Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How Do You Display Your Covers?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,031Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
665 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   4:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
yes, Kanguro mounts are gummed (lick and stick not peel and stick). However, I typically use 3M repositionable tape so that I can reuse the mount if I want to make changes to the page
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36205 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you.
"Kanguro" spelling, still does not pull up a link.
Would you have one please?
Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(if you were responding to me) Best to do a google search for "Bolaffi Taschine" and then click through to the catalog of sizes. I consume mass quantities and place a large order every two years or so. Still, a great product for stamps and covers.

A less expensive solution is to use Atlantic Protective sheet protectors, cut to cover size and affixed to the page. For affixing, I use heavy duty 3m tape which is a 3/4" wide peel and stick product that comes in roills.

Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36205 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Richard.

Edited by rod222 - 03/24/2022 4:50 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36205 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Below is an example of a page I made for a client.

Only issue I have, (and I would be aware ,it being a personal choice)
that the item has no "provenance" information indicated.

I do like to see at major auctions, "ex Arthur Gray 2016" etc
and pricing.
It gives history and conservation history.
For me, it is the gravy to the Meat and vegetables.

Valued Member
United States
223 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Richard Frajola to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well, the most important provenance in a future catalog description, will be the name of my client. The cover has never been described as completely and correctly in an auction catalog. So, why say ex somebody who did not appreciate the importance? Also, for exhibiting, and this client willI never exhibit it, I still consider it more important to be part of the collection being exhibited. For collection mounting, put whatever you wish if you want to make sure some dealer, or auction house in the future can add that to the description, do it.

Having said that, the cover is ex Haub, etc, etc
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6666 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   5:55 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have Sig Bolaffi's Monaco albums - attractive things, though just a sideline, I think.
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36205 Posts
Posted 03/24/2022   9:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The cover has never been described as completely and correctly in an auction catalog. So, why say ex somebody who did not appreciate the importance?

I do hope you have not, in any way, taken this as a criticism of your work, far from it.

I understand you there, however, (to me) it would have been nice to
read where the cover originated, prior to being described.
How it became to be broadcasted, how it may have been discovered etc.
being a very important piece.

I was thinking of the Stanley Gibbons battle of the little bighorn cover, and it's early auction in 1974, I found it fascinating to see it's journey to 2015.

Without it, a piece of history has just "popped up out of nowhere"
and it is poorer without it's passport.
But perhaps that's just me.

If one goes to a museum, and sees a Roman coin by Trajan, then that has some interest, but overall perhaps a wooden description.
If, however, it states "from a hoard, discovered in a Devon field, via metal detector, by 11 year old Michael Citizen" then the romance and wonderment of archaeology is enhanced.

At the million dollar sale, of the Blue Boy
Provenance is duly noted and the romance whetted in description...
https://erivan-collection.com

Provenance: George H. Worthington (Private Transaction, 1915), Henry C. Gibson (Private Transaction, 1922), Alfred H. Caspary (H.R. Harmer Sale 967, 1955), Josiah K. Lilly, Jr. (R.A. Siegel Sale 312, 1967), John R. Boker, Jr. (Private Transaction)
Edited by rod222 - 03/24/2022 10:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2568 Posts
Posted 03/25/2022   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add txstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I currently use the Black Vario 2S sheets, as others have noted.
edit: I should add that I tend to put better covers in Mylar "inside" the Vario pocket .. hopefully for added protection. I've never had an issue.

I am, however, in the long run, planning on doing something like what Richard posted - digitizing and writing up my covers that way.

What I am still trying to decide, is when I do that, whether I'll just do a standard 1-2 cover per page exhibit-style write-up, or whether I'll do something more free-format -- more book-style, with more text.

I'm seriously considering the latter, to make it a more personalized presentation. Rather than just put together another 'exhibit-style' stack of covers, I'd like to come up with something a little bit different, such that maybe I could attract the attention of off-cover stamp collectors, and get them interested in stamps postally used on covers. I might do this by intermingling off-cover stamps with covers, and discussing both. I'm still pondering this general idea in my head. The digital format affords endless possibilities, which is nice.

Edited by txstamp - 03/25/2022 12:31 pm
Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 08/08/2022   12:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add qbdbubd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure how to do this but I saw a post from Moneil in this that said:

I have Harris albums which have a 9" x 12" page size. I will use the Lighthouse Grande sheet (9-1/2" x 12-1/4"), use a guillotine style paper cutter to trim the top and right edges to 9" x 12", and punch new holes on the left edge to fit the two post spacing of the Harris album.

Where did he find a hole puncher for the two post spacing?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 2,031Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05