Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Old Stamp Combos For Current First Class Mail

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 3,908Next Topic
Page: of 5
Pillar Of The Community
4609 Posts
Posted 09/02/2022   09:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I2y,
With the typical transient nature of apartment living and opportunity for misboxing letters, I would not be surprised at any carrier taking a quick scan through the outgoing letters to see if there is anything addressed to that building to "correct". I suspect the USPS get lots of junk mail put back into the outgoing slot as a way to disposing of it. A quick visual scan by the carrier saves a lot of potential problems during later processing. Can't complain about the fast delivery though! Obviously if you want controlled mail to yourself, you'll have to mail it from elsewhere.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   09:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Philatomic and Becker, thanks for the explanations on precanceled permits and mailer postmark permits. I just received mail from a collector with his own mailer postmark.

Phil, how did the sender get a meter label with $0.00 in postage? I get that they paid postage with all the stamps, but they'll still print and affix a meter label with zero postage on it? (It looks like a post office retail counter meter printout, or a post office kiosk deal. It's not a rented meter, like a business would have.)

How much do Forever stamps count when they're used as part of a larger assembly of stamps?
Valued Member
United States
77 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   09:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Letterpress to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
l2y, I don't follow. Why are you putting self-addressed envelopes in the outgoing?

Quote:
I guess they think they are saving me from wasting stamps, but I pull my hair out every time they do this.

Wasting stamps? If you already affixed a stamp on the self-addressed letter, then it's already used. There's no way to prevent you from wasting stamps at that point, unless they assume that you're going to MacGuyver the stamps off and reuse them.

Why do you pull your hair out? I guess I don't understand what this is about, why you would put self-addressed mail in the outgoing. Are you trying to get a marking? I thought you needed to go to a post office to get the special ones.
Valued Member
United States
221 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Letterpress-- whenever I need a receipt for an item that would get tracking and I'm using stamps as opposed to a printed tracking label, I will go to the desk and ask for a receipt, they count the postage to see if it adds up correctly, then will print the label to show that postage was in fact paid. If you are short on postage, that label could even say one penny and they'd charge you the penny. I suppose it's just meant to keep everything kosher and to prove everyone's paying what they should be. Perhaps the post office is just interested in how much money they're making, for bookkeeping and tracking revenue, maybe even to see which post offices can go kaput or the like.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1513 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   2:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Every time I put a self-addressed envelope into my apartment property's outgoing mailbox, the postal worker takes them and just sticks them back into my mail box and doesn't send them to the post office for processing.
I guess they think they are saving me from wasting stamps, but I pull my hair out every time they do this.

Your letter was properly processed by the USPS when the letter carrier delivered it as address. Of course the carrier needs to cancel (deface) the stamps to protect revenue to be completely proper.

Carriers previously received and delivered mail along their route during a days' travels, especially RFD carriers. Seasoned carriers on the same route know the addresses they cover.
Valued Member
220 Posts
Posted 09/20/2022   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Perf10 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The $0.00 label documents the parcel, especially those over the self-mailable weight, was presented at a post office counter.

If I want to receive a normally postmarked stamp via self-mailing, I have to mail it not only away from my apartment building but also in a different zip code. If I mail such a a letter at my local post office, it does not go through normal processing, insead the local marker monkey has a field day.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   4:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gabriella77us to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some of my relatives who are also stamp collectors use odd combinations of old stamps to mail letters to each other and to me.

Here are two examples, one from the 45c time period and one from the 55c time period.
Valued Member
United States
479 Posts
Posted 09/27/2022   5:52 pm  Show Profile Check johnsim03's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The second cover looks like an illegal usage to me - I'm assuming it wasn't Special Delivery...?!

