Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher - Richard M Levy Sale

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,196Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   2:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
357 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add widglo46 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
txstamp - I just noticed lot 23, listed as #7 6L1E isn't even a #7.
It is a #9 recut twice at bottom.

Great eye txstamp!! It's easy to miss the recut of the main frameline when you are just looking at an image, but the 2nd recut is clear. I missed it and bid this lot thinking it was a #7, and I ended up the underbidder.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6383 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   09:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was under bidder on every lot I bid except 1 :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
609 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found the reprinted album which accompanied the slim hardbound auction catalog interesting and oddly moving. He was doing it in part (probably in large part) to explain stamps to his wife. So there was a quirky arrangement in places. His album was also constructed to caution his heirs about certain stamps in particular. So his 295a invert (the 2c Pan Am train) was commented in all caps as a world class rarity - it hammered for $21,000, so he wanted to make sure no one gave it to Mystic for $10k or sucked it up into a vacuum cleaner.

There have been plenty of hardbound catalogs before, but does anyone recall a similar recent (say post 2000) publication of a reprinted album like this?
Demographics being what they are, I wonder if Kelleher (or others) will be doing more of these printed monuments beyond the catalog(s). I assume Mr. Levy paid a subvention to underwrite it....

Thoughts, friends....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   1:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jleb - What are you referencing?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
609 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   2:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for my opaque post.

In the same Kelleher envelope with the hardbound Levy catalog I rec'd was an 8" x 10" paperback about 80 pages in length (it is unpaginated, so that is an est).

An introductory page explains that this production is a "reprint" of what was Mr. Levy's personal album. Kelleher photographed it, then superimposed lot numbers on what they were selling. Some of the pages and facing commentary/explanation by Levy are quite interesting for his approach.

Here are some quick photos.

No Scott numbers, and a big effort to arrange things to elucidate what was happening to create the various types.... This is what I tried to denote by my word "quirky," although I should hasten to add that absolutely no disrespect was intended. "Highly personal" would have been a better choice on my part.

the cover

the page holding his Pan-Am inverts and facing page with commentary which I mentioned in my post

a representative album page,

last a facing page with album page holding some of his 1851-57 1c Franklins.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8310 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   3:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jleb - Ah, I see! Thanks for posting that. I no longer receive Kelleher catalogs and so had no idea. That is very creative and a great tribute to Mr. Levy. Hats off to Kelleher for doing that.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
160 Posts
Posted 03/17/2022   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JLeb - thanks for posting the photos of the album reproduction. I appreciated it, in some ways, more than the sales catalog. I enjoy seeing how a collector has assembled their holdings and trying to determine their logic.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,196Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05