Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best And Final Auction Bidding

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 819Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
533 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add hoosierboy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What would happen if internet auctions advanced the closing time of each lot until say sixty seconds after the last bid is received?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
1176 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe sold prices would rise.

I also believe that is a huge business change from the current time deadline auction format.

In the current format, one senses one can get a deal thus drives customers to buy on the platform. In your suggestion, the sense of a deal would be less likely.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1515 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   2:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is what Catawiki does.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
555 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It could really throw off the published schedules of what lots are offered what days for any auction that did that. Auctions would either have to run on past closing time or risk having to add an extra day to cover the overruns.Buyers might not be willing or able to sit around well past the time they thought a specific lot would come up for bid.
Valued Member
United States
83 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   4:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Paradise Valley and Emerald add 5 minutes from the last bid, Kelleher weekly may also do this. Can't remember which of the internet auctions I occasionally use that do this.
Pillar Of The Community
588 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   5:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I buy from a firm that does that for their online auctions. The auction proceeds on for maybe a few more minutes for a particular lot that gets a last minute bid, but then peters out. I've only seen a lot or two that continued on for more than that. I prefer that over the last second sniping on eBay. Maybe it's more psychological than rational, but I hate, hate, hate that stuff. But I'm a hypocrite since I do it myself faced with no other choice for a lot I really want.
Edited by Oracle of Delphi - 03/18/2022 5:51 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there is going to be change in the auction industry how about when the last lot is hammered, and the dust has settled the bid ledger be published with anonymity for bidder's ala eBay. Let me see what the book bids were, how increments were handled and how any given lot ended up where it did. A document that would be admissible. THAT is change I could get behind.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
79 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   9:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some auctions call this a "soft close". It minimizes sniping as Oracle said above. I have mixed feelings about it. But if the auction terms are clear, then it's up to you as a bidder whether you choose to participate.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 03/18/2022   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What would happen if internet auctions advanced the closing time of each lot until say sixty seconds after the last bid is received?

?
Isn't this always the way?
(Apart from eBay) I do not support any auctions that do not offer this.

Valued Member
United States
41 Posts
Posted 04/18/2022   6:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dllimoges to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am with you Rod 222 I don't support auctions that do not have reasonable in bed timing. I have lost too many lots trying to get back-and-forth between auctions that I am bidding on in there are no time differences. By that I mean sometimes an auction will have 10 items that I'm bidding on and they're all coming off at the same time and then it's compounded by a bunch of sniping!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
963 Posts
Posted 04/18/2022   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect it would have a little impact on closing times, but not much. I suspect most lots sell pretty close to what they would actually sell for if a soft-sell approach were adopted. Maybe one of two more bids (and, thus, a minute or two of 'OT') is all that the market would bear. It MIGHT result in fewer crazy bids at the last second - a $5 lot that suddenly gets a $500 bid simply to outbid anyone else's last minute (assuming) quasi-reasonable bid. It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard about 2 people going 'crazy high' on the same lot at the last second - someone gets a $25 lot for $501. I bet they don't do that twice!

Soft-close: fewer 'crazy high' bids, and a delay of only a few minutes. I can imagine longer closes for poorly described lots - like a carton of albums, loose stamps, messy stockbooks and dealer pages. I can imagine there would be many people willing to go an extra $1 on a lot like that hoping to find that one treasure near the bottom of the carton.

The soft-close is almost standard in a real auction. eBay went 'another way' with how they close, though, and many other online auction sites followed suit.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1635 Posts
Posted 04/19/2022   08:58 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rasdale has a 7 second clock and it seems to work fine, but they are running a single auction and the lots close sequentially on eBay it's a totally different story with many lots from different sellers closing every 60 seconds. I think a soft close would make it impossible to try and win lots from 2 different sellers.

If they instituted a soft close on eBay I would need to have my lots close sequentially. I sell 50 items a week and the auctions all close 1 minute apart so buyers can bid on more than 1 item. A soft close without sequential bidding would make it very difficult for my bidders and if they were watching another sellers auctions too it would be impossible.

Quote:
It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard about 2 people going 'crazy high' on the same lot at the last second - someone gets a $25 lot for $501. I bet they don't do that twice!

As a seller I have to ask what is wrong with crazy bidders? Last week I had an item sitting at $17 with 1 minute to go and it was hammered close at $1325!!! I just had 2 bidders that really wanted the item.

Ken
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 04/19/2022   12:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add moneil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
It hasn't happened to me, but I have heard about 2 people going 'crazy high' on the same lot at the last second - someone gets a $25 lot for $501. I bet they don't do that twice!

Quote:
As a seller I have to ask what is wrong with crazy bidders? Last week I had an item sitting at $17 with 1 minute to go and it was hammered close at $1325!!! I just had 2 bidders that really wanted the item.

I've never sold in a stamp auction but exactly what I was thinking as I read through the thread was that a "hard close" would be good for sellers. I am going to probable try my hand at selling some surplus material on eBay later in the year and I wouldn't mind some crazy bidders, though I doubt my material will be that titillating.

As a buyer I've gotten skunked a few times on eBay by very last minute bids from someone else, but I think it would be just as bad to have to keep waiting a minute or two to protect ones position, or else you've set a ridiculous high bid, and then one is just another "crazy bidder".

Valued Member
United Kingdom
112 Posts
Posted 04/19/2022   6:04 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you think about the traditional room auction, the item sells when the bidding stops!
Internet auctions have a well publicised end time, so this should really be fixed. This means if you want the item bid the maximum you want to pay and no more. If you bid a crazy amount you do risk a second or 3rd similar crazy bid making the price crazy!
Valued Member
United States
449 Posts
Posted 04/19/2022   9:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I really don't pay much attention to auctions, period. If I do, I bid my maximum and just walk away. I get it or I don't. It's just not worth it to me to sit there and stress over it. Let me know if I won.
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 819Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05