Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Stamp Combos For Current First Class Mail

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 3,854Next Topic
Page: of 5
Valued Member

220 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   12:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Perf10 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Does anyone get creative using up extras and discount postage on outbound mail? Fractional denominations can be a challenge if you want to hit the proper postage on the nose. Recently I've been combining two 21.1 (2150 envelope) with two 7.9 (1615 drum) to reach 58 cents.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9047 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   12:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just did one using old postage on a first-class letter. Put on way over what was necessary because I have more postage in boxes than I could use in twelve lifetimes. I used some 29's and 3 cent commemoratives plate blocks. I mix colors and subjects. Clowns and Presidents.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
478 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   1:43 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Clowns and Presidents

I use Presidents and Clowns myself. I suppose they are interchangeable...

John
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1369 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add No1philatelist to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thats so funny.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1501 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just wish the USPS did not stop with their Letter Stamps for rate changes so soon. One could really send a message if it was continued.

Me, I use what ever it takes to hit 58 cents or the amount due on heavier mailings.
Valued Member
220 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've used the letter stamps to "spell" words. Happy Birthday can sort of be done with H B D, though totalling 73 cents it's more than needed right now. My postmaster must be thrilled, assuming he still bothers to check for proper postage.
Valued Member
11 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hilarion to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will confess that a few years ago when the first-class letter rate was 50 cents, I once mailed an envelope with five 8.3's and an 8.5, and thought myself incredibly clever.

Alas, my last few lots of discount postage have included very few fractionals, so lately I don't have many chances to show off in that particular way....
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2759 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   5:05 pm  Show Profile Check Battlestamps's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Battlestamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When I have dealt with postal clerks who insist on counting the values of every stamp to ensure I have the correct amount as if I was somehow trying to cheat I've gotten back at them by using a mix of stamps with fractions, odd decimal places, letter rate types A through H and even non-denominated stamps like some of the Xmas issues without face values. It works very well. Afterwards, they'll take your word and things move much faster.
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use whatever combination of old stamps gets me to the correct postage and I can fit it on the envelope. Smaller envelopes mean have to use larger denominations, which are also larger in size themselves than stamps from the 30s-60s.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
94 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   5:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe you guys need a hobby!
Valued Member
220 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   6:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coin collectors don't get to have such fun.

My last batch of discount postage included a bunch of 1 1/2 cent Martha Washingtons. Maybe it's not tough enough for the postal clerks, but I just realized 58 can be made with a block of 13s plus a block of 1 1/2s.

Having to buy a minimum of 500 of each the fruits coils means I have plenty of modern 1/2/3/4/5/10s to use up creatively. I've since learned Maurice will sell less at a time.

If the next first class rate is 60 cents, fans of William Stein's books will be able to use lettered stamps like CDB!
Pillar Of The Community
4587 Posts
Posted 03/15/2022   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Realistically, very few clerks are going to take the time to add up the stamps. And letters dropped in a blue box will pass through the system to the delivering carrier before they are ever seen as an individual mail piece.

Also, when I am buying postage at 60% face, it is convenient even now to apply three 20-cent stamps. Costs me 36 cents to mail a 58-cent letter! Seldom worth the time to hunt around for the exact change.
Pillar Of The Community
1448 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   05:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add blcjr to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John,

You are raining on their parade. Plus, without the exact rate paid, your covers will be of no interest to future postal history buffs.

;)

Basil
Valued Member
United States
331 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   2:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add waddsbadds to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
At least in the US we can still use the fractional stamps. In the UK they demonetized the 1/2 penny coin, so for stamps that end with a 1/2 P, it doesn't count toward the total.
Edited by waddsbadds - 03/16/2022 3:00 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6848 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   3:07 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No - 1/2p stamps still count towards the total on UK mail, eg a 15 1/2p + 14 1/2pm counts as 30p, not 29p.
Edited by GeoffHa - 03/16/2022 3:14 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Australia
36797 Posts
Posted 03/16/2022   8:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Plus, without the exact rate paid, your covers will be of no interest to future postal history buffs.

Humour aside, is that pertinent these days?
To know the correct rate, one has to know the weight / size restrictions?
Virtually unknown these days, without a meter stamp.

5c here in odd oldies, made up the correct weight here (I presume)

Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 3,854Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05