Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Stamp Combos For Current First Class Mail

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,293Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   12:10 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
there will be two rate increase in 20233.

Well, I can safely say those will not concern me as I will be long dead.

I'll be here all week, tell your friends.

Quote:
The 2¢ not even needed as the 40¢ postal card rate was paid by meter.

Someone in the central office cost the organization 2 cents per mailing. And no, there are no regulations requiring the meter be only 40 cents, card required to be prepaid a total of 40 cents, but not the meter. Perhaps some office person thought the black printed text was a cancel or made the cards obsolete. As an aside, this card used has a value of $1.00 (yes in italics) meaning not many were used "in period" and the office may have been afraid the USPS would delay the cards trying to figure out if they were real.

Pat, you could send a good letter to the UPSS editor asking about the over-payment. Play with stamps long enough we all make a blunder, I know I have.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 03/20/2022 12:52 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1275 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I think that Poultry issue includes the first bird other than an eagle to be depicted on a US stamp.

If you wrote as central theme rather than first bird depicted and include a limit to just postage stamps (RW Stamps are issued for duck hunting beginning 1934), then okay. But you did not.

The first bird depicted on a US Stamp other than an eagle to the best of my knowledge was in 1892. Check the US 10 cent Columbian right above the "NG" in "PRESENTING" in the bottom frame.

Here you can see the bird in color, at least three if not four colors:

Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 03/27/2022   2:19 pm  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like using two 29 cent commemoratives to make the rate
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   10:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
per the link below, an increase to 60 cents is likely to go into effect July 10

if approved, the second ounce rate will rise from 20 cents to 24

sounds like my supply of 6 cent stamps will be put to use, and it might be time to buy more Forever second ounce stamps

https://about.usps.com/newsroom/nat...for-2022.htm
Valued Member
United States
200 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   09:45 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been using only denominated stamps since the start of the forever program. My original purchase of 42 cent stamps (first forever cost) are now 58 cents and soon to be 60. getting rid of denominated stamps that 'deflate' for me is the way to go.
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   11:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I need to do the same, use denominated stamps exclusively until July's price increase. Last year I stocked up on additional ounce stamps when they were selling for 15 cents. As of July those will become 24 cents, which represents a 60% appreciation since last year, and about 1000 times the interest rate on my bank account.

The additional ounce rate was briefly 24 cents in the past, time for only one 24c stamp (a butterfly) to be issued, albeit in a few formats.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8475 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What to do with my boxes of single digit face value stamps. Not enough real estate on an envelope now to use them by themselves.
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
the additional ounce stamps can rescue you, two of them leave room for several 3 or 4 centers

most of my outgoing mail has 8 to 12 stamps on it, I found some 4.5 cent Prexies and realized a block of them goes perfectly with a block of 10s, now I need to do that before the first ounce rate goes up to 60 cxents
Valued Member
94 Posts
Posted 05/10/2022   6:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy mixing low denominations with slightly higher ones for postcrossing --- especially international postcards. It can be a challenge and I think one or two postcards were simply lost because my handwriting faltered as I tried to squeeze the outgoing address onto the card. Still can be fun --- especially if you have the old low denomination commems and modern low denom defins to mix up things.

For domestic mail, sometimes I do the same for friends or a bill or two.
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Holding a permit to use precanceled or service inscribed stamps does not require that you use them only on mail pieces that qualify for the service inscribed on the stamps or that your mail volume meets the requirements for presorting discounts. The permit merely allows you to use those stamps to meet the retail rate for the desired service. The only requirements are that the mail piece is endorsed with the service requested, e.g First Class, and that mail pieces bearing precanceled/service inscribed stamps are mailed over the counter at the post office where the permit is held.

All the documentation I've seen says precanceled stamps can only be used on presorted or automation mail: https://pe.usps.com/text/qsg300/Q604b.htm
Valued Member
United States
70 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   2:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm surprised people can use the fractional cent stamps on retail First Class letters. Those stamps are all Bulk Rate, Presorted, ZIP+4 discount, etc. meant for commercial mailers only. They're not supposed to be used for retail pieces, and they're not sold to the public at retail locations.

I mean the modern fractional cent stamps, like since the 1970s or 80s. I guess there are the much older fractionals from periods when the retail rates were fractional.
Pillar Of The Community
4420 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Letterpress,

Many collectors have a "mailers postmark permit" which allows them to use the service-inscribed and precanceled stamps for their single-piece first class mailings. Here are 2 examples:

Valued Member
137 Posts
Posted 05/20/2022   4:13 pm  Show Profile Check philatomic's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add philatomic to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Letterpress,

The regulations at the link you provided aren't really clear on this usage by collectors but it is allowed. Section 604 of the Domestic Mail Manual includes this statement.

I've held a permit and used such stamps for over 30 years on single piece mailings, and know several other collectors who also do this, especially PNC collectors who invariably end up with a lot of scrap from bulk rate coils. Below is a scan from an item I just received last week, sent as Media Mail and not part of a bulk mailing.

Form 3615, the permit application, used to be more clear about this permissible usage but lost some detail in a later revision.

A Mailer's Postmark Permit is not required and the permit applies to fractional stamps as well, as long as the total postage affixed meets or exceeds the desired rate.

Valued Member
94 Posts
Posted 06/30/2022   11:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
philatomic thanks for your post as I am beginning to accumulate a few non-profit stamps. I may sell a few on eBay but good to know I could use them for postage with a permit.

I use older denomination stamps for first class mail and domestic postcards. For Priority Mail and international postcards I use Forever Stamps and denominated. Just don't have the room on the envelop for what I have - mainly 3 cent - 13 cent older stamps, 1 - 10 cent current stamps as well as the additional ounce. But I do try to conserve the Forever first class and other Forever stamps subject to rate increases. Since there will be one mid July and later in the year looks like I will be using quite a few of the denominated stamps (and purchase a grabbag of mint stamps too --- any sellers looking for a buyer I am interested!)
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 44 / Views: 2,293Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05