Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

US Options For Mail To Australia ?

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 815Next Topic
Page: of 2
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/26/2022   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postmaster,
I'll email you off forum.
Jim offered me the same service
I just don't want friends to be caught up in something
that goes haywire.

I have dealt with you prior, so I'll send you my invoice
and you can take a read of it, and form your own opinion.

The weird freight option and credit card had me suspicious.
$3 a Volume is an absolute BARGAIN.
It would be hard to miss.

Thanks for the offer.
I am good for anything up to $1,000 but nothing more.

PS: Going by Alicia's est of 4lbs x 10 parcels, that's 18Kg not 5Kg

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 04/26/2022 11:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/27/2022   01:52 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How about splitting the cost of books+shipping somehow and mailing them to some volunteer you trust in the States and who would be willing to credit card this? That co-owner would keep the books and scan them and send the scans to you, perhaps what you intended all along. Billigs might go better as PDFs by article anyway.

I am also slightly suspicious of the offer at $3 a volume. These are on Amazon books as individual volumes so expected prices should be known. You should ask about general condition. Mildew I can deal with, but not flood damage.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/27/2022 01:59 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/27/2022   03:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
HB
all is moving along, OK Thanks, I'll keep you posted
35 Billigs books would be too much to OCR
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/28/2022   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

All sorted ! Thanks to everyone involved.
I have my Billigs

Special mention to SCF member Brett, (BmBmBm)
who directed me to the Library involved.

and to all others, you know who you are

Heartfelt thanks
I am indebted.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
2030 Posts
Posted 04/28/2022   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bobby De La Rue to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Well done Rod.

I know how much you've wanted a set of the Billigs books

Should keep you busy for a while!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/29/2022   12:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations! Persistence pays off.

As to my remark about scanning, we've had other posts here about book scanners, which are admittedly not for everyone. But they do allow fast work. And I have a lot of notes, clippings, photocopies,pamphlets, etc. that I want to convert to electronic media so I've been looking at book scanners recently. The high-end ones are pretty whizzy but out of reach for me. Refurbished ones might fit the budget. The cheaper and portable ones around US$150 have some great software features, but the cheap ones all have trouble with perfect OCR due to the inside page curvature of tightly bound books, not a problem for what I want to do. Some have timers or foot pedals to move things along, many scan A3 paper so that speeds things up even more.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/29/2022   01:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks Bobby

Quote:
As to my remark about scanning,

Yes! I have desired one for years, but way out of my pocket.

Goodness knows what I would do if I had one,
I did a backup of my Stamp images last evening (3 hrs)

In the past 12 months (exactly) my stamp images have grown by 17,000
and an extra 400 or so, folders.

Of course, a lot of those images are lifts from books and catalogues,
doubling up with "Optimiser" images,
But I would say I have run 10,000 through PostmasterGS "Stampfix"

Edited by rod222 - 04/29/2022 01:24 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
35484 Posts
Posted 04/29/2022   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Book scanner.....$400 rough estimate, 1000 pages per hour

Quantity survey, and how to build it
https://diybookscanner.org/forum/vi...?f=14&t=2914

ne-h7FTMZBk
Edited by rod222 - 04/29/2022 01:17 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2849 Posts
Posted 04/29/2022   04:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nicely done and I like the V-shaped cradle. The high-end ones I'm talking about run $US450-500 and shoot books on a flat surface. It's the software for those that's the important and amazing part. It is WYSIWYG, and your laptop displays a virtual centerline to align the book. Special clips are provided to hold the open pages as flat as possible -and software removes those clips from the image. The high end ones have the ability to unbend curvature on the inside of thicker books and so allow OCR to work. Apparently has autoconversion to OCR also.
Edited by hy-brasil - 04/29/2022 04:05 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2557 Posts
Posted 04/29/2022   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PostmasterGS to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you're talking about the CZUR machines (and silimar), beware. They don't work nearly as well as advertised on books that have any stiffness in the spine. Worst tech purchase I've made in my 47 years.

I still use a Plustek OpticBook flatbed book scanner for non-destructive scanning. It works really well, though it's a time-consuming process.

For destructive scanning, like my yearly Michel catalogs, I cut the catalogs apart using an Xacto, trim the spine glue off using a Dahle rotary trimmer, and run the pages through a ScanSnap high-speed document scanner. Start to finish it takes about 3-4 hours to do a complete catalog. The total setup wasn't cheap, but for what I used to pay every year to have catalogs and other references "professionally" scanned by a book scanner, it'll pay for itself within the first year (and the quality of the end product is better).
Presenting the GermanStamps.net Collection - Germany, Colonies, & Occupied Territories, 1872-1945
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 815Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05