Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Options For Mail To Australia ?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 818Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/21/2022   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rod222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,
considering an option of full set of Billigs from NY
Apparently here downunder we have a problem
As Australia is currently not accepting packages from the United States sent via Priority Mail.

Any suggestions of a best mail option? 5 Kg?

Send note to Staff

Learn More...
United States
10538 Posts
Posted 04/21/2022   6:04 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rodney,
Take a look at https://www.apc-pli.com/parcel-service.html - I do not have personal experience but have heard others speak well of them
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/21/2022   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd contact the seller (assuming it's a business) and explain the situation to see who they use as an alternate international shipper. They may or may not be flexible as to whose service they will use.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   12:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is the Airmail M-Bag for printed matter all to one addressee. Different from Priority and as such perhaps Australia accepts that mail now. Basic price is for the first 11 pounds with an additional cost per pound over that. As you say 5Kg, it should work, but if over 11 lbs by one guide, perhaps the thinnest could be mailed separately at letter rate. That may beat the additional pound charge.

Edited for spelling.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/22/2022 12:13 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   02:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Many Thanks to all
Awaiting information from the Library, on how many they
will approve to sell to me.
Ergo the weight.
I can then use your suggestions to choose a freighter.
I'll keep in touch here.

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
6459 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   04:15 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Doesn't the US offer an economy (i.e. surface/sea) option? As an example, five kilos from here to New Holland would be around thirty quid.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
786 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   07:55 am  Show Profile Check 64idgaf's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 64idgaf to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

I recall when you first raised the likelihood of a purchase from the US, I suggested discounted mint stamps for pre-payment of postage.

I don't know if it is a valid option. I looked for info on the USPS website and it gave me everything except an answer.

John
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
8295 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
USPS SERVICE BULLETIN:

Quote:
The Postal Service™ has temporarily suspended international mail acceptance to Australia due to service impacts related to the COVID-19 pandemic. The service disruption affects First-Class Package International Service® (FCPIS®), Commercial ePacket (CeP), International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) packets, International Priority Airmail® (IPA®) M-Bags, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) packets, International Surface Air Lift® (ISAL®) M-Bags, and Airmail M-Bags.

Apparently M-Bags are out as well.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   10:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! fascinating stuff, I think the lass at the Library knows what she is doing, hope to get a reply Monday
Thanks for the contributions.

Quote:
As an example, five kilos from here to New Holland would be around thirty quid.

Must be cheaper than that, there is a New Holland Tractor dealership in Penns !

Edited by rod222 - 04/22/2022 10:30 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1166 Posts
Posted 04/22/2022   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just get one of the transporters shown on the left stamp and send Scotty the coordinates. However, you may need to not run the Billigs out of Canada as the USA doesn't have such a stamp. (See below).

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 04/22/2022 8:51 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nobbled !

I can purchase the Billigs for $3 each (US)
(excited)

US restriction of 4Lbs (whom used Lbs these days?)
I have to get 10 parcels sent to me priority.

Postage total $700 US (Yep that's right)

That makes it around $1100 - $1200 Aussie dollars total
(I'll offer the librarian some money for her hard work)

I'll have to abort the purchase and keep on looking locally

It is a strange time, I have money to buy things,
but fail just about every time
I want a shed built, and can find no one to do it.
... and homelessness is rising here

It's hard to make sense of it all

PS Paypal not accepted, Credit card only.
Edited by rod222 - 04/26/2022 6:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

If the librarian is willing to work with you, find a courier to do the job.

It'll be nowhere near US$700 I'm sure.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your encouragement Bobby,
I am a great believer, things happen for a reason,
Desire is the root of all suffering.

I'll just accept this is the way things are, I was not happy either
with Credit Card Payments, International freight reliance.

Things I am sure will look up,
Mr. Billig and I , will make friends, sometime in the future

I'll email local major auctioneers, with my search for Billigs
and take my chance with fate.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2557 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   8:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Have you considered having them shipped from the US to Canada, then forwarded to Australia? I seem to remember reading somewhere that Canada has resumed most services to Australia. You could either find a Canadian on the forum willing to help or use a service like this.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2557 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   8:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

Or, if you don't want to miss out on the deal, buy them and have them shipped to me. I can hold onto them for you until a reasonable shipping method is available.
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Pillar Of The Community
United States
962 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   8:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about media-rate? (Book rate) Is that available to overseas? It would take forever, but might not be too expensive.

How about someone like DHL, or some other W/W shipper?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 818Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.25 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05