Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Best Free Jpg To PDF Maker?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   02:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message

Have 400 Japan Prefecture stamp images at 600dpi each
Would like to create a *.pdf of say 30 stamps to a page with image names.

Any suggestions?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   02:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

You could do it online, or use LibreOffice Writer (ie: free MS Office alternative).

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   03:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Cheers Bobby,
just learning here, I can do it in Win10, but very few options
background colour, shape of images etc.

I'll chase up the online route. Thanks.
Learn More...
United States
10538 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   03:48 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In Windows 10 (or 11), ANY application can be used to create a PDF; simply use the 'Print To PDF' option. For example, layout your jpgs into a document, then select Print and then 'Print To PDF'. (Find 'Print To PDF' under 'Select Printer')
Don

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
766 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   07:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add itma to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No one has specifically addressed Rod's need to insert the file name. Typing in 400 file names would be a real chore.

One suggestion is to use a photo album software. I used to use one of these and could print out sheets with thumbnails with file names. This would, of course, depend upon being able to print a large enough "thumbnail". I suspect that Word or OpenOffice/LibreOffice would support a macro to do this. Perhaps the file list could be imported into an Excel or Open/LibreOffice spreadsheet with a template that would place the image into an adjacent position. Or maybe there is some simpler way of doing this but, sorry, I can't think of anything offhand.
Edited by itma - 04/20/2022 08:08 am
Learn More...
United States
10538 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   08:43 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No need for a application, just use Windows File Manager

Open the folder in Windows
Select up to 35 images files you want in the 'contact sheet'
Right click one of the images you have selected
Click on Print from the drop down menu
Select 'Contact Sheet' from page layout
Select Print To PDF

Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2557 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   08:47 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

What you're looking for is called a Contact Sheet in the photo biz, and most photo management software can create one. I'm about 99.9% certain the newer versions of ACDSee will do it -- what version do you have? That would likely be your best bet as you already have it and are already familiar with it.

If you get really desperate, here's an old piece of software that is now free that will do it, though it's not very intuitive at first. If you decide to give this a try and have trouble, let me know. I managed to get it to work, but had to change several settings.

EDIT: Sniped by Don! Typing too slow, I guess!
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Edited by PostmasterGS - 04/20/2022 08:48 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   09:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aha! Thanks Don, Postmaster, Frank,
the wisdom of the crowd !

So, I can do the 400 perfectly using my FREE fastone image viewer,
which gives me the colours and Text strings perfectly (Contact Sheet)

That gives me 25 Pages.

Now, can I stich these together in a *.PDF 1 to a page ?
(I'll try Don's route tomorrow morning)

(Apologies for the "human" text, used when quick sorting the 400
for ID)

Edited by rod222 - 04/20/2022 09:37 am
Valued Member
Canada
312 Posts
Posted 04/20/2022   2:14 pm  Show Profile Check clivel's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add clivel to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Actually, one option would be AlbumEasy.

to use it you would need to get the list of file names into a text file. The quickest and easiest way of doing so is via the Command Prompt if you are even slightly familiar with it:
  • Open a command prompt
  • Navigate to the folder containing your image files
  • issue the command: dir /b /a-d > myimages.txt

The command dir /b /a-d > myimages.txt will list all files in the folder into a text file called myimages.txt.

Edit the text file using a text editor or word processor and insert before each filename:
STAMP_ADD_IMG(40 30 "

and after each file name
" "" "" "" "")

So, for example, for an image called img001.jpg you would end up with:

STAMP_ADD_IMG(40 30 "img001.jpg" "" "" "" "")

Every 40 or so stamps, depending on how many you would like on a page, insert a PAGE_START command
and every 5 or so stamps, depending on how many you would like to a row issue a ROW_START command.
Open the text file in AlbumEasy and press the generate button to create your PDF.

After which you can customise the page if you like, add titles, image borders, different coloured backgrounds etc.

It is probably easier to do than it is to describe. If you are able to create a text file with image files names in it, send it to me (send a PM for my email address), and I can set up the basic framework for you.

Clive
AlbumEasy - Free software for creating custom stamp album pages
PSGSA - The Philatelic Society for Greater Southern Africa

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3402 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For the very simple image editing tasks (resize or crop), I will use the ancient Microsoft Paint for simplicity and then you can print it to a PDF as Don noted.
Al
  Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05