Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Vintage Repro Pages. Need 3 Ring Binders.

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 498Next Topic  

United States
2 Posts
Posted 04/12/2022   1:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add traderCraig to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Have Vintage Reproduction pages, need 3 ring binders..Want 1-2" rings, because I dislike handling the huge heavy larger Green Scott binders..I keep them flat, and need recommendation on affordable alternative that is large enough to handle the pages...
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Canada
492 Posts
Posted 04/12/2022   5:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Casey Magoo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Use the search tool. There are many options out there and people have discussed them and posted photos.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
my best friend has four legs
and a soft pillow
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 04/12/2022   6:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The small Scott 3-ring binders have 1.25-inch diameter rings.
Pillar Of The Community
1077 Posts
Posted 04/17/2022   4:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The large green 3-ring Scott binders just seem way too large to me, but I've found the smaller one is a very nice binder, as rogdcam has mentioned. At least I can actually pick it up. And it has an available slipcase which I always use with my albums. The drawback is you'll need a lot more of the small-size binders than the larger ones. I'd say it's worth it, though, but if you're on a tight collecting budget, maybe not. You could always order one of each, I suppose, and see which looks best for what you want. I imagine the smaller one will work best.

One thing to be aware of about these Scott ring binders, and it's especially noticeable with the larger one, is the depth of the binders. By that I mean how deep (wide) the cover is on the bookshelf or your work surface. It's enormous. The binders do not fit on normal bookshelves comfortably. They will stick out an inch or two which I find unappealing. The slipcase helps with that problem. On your desk, a large Scott 3-ring binder is going to leave no room for anything else it's so big. Scott had to do that, I guess, to accommodate the size of the rings . . . ? Not sure. As I said, I find this more noticeable with the large binder, although oddly they're both described as having the same cover depth.

The one odd thing is that Scott's pricing (AmosAdvantage is the website) has both the large and the small binder at the same price. Consequently, I imagine a lot of people figure they're getting more for their money by buying the larger binder. But then I'd be stuck with an enormous binder I could barely pick up -- so I'd get the smaller one. It will fit Vintage Reproduction pages, I imagine.

Other likely candidates can be found by browsing Amazon, probably under "Office Products". A three-ring binder I see people mention as a good one a lot is made by "We R Memory Keepers". I think it's supposed to hold three-ring photo pages, hence the odd name. I have one or two and they are very well made. They may come in different widths. I've seen some "leather"-like binders listed on Amazon that would work well and class up any collection.

Lighthouse also makes 3-ring binders, a few of which are nice. Their popular padded cover Vario F binder, however, is probably too small. And most of the others I've seen are too thick to be comfortable to pick up. A lot of the thick binders appear to be designed for passive storage more than actual handling. I'd avoid thick binders just for that reason. "Around" 2 inches thick (give or take) seems best to me as the human hand can actually pick one of those up when it's filled with pages. Then there's the massively large Scott International binder whose thickness approaches 5". When filled with pages, you cannot pick it up with one hand, and if you drop it, good luck. After you get back from the hospital for your foot injury, you're likely to find your binder is badly damaged. I have no idea who buys these.

Most three-ring binders are going to be sized (height and width) for standard 8.5 x 11" paper which I imagine won't fit VR pages, so obviously look for larger binders (like the above mentioned). Most office supply store binders are cheaply made, too small in height and width, and won't last long.

Also, Scott's ring binders have metal hinges for the sake of longevity. It's a great way to make sure your binder doesn't get sloppy and worn out too soon. Normal binders develop wear and (literal) tear along the hinges and so have to either be taped up or replaced. The metal hinge is reasonably well covered by the covers, so it's not as ugly as you might expect.

Good luck. And, yes, there are other threads here about "binders" you might want to browse.
Edited by DrewM - 04/17/2022 4:52 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6459 Posts
Posted 04/17/2022   5:04 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From memory, the Lighthouse Grande binder will take Scott pages, but you'd need to check against the website.
United States
2 Posts
Posted 04/19/2022   11:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add traderCraig to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
DREW M ..Thanks for comprehensive review...I agree about larger Scott binders...I have 3 and they are nice, but quite cumbersome... Am still researching, affordability is key. Scrapbook binders may be my path forward, have found a few with D-rings, 1 1/2 ", 12 inch covers...still lokking...
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   06:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The scrapbook binders I have used are We Are Memory Keepers Letter size 3 ring and the 12x12-inch. They have a soft thick leather like cover. They do not have a ring open assist for opening. They will not meet a "stamp collector look".
Al
Edited by angore - 04/20/2022 06:35 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 498Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05