Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kellehe'sr Next Collection Auction In March 2022

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,148Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
5933 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   09:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add floortrader to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Thanks for that link to the next Kelleher auction ,got to review it last night .

Please help me out here -----It looks like Kelleher is going the way of Rasdale Stamp Auctions and putting up more junk lots and picked over country collections . To me the general quality looks like it has been down graded .

They have had good mounted collections in the past but this next auction I see too many bulk lots of "stamps on paper " "stacks of bogus issues " "lots containing 2 cent mixtures " " Albums full of stamps were the best thing they can say is XXXXXX amount of stamps " Consignors are making lots of weak collections and then putting in a bunch of cheap $1.00 covers to call it a POSTAL HISTORY collection of a country .

Would be interesting to see what others say about this

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   10:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They also have stupid high estimates for the area that I collect. Even the openings make me walk away. The way the descriptions read now tells me someone new is writing them and maybe assigning values? Anyway, yeah, a lot of junk in this one. I really like Cherrystone. And the European houses have great collections but there is shipping cost and high commissions. Sometimes it is worth it though.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
664 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   11:26 am  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also noted that more than a few lots mention that they may be viewed in full online but I am unable to find where they exist. Is there some "secret" way to find these images.

For example Lot 1012, Lot 1023, Lot 1027, Lot 1031, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1228 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   11:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are some lots that look interesting. I do find their openings high, and they seem to have increased over the last couple years. The descriptions seem much the same - bad puns & wordplay and all.

If the opening is at 10%+ CV, or if it is set high and they don't provide enough info/pics to accurately assess lot value, it's a non-starter for me.

Think we're seeing auction houses scrambling for good material, and we'll see more "mixed bags" moving forward.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Think we're seeing auction houses scrambling for good material, and we'll see more "mixed bags" moving forward.

Not the case in Europe. I have started purchasing and bidding mostly in Europe, Germany to be more specific. Lots of good collections and large lots.

Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1228 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   3:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting, I'll have to take a look at some German houses. Dabbled a bit in Spanish auction houses, but haven't won anything yet.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Take a look at the Muller auction that wraps up today. The prices were strong, but the material is first class.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6461 Posts
Posted 02/26/2022   4:49 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Quite a lot of the material I've bought in GB auctions over the years has obviously originated in France and Germany - whether consigned from continental Europe or bought in by the houses.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1635 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   08:44 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, I get 80% of my eBay material from the Kelleher Collections auctions and I always either attend or do a viewing. This time I see nothing of interest. When I saw the pdfs for lot 1685 I was ready to call the airline but then I watched the videos and completely changed my mind. The videos show page after empty page, if I'd bought this without viewing I'd have had a fit. I give Kelleher credit for providing many videos that present a true picture of the collection.

One lot that fascinates me is Lot 107, unfortunately the videos don't help a lot but 164 lbs of this material is a lot!!

Ken

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5933 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Took another look at the pdfs of lot 1685 , there selling a $3750.00 lot and they stop the filming to point their finger at a 5 cent stamp . Just to prove to you the people working on descriptions are new to the hobby .

There are many other examples like trying to sell 7 Int'l album set and all they say is 18,000 stamps mounted in them but then you left thinking how to price it if it is all DDR,Hungary ,Czech, and Poland recent issues ,with no photo's .

Another example of stupidity is 5 red boxes with hundreds of cards in each box ,starting at $1,000 . Ok hundreds of cards to me is 400 cards {so each box is 1/2 filled } .Then 400 cards in 5 boxes is 2,000 cards and your going to pay some $1200 to $1500 for cards that is going to cost you .37 1/2 per card or more ,with them saying there are cards that catalog under $1.00 per card ........I need to slap someone .
Edited by floortrader - 02/27/2022 12:07 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   3:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I looked at the Russia lots. I have been walking away from Kelleher lately. In this case their estimates for the Russia lots are just plain ridiculous and yet I bet they sell at estimate. I don't understand who is paying this money and if it is a dealer how they are making a profit.

As a comparison I just looked at and bid on some Muller lots of Russia. One had a scan of every stockbook page which allowed me to clearly do a cv estimate of $12,000 plus. It opened at 200 Euros. They are not trying to create an illusion of value with a bogus opening nor are they not confident in the appeal of the material. The lot ended up going for around 4,000 Euros and with tip that is a genuine value for this highly saleable material. It will retail for a strong 80% plus of cv. The buyer will make 50% on their money, the house did well, and the consigner should be happy.

I am not seeing any of these good lots anymore Stateside except for perhaps at Cherrystone and the few Siegel WW sales that have large lots.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7936 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't know why this surprises any of you. If you were a seller of quality European bulk material, wouldn't you rather sell it in Europe where there are likely to be more buyers, and buyers who have better knowledge of the material?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If you were a seller of quality European bulk material, wouldn't you rather sell it in Europe where there are likely to be more buyers, and buyers who have better knowledge of the material?

What I am saying is that the material is in Europe which makes complete sense. It is not a surprise but rather a lamentation. That aside the estimates in Europe are not as "enthusiastic" as Kelleher's moonshot estimates.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6461 Posts
Posted 02/27/2022   4:02 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You may find this useful - not comprehensive, but a useful list of forthcoming GB auctions

http://www.philatelic-auction-agent...auctions.php
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2945 Posts
Posted 02/28/2022   7:16 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"This time I see nothing of interest. When I saw the pdfs for lot 1685 I was ready to call the airline but then I watched the videos and completely changed my mind. The videos show page after empty page, if I'd bought this without viewing I'd have had a fit."

Why would you assume pictures represent the typical pages and not the best pages?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1228 Posts
Posted 03/10/2022   9:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Finally had a chance to go through the country collection lots of initial interest to whittle it down to a short list and IMO there certainly are a lot of low quality, grab-bag type collection lots up in this auction. With glowing descriptions that are trying hard to sell mediocre material, often at high openings.

At least Kelleher is good about providing videos/PDFs of their material - some other houses given you almost nothing to go on without an in-person inspection.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 1,148Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05