Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

This page may contain links that result in small commissions to keep this free site up and running.
Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Photoshopped Rd159 For Sale On Hipstamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,758Next Topic
Page: of 3
Learn More...
United States
11244 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   07:44 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am surprised that few (if any?) HipStamp sellers care that they are competing with the owner of the HipStamp venue. I cannot help but imagine the threads/posts we would have if eBay opened a store of their own, started selling stamps and covers, and competing against other eBay sellers and buyers. The owner of a venue has a significant competitive advantage by having full access to the entire database and has the capability of pulling all kinds of 'behind the scenes' shenanigans. Not saying that HS does this, only that they have the capability. It is a question of trusting them. Given this thread, how high is that trust?
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9513 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   08:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is another bad one from RP. This is being sold as a 500 which it is most definitely not. There is also a crease or something bad going on across the top. But who cares about the crease/scuff. The stamp is not a Type Ia.

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/us...-hr/45230496
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9513 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   08:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And this 453 MNH coil pair is anything but.

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/us...-nh/45230521
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8457 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   09:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree, that is not a 500, and the coil is an obvious fake.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8457 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
United States
8457 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
And who is willing to believe that this is really a mint NH stamp?

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/us...-nh/45228236
Valued Member
235 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobplates to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don's point is a good one and frankly I am surprised at how direct the owner is. From one respect I give them propers for getting an auction business going(which was dead before they started to sell whomever's inventory). On the other hand the descriptions are awfully thin(read as the old "let the photo be the description" model) and the conflict of interest certainly raises an eyebrow or two.

Frankly, I gave up selling on eBay and my own web store for several reasons. In the case of eBay it was the CONSTANT tweaking of the rules and a steady loss of lower valued material which miraculously disappeared after being shipped via 1st class mail(the only viable option). In terms of the web store it was the cost of maintenance versus traffic. Also the difficulty of trying to sync it with either eBay or Hip. At least on Hip there is a consistency in the inconsistencies which I can deal with. I try to focus on the stamps and the customer service... not constantly checking my inbox for yet another supposed "enhancement" that is just another tax or dressed up regulatory change(in other words tax). For me, Hip is the best choice amongst a set of suboptimal ones.

Bob
Learn More...
United States
11244 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   10:38 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Imagine the havoc an unethical venue owner could unleash. They could see all the bids and could even insert a winning final bid at will. Even on the buying side, they basically could get 'first dibs' on any listing. They could have full vision and understanding into not just your listings and entire sales history but everyone's data! They could easily tap into the full power of being able to crunch, compile, and analyze market trends.

If a person owned a local brick and mortar store, imagine a store on the other side of town being able to see your books, having the ability to out-buy you, being able to control the traffic your store gets, etc. Few reasonable people would consider opening a brick and mortar store under that scenario yet when we switch over to the online world we are seem to have far fewer concerns.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9513 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   1:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Lots of questions for RP. You have a multimillion-dollar online auction venue that raises substantial venture capital, and you are selling low grade stamps that are in some cases faulty and misidentified. Why? You should be setting the standard by example for other sellers but instead lower the bar. Why? If a buyer has an issue with a RP purchase their recourse is to have the RP owned venue step in to mediate. Really?

And then of course there are the issues that Don has raised which are no doubt the larger ones.

The whole thing is nonsensical IMO.

PS: I still cannot get the Hip spam faucet turned off.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9513 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   3:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had few minutes to browse more of RP's offerings. They do not have a clue what they are doing which could be hilarious given what their business is. It is not hilarious though. It is pathetic.

A perforated 484:

Another "500" that is NOT a 500:

A 491 that is decidedly not a 491:

An offset printed 499:

Anybody building their collection from this selection is in for a shock if they are taking the identifications at face value.

Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   5:59 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think the basic problem is that the main sites that actually attract buyers as well as sellers are more interested in their own commission and profit than the customers or the items available.
For sellers its often more successful to use an established brand as the items subsequently sell, than to have their own sites. Lets be realistic, the well known sites have vast choices on almost any type of stamp as they have millions of items listed. A small stamp business will never have as many items or be able to advertise as widely. Even a business with 10-20000 items will be insignificant when the size of the big platform is considered. The quality and expertise of a small dealer should be better than a listing platform. Of course there will always be a few rogues in the stamp world, but then there are rogues in every walk of life.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
9513 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   6:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In this case the seller also owns the platform, Hip Stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
597 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   6:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add uboatnut to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Mark Rosenberg monitors this forum. I'm surprised he hasn't said something or that someone hasn't called him on this and asked for an explanation. This thread is terrible for his business.
Edited by uboatnut - 03/20/2022 6:39 pm
Valued Member
United Kingdom
153 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   6:45 pm  Show Profile Check Triangle's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Triangle to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you uboatnut.
I have been very careful not to name anyone in my post, but to generalise.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3168 Posts
Posted 03/20/2022   6:46 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"The owner of a venue has a significant competitive advantage by having full access to the entire database and has the capability of pulling all kinds of 'behind the scenes' shenanigans. Not saying that HS does this, only that they have the capability. It is a question of trusting them. Given this thread, how high is that trust?"
Given this thread and some other things, very low.
Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 41 / Views: 2,758Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2023 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2023 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05