Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

GBps Great Britain Philatelic Society Penny Red Plating Tool

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 651Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 03/30/2022   7:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Stamps4Life to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I am trying to figure this tool out. I dont understand how the hash marks are taken into account when measuring / or how they are arriving at the values for the measurement. For the Q and the C I have placed a "3" where I believe it to be. The spots to be measured are noted by the red line. For the Q the red line is closer to the green 4, but they are calling the measurement 4- and not a 3 + how many hash marks.... So are they taking the number closest to the measurement point, in this case 4, and because the red line is on the downside or "-" from 4, adding a "-" to get 4- ???

Next the C. The red measurement line is in the middle of the C which is closer to the 3. The red line is on the downside from the 3 so 3- ?? The hash marks themselves do not get counted?

link for the site: https://www.gbps.org.uk/tools/plati...ructions.php

Send note to Staff
Edited by Stamps4Life - 03/30/2022 7:23 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 03/30/2022   11:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Stamps4Life,

I wouldn't waste my time or sanity with this.

Save the imprimatur sheets to your computer and trust your eyes.

For the missing stamps, see here:

http://www.maltesex.com/missing_imprimatur/

We'll help you along
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 03/31/2022   11:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bobby - hi there - thanks for the link. I also have downloaded plate 124. Is there a way to download a range of plates instead of having to click each one individually ? There is also a great reference on the site gbps, REVISED SECOND EDITION VOLUME 1 PLATE CHARACTERISTICS & AA-BL EDITED BY MIKE BATTY.... I was not intending to use the e gauge as a sole reference, but as a supplement and was hoping to figure it out. Its particularly hard as I dont have a lot of these stamps to look at in person - just 1 or 2 and I dont understand, once the computer image is enlarged how details such as sun rays, etc, can be used.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 03/31/2022   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No, you'll have to download each one separately.

Initially time consuming, but once done you'll have them, and if the website goes down you won't have to worry!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   12:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
is it helpful to have the back of the sheets too??

Also, in reference to the trying to figure out how the measurements are taken, the e-guage is really not different form the older original measuring tool, right?
Edited by Stamps4Life - 04/02/2022 12:08 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   12:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What stamp are we talking about here?
Plate 124?
I can only see Plate 46-91
Edited by rod222 - 04/02/2022 12:39 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   12:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What stamp are we talking about here?

http://goscf.com/t/80603

Ive been trying to figure all this out. Quite interesting area.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Right, I only have the catalogue for Plates 46-91 Die 1

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   12:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the Plating Tool for the Roland Brown system
with 2 pages of corrigenda.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice. Thanks rod. I've been trying to figure out the above on how measurements are derived. I am now guessing that the hash marks themselves are just indicators and not counted. i.e., 4.3, 4.2, etc for 3 and 2 hash marks past 4 for instance. And that whole numbers them selves are what's needed and a + / - to indicate closeness to the number. Hope im making sense in my description.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35507 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   2:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If we get a penny red with known plate between 46 and 91
we can have a play, and figure just what is required for the using the tool and catalogue.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   2:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So I could screen shot one. But as far as how that translates and at what resolution then have to deal with the "correct" real life size and then get it to the 800 dpi may be above my pay grade.
Valued Member
Canada
493 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   2:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
photo deleted
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Edited by Casey Magoo - 04/02/2022 9:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   2:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ok, ill try this one. Edit - I do not know how to measure the perf from computer?? And I could look up Alphabet, but am pressed for time now.

Friend of family son passed this am and have to now go.

I came up with a 6-, b 5+, c 3+ , d 4. I guessed little on d as the perf cut into the box. I choose the D H, H D

I took a screen capture of the stamp then charged it to as close 800 dpi as I could. Guessing I did that correct?
Edited by Stamps4Life - 04/02/2022 3:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stamps4Life,

No you won't need the back of the sheet, just the front.

You'll find the imprimaturs here:

https://www.gbps.org.uk/information...phabet-I.php

Note the navigation menu on the left of the screen.

Casey Magoo,

Wrong stamp. We're talking about penny stars, with letters only in the lower corners
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
609 Posts
Posted 04/02/2022   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamps4Life to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tks bobby.

I thought Casey Magoo threw those up because rod asked for an ex from plates 46-91 to try and work on the measuring tool. But, I guess too that 46-91 could be perf'd ?.... Anyhow, for the H D I came up w/ plate 94 - not confident at all on that as I didn't have the perf size or alphabet.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 651Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05