,then I put it away . I just can't sort and file more than 8 boxes at one time ,that is my limit .

Back in the 1970's and 1980's I was Mel 's biggest buyer of red boxes ,every time Subway Stamps came to Chicago for a stamp show ,he bring a extra case of red boxes just for me . I still buy my red boxes from Subway .They gave me their special offer of a free red box if I buy 1,000 102 cards .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   08:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floortrader - I filled those boxes in about a year and a half or so. Used to purchase tons of large lots and collections and just spend all of my time going through everything and stripping out most anything of value to put on a 102 card. As I am sure is the case with you it can be amazing what you find if you look closely enough at everything. Even the plainest old collection could turn up stuff that the owner did not know they had. That is what drove me. The feeling you get when you find something great. And auction carton lots can be even better. I spent $300 at Rasdale once for four cartons that had crapola on the top of the piles and jaw dropping material two inches underneath in every carton. Another time I bought a cheap box lot from Cherrystone and in a cigar box under a pile of modern US face was hidden a bunch of really high catalog stamps with carts. It must have been the previous owners hiding place. I ended up pulling $70,000 in cat out of those boxes. It drove me to buy more and more and I finally stopped cold turkey when there was no room to move around my house. Crazy. I have sold hundreds of stuffed red boxes over the years and used to buy 102 cards by the tens of thousands from Brooklyn Gallery. Done it my whole life. About 20 years ago I had those huge black footlockers and pelican cases stored in my barn hay loft packed with dealer mini-binders and 102 cards. Sold it all in one shot to an Ebayer. Shipping weight was like 500 pounds. It was actually a sickness I suppose. Just collect Russia now after selling my US collection. Feels a lot better but I still miss the rush of finding something special in a messy pile of stuff.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5932 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   11:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"That is what drove me " same with me . We were both doing the same thing at the same time . But I still had my main worldwide collection . I always wanted to see how far I can go with that ,while at the same time filling those red boxes .

"It was actually a sickness " not really it was a escape from all the stuff that comes up during a life time . For me it was and is my escape from everything and everybody .
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   11:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
For me it was and is my escape from everything and everybody .

I read that and thought about it and realized how right you are. Nothing else existed when I was working on that stuff. It was a great escape.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 1,075Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05