John
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 10/16/2022   10:43 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that the cover with special delivery stamps was illegal use. The amount of postage on it would not allow for that use and besides was discontinued at the time of its mailing. what is interesting is that you can see the black bar codes in the upper left of the cover. This cover has no tagged stamps on them so it should have been kicked out for manual sorting. At that point it would have been caught. Today no one seems to care about a few deflating US CENTS! Look how they have created stamps that increase in value. the forever stamps.
Edited by stampCat7 - 10/16/2022 10:48 am
Valued Member
United States
65 Posts
Posted 11/04/2022   2:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add l2y to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry it took so long to reply, but I just saw this today.

I only collect used stamps. I like the cancellation marks. Since I am very old fashioned and still mail checks to pay my bills, I use this as an excuse to buy new stamps. Instead of waiting for dealers to get used newer stamps, I cut out the middle-person and send them to myself.

I now mail self-addressed letters from the post office. However, I think that no matter were the letter is going to the postal worker should send it through the system. The post mark has a legal significance and by not sending the letter though the system, the postal worker could be causing a lot of harm.

Also, just putting a stamp on an envelope does not make it used. Just today I had a letter returned as undeliverable. The stamp was not cancelled. I cut it out and glued it onto a new envelope. I have been using uncancelled stamps for over 35 years. USPS doesn't consider them to be used and neither do I.
Edited by l2y - 11/04/2022 2:55 pm
Valued Member
United States
202 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   10:56 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
stamps with backing can't legally be reused or glued to an envelope as far as the postal regulations go. No one seems to care though since it isn't worth the time to deal with this problem.
Edited by stampCat7 - 11/06/2022 10:57 am
Pillar Of The Community
4609 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   11:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't think it is a matter of "not caring".

It is simple business economics ... a situation of increased automation and labor costs. With today's technology, a bin of jumbled letters from a blue curb-side box is dumped onto a conveyor at a processing center and can be mechanically faced, cancelled, bar-coded, and eventually sorted to delivery sequence, such that the mail piece is NEVER seen by an actual person until it is placed in the destination mailbox. The carrier is looking at the address and not the postage. The USPS works on the assumption that the vast majority of mailers are honest. The cost to monitor and collect/prosecute that small percent of fraud is greater than the amount lost. (i.e., no USPS worker would collect enough to pay their own labor costs.) It is not much different than Walmart adding a percent or two to the retail price of everything to cover pilferage.

Quote:
Also, just putting a stamp on an envelope does not make it used. Just today I had a letter returned as undeliverable. The stamp was not cancelled. I cut it out and glued it onto a new envelope. I have been using uncancelled stamps for over 35 years. USPS doesn't consider them to be used and neither do I.

l2y, show your quote to a postal inspector and you'll get a different angle. Just because you have not been caught does not make it legal or ethical.
Edited by John Becker - 11/06/2022 11:14 am
Learn More...
United States
10995 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   11:54 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
...I have been using uncancelled stamps for over 35 years. USPS doesn't consider them to be used and neither do I.

This is like going to a retail store that you know accepts returns, buying something, using it as intended, then returning it. The rest of us (society) pays for this in the form of increased prices in the store. Much like shoplifting, the store just raises prices for the other customers to cover the loses.

In this case the postal services simply pass along the cost of people reusing postage to everyone else. I realize that a lot of people do this, it certainly is not the crime of the century. But I wonder if some of these folks are the same ones who complain about postal rate increases. Or the ones who complain about 'marker monkeys' when postal employees do their job by protecting loss of revenue by those who reuse postage.
Don
Valued Member
Spain
379 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   12:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello.
I know it's illegal, but in my case/opinion, it's ethical.
I collect Spain again, no matter how many stamps are not canceled (almost all are canceled) and I reuse them, I will never equal the cost of unconsumed stamps; I have bought pieces of paper for a lot of money so as not to use them, I have paid for many services that they will not give me.
Regards.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6869 Posts
Posted 11/06/2022   1:26 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's both illegal and unethical. I'm not saying that I've always been both legal and ethical. I think the turning point for me was bringing up my daughter, and trying to show her the importance of doing the right thing. She's a much better person than me, so it seems to have worked.
Page: of 5 Previous TopicReplies: 62 / Views: 3,908Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05