Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Auction Network (In Ontario) Won't Be Corrected

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 864Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

501 Posts
Posted 03/04/2022   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Casey Magoo to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It doesn't look like anyone is being fooled so far, but a local auction running tonight is selling a common Small Queen in hope that it's a priceless Large Queen. I pointed out the discrepancy to them over a week ago, and they said they'd look into it. Not exactly. Same incorrect description on Lot 769.

https://auctionnetwork.hibid.com/ca...re-/?q=stamp
Send note to Staff
Edited by Casey Magoo - 03/04/2022 5:28 pm

Pillar Of The Community
606 Posts
Posted 03/04/2022   5:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Adding a screen grab for archival in case they do actually take it down finally:

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 03/06/2022   5:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here we are two days after the Auction closed. Someone bought it right? These weasles reserve the right to throw out bids if they don't like them. This 'sold' item is on the block again as we speak. This is a very dirty operation if I'm allowed to say it. I've seen this play out many times before. Three people are listed as bidding on it. I wonder if the House is 1 or 2 of them. Be reminded that this is promoted as an Amazon returns auction. They know nothing about stamps.

https://auctionnetwork.hibid.com/ca...re-/?q=stamp
Edited by Casey Magoo - 03/06/2022 5:15 pm
Valued Member
459 Posts
Posted 03/07/2022   10:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add archerg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like an online flea market, mainly of Amazon returns and deadstock. No serious collector would gamble away their stamp money bidding there. If any good stamps turned up for sale, it would be by pure chance.
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 03/09/2022   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
They sold this for at least $47.50 the other day. I saw it happen. Forget that. It's for sale again for the third time this week right now, and the opening bid is $100. I told them this was a common stamp and not the Large Queen they thought it was. Talk about your ignorant jerks.

Edited by Casey Magoo - 03/09/2022 7:40 pm
Pillar Of The Community
501 Posts
Posted 03/23/2022   6:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is no stopping these dummies. This low value common stamp with perf issues is on the block again, and this time another 'bidder' has laid down $100 for it. Is this the person who will actually take it home after all this baloney?

Edited by Casey Magoo - 03/23/2022 6:29 pm
Valued Member
United States
376 Posts
Posted 03/23/2022   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Casey I enjoy your posts, but here you are raging against the storm. I hear you, but who else? The same exact thread was recently discussed over Rosenberg Philatelics. And over .... So many others. Charlatans, scoundrels, and Philastines. Thanks for the adding to the list.
Cheers, a better day is dawning. mark
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
Posted 03/23/2022   8:01 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Education serves to help the hobby, apathy does not.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 03/23/2022   8:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was about to comment in a similar vain to Don's, but my dog did bad things and distracted me. Perhaps TMI but here is my thought expressed far less eloquently than Don's.

A post such as this one serves a valuable purpose especially to newcomers to the hobby in that you should not automatically take other people's identifications or information when selling philatelic items as fact. When I first started buying on the internet many years ago, I would see a seller that I considered to have gravitas whether because of their name or feedback or fancy websites/advertising. Some of them had well-known names and I was not a member of a forum such as this to educate and inform me. I was impressed by Apfelbaum. As a result, and because I was a newbie I got burned. More than once.

People need to know that caution is prudent, and these types of stories drive that home with concrete examples.

There is no upside to NOT posting these things. There is tremendous potential upside to making folks aware of what goes on and avoid pitfalls that can leave a sour taste in your mouth OR drive you away from a wonderful hobby.

My 2.5 cents.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
977 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   02:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think these threads are important. My only reservation is that it can't be read by all the uninformed buyers at auctions like this. When I see a glaring mistake in a catalog, or SAN auction, I always try to contact the auction house. I have very very rarely been ignored. FOR THE MOST PART, sellers want to do the right thing and a mis-identification can happen to anyone.

Decades ago, I gave up on trying to offer my opinions to eBay sellers. The resulting action there was quite the opposite of that stated above.

In every case it is buyer beware. On some venues it is lesson #1. Hopefully, the lesson is learned and isn't too expensive.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8467 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Organizations like the APS could and should do a better job of warning people about the bad behavior that goes on in the marketplace. IMO they do not because they shy away from stories that are negative.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1586 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A missed opportunity because the negative story also allows the organization to sell the educational courses and materials that it offers. "This buyer got taken, but had you taken our Summer Seminar …"
Learn More...
United States
10620 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   08:52 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not to mention the philatelic press. Publications like Linn's, the ASDA mag, and the AP could be educating both buyers and seller on fraudulent activities far more than they do. They would not even have to name names, just communicate that it is going on, what to look for, how to search for a stamp/cover provenance, how alterations are done ('base' stamps used) etc. But I assume that running stories about rainbows, butterflies, and puppy dog tails is much less likely to anger advertisers and those who feel that getting screwed is part of the hobby and a price that everyone should pay.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2982 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   7:36 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I also suspect they are afraid it might scare off some collectors.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 864Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05