Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

New Platform For Scott Catalogue Digital Version. Mixed Feelings

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 4,815Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3037 Posts
Posted 04/06/2022   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

I believe the better answer would be they do not license their numbering without being compensated for the use. If they give to someone permission at no cost then other licensed users of similar products would complain. It would also likely impact their legal defense of IP.

Mystic uses Scott numbers but then Mystic buys ads in Amos Publications and may pay a royalty for each album sold. Mystic likely outsells the beginning albums from Scott.

I offered to pay Scott, and they still would not do it.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3037 Posts
Posted 04/06/2022   11:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add apastuszak to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:

What!?! A revision history for every catalog number!?! Oh my gosh, welcome to 1996. I do not fault an organization for not being on the bleeding edge of the tech curve, it is very risky and potentially costly. But being 25 years behind the tech curve?

Imagine being able to run a report to see the revision history for any catalog number; the date of the change, what was changed, why it was changed, etc. If I can develop and implement a SQL database for every US stamp (years ago), there is no reason why any organization with more resources could not also. And gee, sound like the kind of details which would justify a higher cost subscription (along with many other capabilities).
Don

If you needed to get stuff into a database, then you just hire a bunch of summer interns in high school to do data entry.

Or, even better, you could buy StampManage or one of the other companies that already has all the data in a database.
Free Ukrainian Stamp Album and modified Mystic Stamp Album Pages - http://www.stamphacks.com
Ukrainian Philatelic and Numismatic Society Member #1212: http://www.upns.org
Eire Philatelic Association Member #2869: http://www.eirephilatelicassoc.org/
Learn More...
United States
10541 Posts
Posted 04/06/2022   1:59 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I offered to give them mine for free but they were not interested.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   06:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I offered to pay Scott, and they still would not do it.

I believe you offer your pages for free and they would want a way to get revenue for every copy sold. You have no way to prevent reuse.

StampManage requires a unique paid license number to use so there is some control pirating.

This is the same company that tried stop providing PDFs for Linn's Stamp News. This is how they think.
Al
Edited by angore - 04/07/2022 06:43 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   08:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't Amos own Linn's?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 04/07/2022   1:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes.
Al
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   07:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is an interview with Jay Bigalke on Scott's new online digital catalog.

The fact that Jay states he scans many of the issues seems to show that the staff is quite small and likely a key limitation. This is compared to the crowd sourcing model of some other stamp catalog like web sites.

https://stamps.org/news/c/collectin...iption-model
Al
Valued Member
112 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was pretty surprised by that interview. He was really excited about the upcoming ability to have photos from every stamp in a set, instead of just one stamp. He repeated this at least 3 times. I have never heard a catalog user bring that up.

He also justified the high price of the catalog, because it costs a lot to produce. He claims 75% of customers prefer subscription model. (Would rather pay $500 for one year of access than $500 for lifetime?) Was really excited about upcoming features which are shockingly not there already including keyword search and bundling of countries by region or colony instead of alphabet. Totally dodged the question about download/offline access because he claimed you can get internet anywhere.

He is just really out of touch. And he is much younger than I expected, but I guess not young enough to be somebody to lead technological change.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   08:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe that Jay is another victim of bad advice and information. Would love to know the source of the statistics.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6461 Posts
Posted 05/30/2022   08:24 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a potential purchaser, but I find the Maury paper catalogues' inclusion of colour images of all stamps extremely helpful
Valued Member
Canada
59 Posts
Posted 05/31/2022   11:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add helder to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hi Rodney,
It is not that hard but I am working on a video tutorial on how to do this, I have most of the script writen for the tutorial and just have to record it. I'll let you know when it is done (hopefully in next few weeks).
Don

I'm also curious about your "master pdf", Don.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3403 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   06:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jay is the editor so therefore a spokesman for the company. I would not expect him to say anything different in an interview.

The interviewers (both likely to be on APS or APRL board in August) did not follow up on the question about online competitors.

Jay did note that there will be some grouping packages such as British Commonwealth.

However, he was not quite correct about Microsoft Office. Microsoft sells a one time purchase (I have the 2019 version) as well as the Office 365 subscription.
Al
Edited by angore - 06/01/2022 06:42 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8304 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   08:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Scott's new subscription model looks more ill-advised every time I revisit it. I don't believe they understand who their customers are at all. This decision has all the hallmarks of something cooked up in order to try and meet a revenue goal instead of a need and it ends up accomplishing neither. For $550/annually you get the same info with new issues added. It adds no value to the equation for anyone really. A real head scratcher.

This is another topic that points out the lack of true philatelic journalism that asks hard questions and is not afraid to step on institutional toes.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
607 Posts
Posted 06/01/2022   11:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I strongly suspect that they will struggle to get enough uptake of digital subscriptions at the new price points given the limited feature set (basically imaged Procrustean print pages and neither download nor perpetual access to the last paid subscription year).

I do believe they'll have to discount prices on this offering sooner rather than later.

It's a pity Amos/Scott didn't put their efforts toward at least starting work on a real database driven catalogue. Starting with the US Specialized (which is proclaimed as their best selling ) . But their IT staffing is skeletal -- in the interview didn't Jay Bigalke say that it's basically one guy and he...? And he can't be doing much if he, too, is scanning stamps in addition to all his other duties .....
Wouldn't surprise me if they are in real trouble in five years.

Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 4,815Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05