Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Postcard Ww 2, Melilla To Russian Front, Division Azul, With Charity Tax Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 843Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
204 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jossanders52 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just acquired a very interesting postcard mailed from Melilla (Spanish city in Northern Morocco) mailed to the Russian front in March 1942.
I purchased it for my collection of Revenue and Cinderella stamps of
Spanish Morocco, Tanger , Melilla and Ceuta.
I like to make a write up for this card and I like any input/ advice you can give me please.

The backside of the cards reads I believe

Melilla marzo 3 de 1942. Querido amigo Javier: acabo de recibir la tuya (carta) y me pongo inmediatamente a escribirte. Como sabrás por los míos, sigo recuperándome (...) aunque me anima a pensar que pronto estaré en el frente con mis camaradas. El tiempo no termina de mejorar aquí pero siempre es mejor que el que tenéis en Rusia. Ayer estuve en el Hospital Militar y me dijeron que regrese para (...), lo cual me da una envidia que no te puedes ni imaginar. Saludos a los camaradas y un fuerte abrazo de tu amigo..Jesús Montilla. Arriba España

Google translation:
Melilla March 3, 1942. Dear friend Javier: I just received yours (letter) and I immediately start writing to you. As you will know from mine, I am still recovering (...) although it encourages me to think that soon I will be on the front lines with my comrades. The weather doesn't stop getting better here but it's always better than what you have in Russia. Yesterday I was in the Military Hospital and they told me to come back to (...), which makes me envious that you can't even imagine. Greetings to the comrades and a big hug from your friend... Jesus Montilla. Go Spain.

The front side reads I believe:
Javier Cluvet M????
...... Ruso
Feldpost 18125C

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   12:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part 2 The Division Azul, the blue division.
Although Francesco Franco tried to be neutral during WW 2 he several times halfheartedly offered to join the Axis, Germany and Italy.
But basically Spain was still recovering from the devastating Civil war just a few years earlier. This Civil war was won by the Nationalist Falange party with the material and financial help of Fascist Italy and Nazi Germany.
To partly pay of his debts to Germany, Franco offered Spanish volunteer troops under the condition that they only would fight on the Eastern front against Bolshevism (Russian Communists). These volunteers were trained in Germany before being send to the front. A total of some 45,000 Spanish volunteered on the Russian front and some 4,500 perished. These Spanish troops were instrumental in the siege of Leningrad.

On the card is written VIVA LA DIVISION, meaning long live the division (Azul division)
There are multiple sensor marks on the card.

The large blue rectangle is a Spanish military sensor mark stamped in Sevilla, southern Spain.
There are 2 German Wehrmacht (?) handstamps with the part of the Feldpost 25C readable. Feldpost= Field Post.
There are some other marks on the postcard not yet deciphered by me.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 03/28/2022   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Part 3, the charity stamp of Melilla

The stamp shown is a 0.05 Peseta Charity tax stamp against unemployment.
It was issued 1937 during the Spanish civil war.
So the usage on a 1942 card was a late use
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 04/30/2022   9:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Flag of Spain under Franco
1945 - 1977
So the card of 1942? was a precursor?

Noted between the pillars of Hercules
The intracasies of the jewelled crown are muted, that is what happened to the design on my Farmacia 10c Label.

Plus Ultra = Further Beyond.

Valued Member
463 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   11:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've no information to add.
Just wanted to say what a great card. Historical interest, nice auxiliary marks, and in excellent condition.
Pat
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
J Cabanas appears to have been a prolific illustrator of Propaganda.
Jstor

Valued Member
Spain
354 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   8:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
(....) 1.- of my wounds
(....) 2.- latest
The military uprising (coup d'état) was on 07/18/36 and the shield was adopted by Decree of the Provincial Government of the rebels on 08/29/1936.
In Spain we use DD/MM/YYYY format
Valued Member
Spain
354 Posts
Posted 05/01/2022   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Roberto59 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Things of the online translator; Provisional Government of the rebels
(....) 2 To return to the hospital at the end of the month "ÚLTIMOS"
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6460 Posts
Posted 05/02/2022   02:01 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's 8 March, not 3 March, by the way.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 05/02/2022   03:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Deleted
Edited by rod222 - 05/02/2022 03:34 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 05/02/2022   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   09:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Roberto, thanks for help to complete the translation.
Others also thanks for your inputs.

The card is still in excellent condition. The "Feldpost 18125C" indicates that the card was delivered close to the front lines. However the excellent condition makes me think that the card did not see actual " fighting"

Rod, I think you are correct that the shield (escudo) of Spain became part of the flag design in 1945

This card must be quite rare. A rare origin in Melilla part of Spain in north Africa and destination the Russian front in 1942. This card forced me to do a lot of research and reading, one of the pleasures of philately.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1737 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   09:58 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Coat of arms on the postcard is shown on the Flag of Spain 1938-1945. Note the raised beak of the eagle.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/...%931945).svg
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35497 Posts
Posted 05/03/2022   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nicely solved !

The printer of the card, also printed "Film Heralds" 1936 - 1966
MARTI, MARI Y Co Barcelona

https://www.biblio.com/ephemera/doc...d/1461529851
Edited by rod222 - 05/03/2022 2:37 pm
Valued Member
United States
204 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   02:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I just mounted the WWII Melilla card mentioned in this thread.
Thanks a lot for all the input given to me. This forum is amazing

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
1505 Posts
Posted 05/19/2022   03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Noted between the pillars of Hercules
The intracasies of the jewelled crown are muted, that is what happened to the design on my Farmacia 10c Label.

Plus Ultra = Further Beyond.

Both elements date to the reign of Charles I (Holy Roman German Emperor Charles V).
In Roman times there were sayings 'Nec plus ultra' and 'Non plus ultra' meaning 'nothing more further beyond.' This was based on the Greek legend of Hercules marking the end of the world by placing these pillars on the Straight of Gibraltar.

With Cristóbal Colón's (Columbus) journeys, the expansion of the Spanish Empire started. It expanded beyond the Straight of Gibraltar. The Spanish motto 'Further beyond' reflects this. In this way, it does not just mean Spain expanded beyond the Pillars of Hercules, but also was the motto for going beyond existing limits and expanding the empire.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 843Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.24 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05