Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Identify This Green 'Stamp'

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,039Next Topic  
Valued Member
Canada
151 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   08:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rrogers to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I recently came across this little gem pictured below. I'm not sure if this is a label that is sometimes printed with a stamp or if it is a misprinted stamp of some sort. It is mint and has a watermark (#35 in Scott's Great Britain section) Crown and Block GVR multiple.

Send note to Staff
Thanks for any and all assistance.

Valued Member
Switzerland
82 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   08:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Zuerich4 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear rrogers

See here: http://goscf.com/t/16818

It is a british test stamp.

Best regards from Switzerland

André
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   1:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Collectors sometimes refer to these as "poached eggs."
Valued Member
Canada
151 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   2:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rrogers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks André and CJ I've never encountered one of these before. Are they rare or common? This one isn't mine, just researching for a friend. Realistic sale value?
Thanks for any and all assistance.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   3:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Scotty19 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
how does one post a message on this stamp forum
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7951 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   3:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scotty, could you elaborate a bit? What kind of message?

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
United States
3954 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   3:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
how does one post a message on this stamp forum

You just did. If you want to email an individual person, then click on their name and hope that they have email enabled. You may not have much access until you have 50 quality posts, though.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1503 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   3:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Or did you mean a new thread / topic?

Go to the buttons at the top. Click the one that says 'home.'
Click on the relevant forum: the one you want to open a new post in.
At the top of the list are two buttons. One says 'New Topic.' Click, enter the thread title, enter the text and below the input box, click 'Post New Topic.'

If you already are in the correct Forum, go to the top of the thread and look for the 'New Topic' button. From there, it is the same as above.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are they rare or common?

It might depend on where you are. Here in the Central U.S., I see them from time to time. Every dealer in the UK would know what they were. Not every U.S. dealer will know. I bet if you went to any medium-size bourse, and showed the dealers a picture on your phone, at least one would say, "oh, I have a few of those...now where did I put them?"

Certainly online they're easy to find. You can search for test stamps, testing stamps, dummy stamps, "poached egg" and others.

You won't be surprised to hear that there is a group (at least one, maybe more) that studies dummy stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1503 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   6:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This green one and a black/grey one with text 'for testing purposes only' make between less than a pound to a few pounds each.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5919 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cjd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yep, they're often on a dealer card for $1 here - the nearly-universal asking price among small-show dealers for "I don't know what it is, but, it's gotta be worth a buck."

Nearly universal, because some dealers put those NOIDs ("no i.d.") at $10 or $25.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 03/21/2022   7:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

An eggceptional post here
http://goscf.com/t/22654 br /
  Previous TopicReplies: 11 / Views: 1,039Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05